1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Seafoam, Seafoam, Seafoam

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bombero11, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Apr 29, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    Bombero11

Bombero11 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Its pretty simple but you can follow the instructions on the bottle....

Basically You feed 1/3 of seafoam through the vacuum line where the brake booster is on the drivers side.... You have to be careful when you feed it bc if you dump ur line in the seafoam it will cut the engine off. What i did was covered my thumb at the end of the line as it was sucking litely suck the seafoam from a short cup trying to mangage it without stalling. Once you done that cut ur truck off and leave it off for 20-30 mins.

After that crank ur truck up and rev it up and drive up and down the street with wide open throttle to get all of the excess gunk and shit out (keep on until u see no more smoke)... Watch out for Pedestrians!!!

Then dump the rest of it in ur full gas tank and wala! ur done

(im not responsible for anyones taco so dont do it if ur not sure!)

2. Apr 29, 2010 at 2:51 PM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    no thats not my truck thank god, that thing is nasty, plus its a v8.

I got those pics off a saturn forum, but im pretty sure its not a saturn motor either.

3. Apr 29, 2010 at 3:18 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    OK, thanks ![​IMG]

4. Jun 12, 2010 at 1:07 PM
    docbrown

docbrown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Eclipse 6620 AVN GPS/DVD, K&N Drop-in Air Filter, Hose clamp mod, Redline Quick Lift Elites, Bilstein 5100's at .85, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags, Weather Techs front and back, Bug Guard, and Factory Bull Bar, Wet Okole's up front, Bed Mat, LED interior lights, Fumoto Oil Valve
    I realize that this is a bit of a thread resurrection, but I just seafoamed my tacoma yesterday and the idle and acceleration is definitely much smoother. It does not accelerate any faster, but it is smoother.

I put about 1/2 the can in the crankcase and drove it for about 50 miles. Then I took a 3' length of 7/16" fuel line (the 7/16" line will fit inside the opening in the Seafoam bottle) and a universal vacuum hose coupler and connected them to the brake booster hose. This way I could sit in the cab to add the Seafoam while I could still work the accelerator pedal. I followed the directions and added slowly, cut the truck off for 5 minutes and then drove it hard until it quit smoking (took about 5 minutes for it to quit smoking). Then I went home and changed the oil. The oil was blacker than it normally is at oil change time.

If you decide to go the 7/16" fuel line, get a 4' length. Three feet worked, but it was a little tight.

5. Jul 31, 2010 at 12:52 PM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    High octane gas has zip to do with your engine being clean.
    You have just shown what you do not know about engines .

6. Aug 7, 2010 at 10:08 AM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    Just did the seafoam treatment. Just like everyone said 1/3 in oil,gas and intake vac line. Man, did it SMOKE! I'll see if anything chnged besides my wallet being 9 bucks lighter.

7. Aug 7, 2010 at 10:36 AM
    Peru

Peru Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    Isn't it easier to do it the old fashion way and stomp on the gas pedal every now and then?

I've taken motorcycle engines apart with high miles but that were ridden hard and everything was clean as a whistle and performance was excellent before the event that required the teardown which was totally unrelated to deposits

8. Aug 7, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    david7268

david7268 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRDSport
    NONE.....yet!
    Now we're talking snake oil. ;)

9. Aug 7, 2010 at 12:11 PM
    Peru

Peru Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    as Kyouto42 said -- redline or get close, you dont even need to go that far. just get close and let it run through the gears. very steep hills are great to do in 4 -- let her rip, any carbon that is built up will be blown out the ass-end and if you do it regularly it wont build up carbon as much which arguably is not good for the valves.

Someone mentioned adding it to oil. I can tell you that based on what a chemist (PhD) told me who day in and day out develops lubricants for a well know specialty lubricant company and I quote "never ever add any thing to engine oil or any oil unless specifically ok'ed by manufacturer" every manufacturer uses their own mix of additives some of which are NOT a good mix with the the additive package used by that manufacturer. Now, who do you believe. IMO its a clear cut decision.

10. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:22 AM
    Doc McCoy

Doc McCoy Untitled Offroad

Member:
    Calgary, Ab
    Vehicle:
    '98 TRD
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Headers, Borla Exhaust Custom Front & Rear Bumper, Allpro Sliders IVD Extended Front Coilovers, Total Chaos UCAs, TC Spindles, Alcan Rear Leafs, IVD Omega Rear Shocks Regeared to 4.88s, Front ARB Airlocker, Manual Hub conversion Also Mastercraft seats and sick cue ball shifters :D
    Sorry for resurrecting a 2 year old thread but I couldn't let this be the last word on Seafoam. Love it or hate it … no one is claiming that seafoam is an oil additive. The goal is not to leave the seafoam in there. You add a very small amount of seafoam to your oil almost right before you change the oil.

Once again, sorry for the resurrection.

11. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:36 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    It's still putting an additive into the oil and cycling it through the engine. Granted it's not in there for a long time, his point was things happen when you start mixing chemicals and now days different oil companies use different additives so the addition of seafoam might not produce universal effects depending on what additives are already in the engine oil. Personally, I really have no opinion on seafoam. I've never used it and don't plan to (not because I think it will harm the engine, just seems unnecessary).

12. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:35 AM
    Doc McCoy

Doc McCoy Untitled Offroad

Member:
    Calgary, Ab
    Vehicle:
    '98 TRD
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Headers, Borla Exhaust Custom Front & Rear Bumper, Allpro Sliders IVD Extended Front Coilovers, Total Chaos UCAs, TC Spindles, Alcan Rear Leafs, IVD Omega Rear Shocks Regeared to 4.88s, Front ARB Airlocker, Manual Hub conversion Also Mastercraft seats and sick cue ball shifters :D
    Traditionally an oil additive is something you add to the oil to increase it's performance. If you were to continue to do that with every oil change you'd see a change in the performance and wear of your engine. Not within the 30miles suggested by Seafoam before servicing.

I'm not sure what kind of catastrophic chemical reaction you and Peru anticipate. So, in your view, if I normally use brand oil X and and top it up with brand oil Y, I could wreck my engine? Will the different chemical additives negatively affect each other to the point of engine failure? What if I only drive it for the 30miles 'till my next service? Let's get serious for a moment here.

Like I said, love or hate Seafoam, it doesn't matter, you can't try to claim adding it to your oil wil creating a ticking engine bomb (unless you use the product wrong - RTFM).

13. Jan 31, 2012 at 11:55 AM
    dalesrn

dalesrn Tacoma TSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Southeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma PreRunner DC with TSS Package
    Borla exhaust system, Sirius Satellite Radio, Chrome package, Trailer Hitch, Clazzio Leather seat covers, TSS badging, Anytime on fog lights mod, Daytime driving lights mod, Dual backseat DVD players w/monitors, 3rd Brake Light "TSS" mod, Bed pocket lights mod, Seat belt chime mod, Bed storage compartment auxillary outlet mod, Shorty antenna, Armor Lid Tonneau Cover, Line of Fire tailgate light
    Is it too early to use Seafoam on my 2008 Taco with 42k miles. It idles smoothly and I have not had any problems with it. I change the oil every 5k miles. I have changed my plugs, cleaned the throttle body and MAF, and have a cleanable Green Air Filter which I clean every 5k miles with oil changes.

I was considering doing this as a preventative maintenance, but I do not want to create any problems.

14. Jan 31, 2012 at 11:56 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    My opinion:

It's always too early for seafoam. If it runs good don't mess with it.

15. Jan 31, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Seafoam is fine in the gas tank with the low of miles you have. It helps stabilize the fuel & will clean your injectors. I wouldn't do the seafoam treatment in the oil till over 100,000 miles. And then you add it to the oil, run the motor for 10 minutes or so, then drain it. Never add to the oil & drive it for 5000 miles.

16. Jan 31, 2012 at 5:09 PM
    dalesrn

dalesrn Tacoma TSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Southeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma PreRunner DC with TSS Package
    Borla exhaust system, Sirius Satellite Radio, Chrome package, Trailer Hitch, Clazzio Leather seat covers, TSS badging, Anytime on fog lights mod, Daytime driving lights mod, Dual backseat DVD players w/monitors, 3rd Brake Light "TSS" mod, Bed pocket lights mod, Seat belt chime mod, Bed storage compartment auxillary outlet mod, Shorty antenna, Armor Lid Tonneau Cover, Line of Fire tailgate light
    Thanks for the info. I will not mess with the Seafoam for now. I will wait until my Taco "tells" me she needs a good cleaning. I will just use some injector cleaner and add it to my gas tank.

17. Jul 13, 2013 at 7:01 PM
    Kelso619

Kelso619 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelso
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road.
    Rear/front 5100s, rear spring add-a-leaf, LED interior lights, K&N CAI 63 series
    I used 1/3 ca of seafoam now my check engine light is on. Did it through the vacuum hose. Runs great still.... Any ideas?

18. Jul 13, 2013 at 7:06 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Probably ruined your O2 sensors.

19. Feb 25, 2015 at 1:57 PM
    vanillion

vanillion Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canadia
    Vehicle:
    09 trd offroad
    long travel and some other parts
    anyone have pics of the vacuum line where you're supposed to sip the seafoam from for a 1GR-FE?

20. Feb 26, 2015 at 11:55 AM
    nut

nut she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |

Products Discussed in

To Top