1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Seafoam

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Scosh, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Oct 21, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    disassemble

disassemble Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2012 double
  2. Oct 21, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    If you buy quality gas that takes care of the injectors!

3. Oct 22, 2010 at 12:06 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
  4. Oct 31, 2010 at 9:16 PM
    subtleshift

subtleshift Noob

Member:
    First Name:
    Dallas
    Irvine, Ca
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma TRD
    K&N high flow filter, 2x Yakima bike mounts
    I ran a can in my gas tank because I was having a problem where when I stepped on the gas (pedal to the metal) and my engine would shut down, and only work if I kept constantly on the gas...

I poured in the can; fired it up and filled up the tank, instatly the problem was gone and hasn't returned since...

I figure it cleaned out my fuel filter and I need to change it, but needless to say its still working and running strong.

5. Nov 2, 2010 at 7:11 AM
    Chriskn1690

Chriskn1690 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    K&N intake and flowmaster 40 exhaust.
    I just recently purchased an 03, 4 Cylnder, 4x4, automatic tacoma. It has 76,000 on it, and it was sitting at the dealership for a considerable amount of time. The truck is really in great condition, frame looks solid (even after 7 New England wintes), and the truck runs really smooth except for when I am stopped at a light. When I am stopped at a light or stop sign and the truck is in drive with my foot on the brake the truck will start to vibrate pretty excessively. According to the dealership i bought it from it's not the brakes, not the idle speed and not the steering rack.
    Even after talking to the dealer about it I, even though I am new to the truck, feel that the vibration isn't right. It's just too much of a vibration. How can it be Normal? I dunno.
    This past weekend I changed the spark plugs, got a new air filter, changed the oil (Mobil 1), used a K&N oil filter, and ran Z-Maxx through the gas and engine. None of the above made the vibration at stop lights any smoother, so I think this weekend I will be trying the Seafoam. I read a lot about how people's idle got smoother when they used it. Now my debate is whether to use the vacuum line or just dump it in the tank. Either way, hopefully it helps with the vibration situation.
    Any other suggestions? :confused:

6. Nov 2, 2010 at 12:44 PM
    dustinclm

dustinclm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thibodaux, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 Super White DC 4x4 V6
    Bilstein 5100 set at .85" WeatherTech Floor Mats
    I plan on doing this soon through the brake booster an gas tank. Do i need to change the oil after running it through the brake booster? I keep getting mixed responses. I changed my oil last week so I do not want to have to change it again

7. Nov 2, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    soccerkidbs

soccerkidbs Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Southern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2002 D\C Prerunner SR5 TRD
    6000k HID Head light kit, K&N CAI, 2" revtek lift, LED map lights
    You should have done it before changing the plugs and oil. I did mine a few weeks ago and my truck is running great now. I drove it around 100 miles before changing the oil and it cleaned a lot out. Do the brake booster and shut it off right after and let it sit for an hour or so. My truck was also running a little rough but now feels brand new at 110000 miles.

8. Nov 2, 2010 at 1:14 PM
    dustinclm

Member:
    Thibodaux, La
    Vehicle:
    I didn't know about it before I changed everything or else I would have. I will wait until next oil change if it will mess up anything

9. Nov 2, 2010 at 2:22 PM
    dustinclm

Member:
    Thibodaux, La
    Vehicle:
    I called the seafoam company and they told me i will not need to change the oil after using it through the brake booster. I guess they have their reasons and I'll give it a try and see

10. Nov 2, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    soccerkidbs

soccerkidbs Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Southern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2002 D\C Prerunner SR5 TRD
    6000k HID Head light kit, K&N CAI, 2" revtek lift, LED map lights
    Yea you will still be fine doing it through the brake booster. If you put it in the oil I would change it soon after. My oil went from clean to dirty real quick. Just make sure you let it sit a while and soak in.

11. Nov 2, 2010 at 8:57 PM
    Chriskn1690

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    Well, I didn't join this website (being new to Tacoma's as well) until after I put fresh plugs, oil and filters into the truck; so it's too late. I don't want to go into the winter with it idling rough like this, especially these really cold New England winters, It's 29 degrees out right now as I'm typing this. Never thought of Seafoam, the garage I used to work at back in high school used to use it once in a while, but it never dawned on me to put it in this truck.
    This will be my last attempt at trying to smooth out that idle before I bring it somewhere to have it looked at. Vibrates way too much, annoying.
    I added an attachment to this, just took my first picture of the truck today :D Had an 07 tC, but got sick of drivin that thing. Very happy with Tacoma so far. . . even with the annoying idle it has.

My tacoma.jpg

12. Nov 4, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    lud3

lud3 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Red stepside sr5
    Let me know how it goes man!! I have a similar situation, 01 taco 2.7 auto just picked it up. Drives like a dream runs perfect, but when im at a light and have the brake in itll idle a little hard... Im out of maine so i hear you on the cold winters best of luck with the sea foam, im having a hard time just dumping it into a truck i just bought haha.

13. Nov 4, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    Chriskn1690

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    I'll definitely let you know. I just really dislike the way it idles when my foot is on the brake. Annoying. I have no problem putting that stuff in the engine, gives me an excuse to be outside working on the truck :D . . I just have to try and figure out where I'm going to do it now, cops are uptight in my area, and my mom will be pissed if I do that at home (yes, I still live home, I'm a full time student). Definitely want to get rid of that rough idle.
    Let me know if you come across any solutions for it please.

14. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:07 AM
    vantaco

vantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Taco Xtracab TRD Step Side
    well plugs are pretty cheap....but do you still have the old ones?

just go buy some really cheap ones from napa and throw them in for the cleaning

15. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:17 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    Weird idle with brake pushed in....or in drive gear
    Is usually a bad motor mount...most times anyway.

16. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:57 AM
    lud3

lud3 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Red stepside sr5
    I will, i think im going to give the truck another week or so before i try the seafoam. Ive only had it 2 days really so any little noise gets me thinking haha. Thanks for the post on my truck too!

17. Nov 4, 2010 at 2:45 PM
    Chriskn1690

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    I was really hoping it wasn't the motor mount, but that really makes sense. My girlfriend's mother had a 94 corolla with a bad motor mount, and her car did exactly what my truck is doing. I didn't think of that until I read your post. Thanks for that! That helps a lot.
    Now I just have to figure out:
    A.) how to get the dealership to take care of it (which I know they won't because they are grimmy at this particular one)
    B.) If i should attempt to fix this with one of my friends (who isn't an official mechanic, but damn good)
    C.) take it to a different shop and just pay for it (because I know for a fact the dealer isn't going to do it, I already brought it there twice)

Not sure what I'm going to do now, maybe have a shop diagnos it as a bad mount and take that paper work to the dealer and threaten them to fix it? Haha, I'm just not sure.

18. Nov 4, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    check it yourself first and go from there. get someone to put the truck in drive while they are holding the brake, and as they do it...watch for the motor to jump/move a bit and see what mount its moving the most at. easiest way to tell as far as im concerned. get them to repeat the process a few times til you pinpoint where its coming from, or if its another issue besides the motor mounts.

19. Nov 4, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    Chriskn1690

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    I'm going to try that this Saturday. Spent last Saturday doing the plugs and oil and everything. Will figure out what this is this weekend! I'm determined to do that much. Thanks a lot for your advice. I really appreciate it.

20. Nov 6, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    Chriskn1690

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    Well, I had an eventful day. Checked the motor mounts, they're fine. Found another thread saying that this is common when the exhaust manifold has a crack in it, so I spent about 30 minutes or so taking of the heat shield (i was highly unorganized lol) and come to find out the guy who had it before me must of had the exact same problem. The truck has headers, he replaced the exhaust manifold with some headers that really look pretty nice. Put the heat shield back on though, crappy winters here. O and there were no leaks coming from the headers either.

So, just as I go to get the Seafoam at the local AutoZone my girlfriend calls and says her check engine light is on and her car was eating the key. Couldn't get the key out of the ignition once she shut it off. So, we took her car to the AutoZone to see what was setting of her light, and i got the key out in the parking lot there. The light was tripped by a vent on the fuel tank, and come to find out the whole key thing is a new recall by Chevy (she has an 07 Coblat) that has something to do with the tranny shifter.

So, with the new info we leave AutoZone and I set home to do my Seafoam then work called me in. So, unfortunately Seafoam's gonna have to wait til next Saturday. I have work/school straight through until then.

Products Discussed in

To Top