1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Second wire mesh layer behind Grillcraft?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Beau02, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Feb 11, 2010 at 10:26 AM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (190k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ K&N air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    Anyone out there do like THIS GUY and put a second layer of painted wire mesh behind their Grillcraft to make it less see-through? If you've installed one with or without this addition I'd be interested in your opinion.

2. Feb 11, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ K&N air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    Bump . . . :playball:

Anyone got an opinion on this? I've never seen an installed Grillcraft in person. I got in on the group buy and want to have all the necessary materials ready when it gets here - not too patient when it comes to waiting for install of new stuff...

3. Feb 11, 2010 at 3:57 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB
    Grillcraft mx black upper and lower BHLM with Gloss black 265 70 17 bfg a/t center console light mini mag mounted in center console debadged bed lights 35W 5000k HID's
    I knew it was gona be that truck. I haven't but I plan on using just a material mesh behind it if it's not dark enough. I really like when it's blacked out like his.

4. Feb 11, 2010 at 4:02 PM
    TexasIslandBoy

TexasIslandBoy THE RED DRAGON!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    South Texas. SPI
    Vehicle:
    07' trd offroad 4X4 (For Sale)
    pro comp 6inch lift 35'' tires moto 950's radfo coilovers magnaflow exhaust 5/16" front skidplate usa spec ipod interface tree pin strip mod dry drop in filter full size BFG KM2 spare
    you could just paint behind it so its black

5. Feb 11, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    I do plan to paint everything behind it black, but I just don't care for how it appears that the components are still visible in the right light.

The guy in the link used a second layer of expanded metal, which would work, but I'm wondering if one could also use a layer of painted wire mesh? Probably a 1/8" openings or so. I don't think that would really limit airflow to the point that it'd be an issue. Is that something like you're planning to use rab89? Also, while I've got your attention, thanks for getting the Grillcraft group buy together. Although late I was able to get in on it and I'm pumped!

6. Feb 11, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB
    Grillcraft mx black upper and lower BHLM with Gloss black 265 70 17 bfg a/t center console light mini mag mounted in center console debadged bed lights 35W 5000k HID's
    hey no problem, glad you got in! I was just going to go to the hardware store and find a black perforated fabric to put behind it, which will still let lot's of air through, but we'll see when I get to the hardware store.

7. Feb 11, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    BWro

BWro Well-Known Member

Member:
    I was going to use metal black screen that is used on screen doors

To Top