1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Second Toyota 4X4...after 30 year gap...

Discussion in 'New Members' started by 4BIT, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Aug 15, 2012 at 5:45 PM
    4BIT

4BIT [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Ontario, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab TRD
    Greetings to you all,

This is my first post and I thought I would share a bit of my Toyota story.

Short Version: My first truck was a 1982 SR5 4X4....fast forward 30 years and my second truck is a 2010 Tacoma 4X4 TRD !!!!

Long Version: Like most of you I was a truck nut waaaaaay back. The first truck I ever owned in 1982 was a slightly used Toyota SR5 4X4, 5 speed with the 22R 4 cylinder, tan with brown interior, AM/FM radio. Back then it was the best mini 4X4 you could buy, boy did I love that thing !!!!

When I joined the military I gave the truck to my Dad. He was a WW2 and Korea vet (infantry) and a fanatic about preventative maintenance. He kept that Toyota until 2009 when he had to give up his drivers license for medical reasons at the age of 83. He did all his own work and put 300,000 miles on that truck !!!! Don't let anyone tell you that PM is a waste of money !

Sadly, he passed away last month. While sorting out his personal effects I found his log book which he kept from 1985 to 2009. In a way it inspired me to get back into Toyota trucks as when I sold him the SR5 he would have been about my age now.

As for me, after many years of non-descript sedans and mini vans to ferry the kids back and forth and do all that mundane commuting, I decided I wanted a Toyota 4X4 again.

This week I purchased a 2010 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Short Box (V6, automatic). It is bone stock, in Silver Streak Mica, with only 15,000 miles. Still has a year of warranty left and the service records show that it has been in for it's first 3 services and a cracked windshield that was replaced.

Needless to say I am pretty excited and looking forward to driving, maintaining, modifying and enjoying a Toyota 4X4 after 30 years.

Thanks for listening, I look forward to sharing the roads and trails with you all via Tacoma World !!!

Cheers,

Jim

2. Aug 15, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    Jim,

Incredible first post, and i am sorry for your loss, I lost my Dad Dec 23, 2010. My Dad also enjoyed his Toyota 4x4, along with hunting, fishing, wood working, and knife collecting.

I purchased my first Toyota 4x4 xtracab brandy new in 1989. It was metallic silver. I have owned Toyota trucks ever since.

Your story was awesome. I wish you the best with your new to you 4x4. I now own a 2010 D/C which I plan to keep as I will be retiring soon after 35 years of service. If you have any questions that I can help with just ask. I did a few conservative mods to my trucks suspension which if you click on the blue lettering below my info in the left margin below post counts.

Welcome back!

Big Dave

3. Aug 15, 2012 at 6:12 PM
    4BIT

4BIT [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Ontario, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab TRD
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for the warm welcome. My Dad was a big deer hunter and got me hooked on hunting, shooting and trucks. Sounds like we are in a similar situation, I am still in the military but approaching being put out to pasture too !!!

I intend to start with basic maintenance and fluid changes, basically to put my stamp on the truck, make it mine so to speak (oh and of course start that log book). From there I want to add a few mods as I go along, there are some amazing ideas on this site.

Thanks for the offer of advice, I'll probably be taking you up on that !

Cheers,

Jim

4. Aug 15, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    Brad Lord

Brad Lord Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canon, Ga.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Chrome nerf bars and many more to come.
    WELCOME BACK...

5. Aug 15, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    Artillery68

Artillery68 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Gloucester Co., N.J.
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Super White Sport
    Rugged Cover tonneau, In channel vent visors, Hose clamp tailgate mod, Pop-N-Lock, Fog lights anytime, de- badged/removed graphics, TRD shift knob, OEM bed mat, trimmed all 4 mud flaps, LEDs in
    Welcome from N.J. :wave:

6. Aug 16, 2012 at 4:24 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Welcome to TW :wave:

Great story Jim and thanks for your service.

7. Aug 16, 2012 at 11:12 PM
    tacoma4x4girl

tacoma4x4girl Well-Known Member

Member:
  8. Aug 16, 2012 at 11:25 PM
    livel0veryde

livel0veryde Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    missouri
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma based buggy
  9. Aug 16, 2012 at 11:48 PM
    tacobot

tacobot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oakland!
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Welcome, what a great intro post. I'm very sorry about your loss. I really love that you have his maintenance log book for all those years. Enjoy your new truck. I've had my new-to-me truck for about 2.5 months; you will find all kinds of little (and not so little!) ideas on here.

10. Aug 16, 2012 at 11:50 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Welcome from BC Jim :wave:

11. Aug 16, 2012 at 11:53 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Subbed for pics of the old truck! :D

12. Aug 17, 2012 at 2:47 PM
    4BIT

4BIT [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Ontario, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab TRD
    Thank you all for your kind comments and welcomes.

It's a little embarassing, I don't have a pic of my new Tacoma yet, but as requested by Rich, here are couple of pics of my first truck that my Dad bought from me in 85 and ran his whole life. Both pics were taken in 2004 when my Dad was 78 !!!! He was a fanatic for maintenance and after 19 years he decided to get the bodywork and paint done. Note that the dark edges along the door and bottom of the body panels is from oil spray (he did himself) covered in dust. It was the bed that started to rust out and prompted the bodywork/paint job.

He made the bed cover from scrap wood and an old tarp. He would put it on every Fall to keep the snow out of the bed. I used to make fun of him driving around in his "covered wagon" !!! The decal kit was close but not exactly the same, maybe a different model year ?

Hope you enjoy the pics, looking forward to getting to know my new Tacoma along with a bunch of fantastic people on this forum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Aug 17, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    jrzyshore

jrzyshore Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    SNJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Prius TRD Offroad
    Icon extended travel coilovers and rear shocks, Dakar leaf springs, Toytec U bolt flip, extended length Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Timbren Bump stops ,TC UCAs, Street Taco (Beefedtaco) 1 1/2" CB drop, 4x Innovation DOM tube sliders with kick outs, some extended brake lines,ATO front skid plate, ATO trans skid, ATO Hi Lift brackets, 60" Hi Lift jack and a pine tree air freshener.
    Another welcome from NJ.:wave:

Products Discussed in

To Top