1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Second Gen Aftermarket Bumper Mounting Reinforcement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JasoTaco, May 5, 2011.

1. May 5, 2011 at 12:48 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    I just picked up an All-Pro front bumper and I'm extremely pleased with it. However I can see obvious week points on my truck when it come to mounting an aftermarket bumper. On my second gen there are the three forward facing bolts on each side that primarily support the bumper however the metal is thin and week to say the least. After a few minor winch pull I can already see the metal slightly bending.

I have some ideas of how I want to reinforce how the bumper and truck mount together but was curious if anybody had any suggestions or have seen anybody do any reinforcing?

Here is a picture of the back side of one of the forward pacing bolts. You can see how thin the metal is. This was obviously not designed to hold a after market bumper and then on top of that have a winch pulling from it

[​IMG]

Not my photo but this is the front view of were the bumper mounts to the truck.
    [​IMG]

2. Jul 13, 2012 at 2:29 PM
    SAIRS

SAIRS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Super White 2012 Double Cab LB TRD SPORT
    Icon Extended Travel Stage 1, Total Chaos UCA's, Dakkar leaf pack, Beefed DCLB Sliders with extended kickout and custom BSP, Beefed Custom exo-rear tube bumper, Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft mod. Front mudflaps removed, Access LE soft tonneau cover, Weathertech digital floor mat, Weathertech window deflectors, Weathertech license plate frames. future plans = diamond plate tailgate mod, Venture Shield, TRD supercharger...the dream goes on and on....
    Bump! I need to know this too.

3. Jul 13, 2012 at 4:52 PM
    JayDirt

JayDirt I owe it all to little chocolate donuts

Member:
    interesting, let me know too.

4. Jul 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    by the way that piece is formed it appears that you would have to "tear" the face at the crease before it bent any considerable amount.

a side load from the winch would only be able to bend them if the frame bent too.

im not an engineer but any force great enough to mess those up, would mess up a lot more

5. Jul 13, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    Welcome to the quality of Allpoo. Check out how an ARB mounts to the truck. I think it has 10 or 12 mounting points to the frame.
    I would say get a fab shop to make some simple triangular plates that bolt to the frame and either weld or bolt to the bumper.

MTopp likes this.
  6. Jul 13, 2012 at 5:47 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    All-Pro's bumper also uses two holes on the bottom crossmember. Their newest bracket design has an additional web that appears to be sandwiched into the swaybar mount.

[​IMG]

7. Jul 13, 2012 at 9:32 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Relentless Fab and ARB both use braces that run to existing holes in the frame behind the mounting tabs there. I'm sure other companies do as well.

MTopp likes this.
  8. Jul 15, 2012 at 11:53 AM
    ironman44bear

ironman44bear "Toyota Mafia" MORE BALLS THAN BRAINS

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Clovis,CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Taco 4x4
    These are the brackets that I sell for my bumpers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Jul 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    ^ Now that is how is should be done. Vendors take note! (I'm talking to you All-Pro).

10. Jul 15, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    After banging my head against the wall trying to get All-Pro to fix the problem I took matters into my own hands and reinforced the mounting tabs myself. It’s still not as strong as I would like it to be but I’m much more confident in the mounts than I was before.

Props to all the bumper builders that can see this obvious week point and have actually done something tofix it. (Brute force Fabrication, Relentless Fabrication, ARB and I’m sure many others) For now All-Pro does NOT make the list.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Jul 15, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    ironman44bear

ironman44bear "Toyota Mafia" MORE BALLS THAN BRAINS

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Clovis,CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Taco 4x4
    Yeah..the front of these trucks need all the help they can get...lol