1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Seat covers

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bowhntr26, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Apr 4, 2012 at 8:12 PM
    bowhntr26

bowhntr26 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Altoona,pa
    Ok i have a 2012 Tacoma trd sport double cab and i need a good reccommendation on a set of seat covers that are good for all year and i hunt and fish so something thats waterproof would be nice and what do you think of a bug shield and window vent visors

2. Apr 5, 2012 at 2:25 PM
    bowhntr26

bowhntr26 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Altoona,pa
    Um nothing really lol

3. Apr 5, 2012 at 2:45 PM
    BostonBilly

BostonBilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Easton
    Vehicle:
    2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Wet Okole do a search here and all kinds of info will pop up

4. Apr 5, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    trktwo

trktwo tagging shit all over the net since 2001

Member:
    First Name:
    tommy
    biloxi
    Vehicle:
    '12 Prerunner TSS stock
    Aero Turbine at2525xl, curt hitch and trailer wiring kit, weathertech vent visors, leer topper 5100s@1.75, 2" AAL, 265/70 r17 michelin at2, bbs 17x8 rd wheel (fj)/ jl stealthbox, 700/5 amp, jl 6.5s x4
  5. Apr 5, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    Doc35

Doc35 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC MGM TRD Sport Prerunner
    Your TRD Sport seats are already waterproof. Bug shield? I dunno, not sure of its usefulness. Window visors? Something I may invest in, not sure yet.

6. Apr 5, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    bubbagumps

bubbagumps Well-Known Member

Member:
    It depends on how much you want to spend. I have had various seat covers in my vehicles over the years and IMO you don't have to spend a lot of money to get decent covers that will last a good 3-5 years. You can also find covers that look pretty decent without spending a lot.

Most I ever spent was having a set of Wet Okele in my Forester and although they certainly are durable and decent looking, they are expensive and had a few things I did not like. Had a rubber smell that never went a way. They do protect your seats from water and liquids but they tend to absorb some of the water and it is slow to dry. Whenever my interior got wet from snow, rain, or what have you, it smelled like a wet dog for the next month, even after cleaning the neoprene. Sunlight and UV also can cause them to fade and I discovered this pretty quickly. You can buy products to protect and condition the neoprene from this but I never did and as a result, the color began to fade within a year. I thought it was a sales pitch to get you to buy the cleaning and protectants but if you don't the colors will start to fade and get patchy after a while.

They are also very hot in the summer. Basting in sunlight and a 105 degree interior for a few hours, its going to be like sitting on a hot plate.

All of this will apply to any neoprene cover, however.

I would make a distinction. Are you getting the covers for protection or protection and best looks? If just protection is your main concern, you do not need to spend more than $50. Just decide how much you want to spend and what materials you want then shop from there. There is no shame in getting $39 universal covers from autozone. They do not fit as well, do not look as polished but I have found they last pretty long and for the most part, get the job done. Had these on a prior car with white bucket seats. After three years and removing them only for washing, the seats looked as fresh as new. They just obviously won't look as form fitting or flashy as the more expensive ones and thats pretty much what you are paying for, IMO.

7. Apr 5, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    Ga tacoguy

Ga tacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Augusta Ga.
    Vehicle:
    Extended cab Base model 4 cyl
    Tailgate mod, horn mod,storage door mod
    If you want to add seat covers, you may want to think about the Side curtain air bags that you have on the ends of the front buckets. If there is a tag that says airbag, you may want to see if the seat covers will interfere with the airbag deployment. It is a safety airbag for protection from side impact wrecks. I know it is nice to protect the seats, but you may need the airbags too. Good Luck.

8. Apr 5, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    Devious Duck

Devious Duck Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DBL Cab TRD Off-Road/ Pyrite Mica
    I'm about to order some up from SeatSavers.com I just received some swatches of their material and plan to do the H2O covers in two tone with the TRD logos. Should be pretty cool.

9. Apr 5, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    MotorsportsAustin

MotorsportsAustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    I called to order covers from Cabela's (made by RuffTuff, nice fitted with pockets and equipment strips) and turned out to be $300+ for just the fronts, and another $300+ for the rears. Yeah, I didn't complete the order, I could have the entire truck detailed 3 times for that!

Not sure if I'll go with seat covers at all now.

To Top