1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Secondary air injection switching valve.......?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NCTacoma, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Aug 4, 2016 at 7:09 PM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    lol yeah for 4 weeks about every 3 days. Went to the dealership several times, wasted my time calling back and forth with corporate faxing quotes and documents. Got tired of my truck sitting for 4 weeks and getting a coworker to pick me up every day so I said screw it and bought the bypass. It was getting to the point where the time I put into trying to get them to pay for it had FAR exceeded the $350 bypass price and I was over it and needed my truck on the road again.

It really just depends on the dealership I guess cause Corporate always wanted to contact them and see what they could do. I just couldn't figure out why corporate wouldn't foot the bill and stop trying to get the dealership to do it.

2. Aug 4, 2016 at 7:10 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    Has the Bypass Kit been working ok since you installed it?

3. Aug 4, 2016 at 7:13 PM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    yup...I did have another code come on right after install and thought the bypass was faulty but long story short it ended up being my battery was going bad from sitting for 4 weeks and not being cranked often. I have to jump it twice, as soon as I replaced the battery it has been perfect ever since. They did send me a new bypass to try but I never opened it and mailed it back after my original one worked fine after the battery was replaced.

4. Aug 4, 2016 at 7:14 PM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    one thing is for sure if/when they ever do recall this mess I'll just take my bypass off real quick and go get it replaced cause trying to get them to do it (at least in my experience) was more work and stress than installing that little guy.

Soul Surfer likes this.
  5. Aug 5, 2016 at 4:45 AM
    Mr.Gadget

Mr.Gadget Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4x4 SR5 SB/2012 DC 4x4 SR5 LB(sold)
    Take it for what it is....
    They ask me if I did anything or mods to the system said part of the reason they did mone was nothing was touched on it.
    So not sure they would have done anything if I tried to fix or clean the valves.
    Sounds like no recal.just a TSB and system will need to be stock.

6. Aug 5, 2016 at 5:33 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Which if true is fuckin rediculus .. Since we need our trucks to get to work and can't wait for Toyota to fix this shit

7. Aug 5, 2016 at 5:41 AM
    Mr.Gadget

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Yep and they did not like me reading the codes and using a scanner.
    No facts or hard info but they knew I reset codes with the battery and scan tool...

8. Aug 5, 2016 at 5:45 AM
    Mr.Gadget

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Guess is it also like the springs.

They will not do anything about my rear springs because I added air bags.
    Said Toyota said only stock intact systems will be looked at or worked on. Modified systems are on their own.

That does not say dealer that knows you will not do differently. ...

9. Aug 5, 2016 at 5:49 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    I'd go to a different dealer

10. Aug 5, 2016 at 6:02 AM
    Mr.Gadget

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Been to several, even a corporate store and the largest dealer in the area.
    Lot of miles driven to have someone else look into it.
    One said the truck was overloaded....
    Had a TW of about 200 and traiker with ATV I would guess 2000 to 2500 lb and the bed had a bag of feed.
    Puller out scale so they could see and ask why it was on the bump stops...
    They said over loaded.
    So I added air bags.

Not time for a different dealer...
    It is time for a different Brand....

11. Aug 5, 2016 at 7:31 AM
    Mr.Gadget

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    I'm shocked.....
    They have had it all week dropped it last weekend.
    The got it back to me only to have more codes and problems after I wss able to get it and drive to work thursday. They come got it had it all day thinking I would get it back by day end.
    End of day they state they need to let a tech run live stream on it driving it home and keeping it over night.
    Said they will contact me first thing Friday.
    They oped at 630 and it is now 1030, no calls.
    Trying calling a few times can get no one in service..

12. Aug 8, 2016 at 5:52 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    12' Mag gray Doublecab 4x4
    Distinct Offroad light bar, Rigid E-series and amber duallys, Leer 100xq, Oem roof rack, Oem bed mat, Bullculla trailer plug relocate bracket, Rear diff vent mod, front mud flap chop, Color matched Grille w/Andres devil horns, Wet okoles and weathertechs
    Same here, I don't understand why Toyota wont be consistent across all dealerships. I'm lie everyone else I exhausted so much time going back between dealer and corporate that I couldn't wait any longer and needed my truck back on the road.

I am with Mr. Gadget though, this truck has had the most issues out of any vehicle I have had before 60k. Not sure what Toyota is doing but reliability doesn't seem to be a priority here. I used to tell myself the price premium for the Toyota and MPG worse then most fullsize trucks would be worth it since hey its a super reliable Toyota truck....

13. Aug 8, 2016 at 7:49 PM
    Mr.Gadget

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    I got the truck back from the dealer late sat.
    Took a week with needing to return because more codes.

They say it was different codes, some type of evap code and needed to have it a few days.

So the good thing I have two days on it and no problems.

Looks like I will start pulling my air bags, front Hitch and other parts along with them put the camper cover for sale.
    Just don't trust it and dont want to waste more time.
    Talked to a dealer about getting a Ram and they offered me a good trade along with letting me pull some parts off, so it is time to move on with this one.

Funny thing the other truck has the same miles, one year older and no shop or down time..
    Talking to some of the people at the dealer there are a high number of problems with 2012 and newer trucks.
    Got friends that are life time toyota owners and they will not buy the newer ones.
    Offered for sale around trade value with no takers so it will just go trade.

14. Sep 6, 2016 at 8:04 AM
    ragingtaco

ragingtaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trieu
    Jax,FL
    Vehicle:
    '12 4x4 V6 TRD SPORT DC
    Hey guys,

Another taco down! Same two codes as everyone reported. Woke up this morning, tried to go to work, floored it get on the highway and all of a sudden it went limp, even the prius behind me was flashing their lights at me for going 35 MPH. Pulled over drove back to the house and got it towed to dealership. Guy from dealership calls me telling me they need to charge me $140 for diagnostics fee before anything happens.

So how many got happy endings from the dealership with this issue so far?

15. Sep 6, 2016 at 8:07 AM
    Alloutdrs1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Distinct Offroad light bar, Rigid E-series and amber duallys, Leer 100xq, Oem roof rack, Oem bed mat, Bullculla trailer plug relocate bracket, Rear diff vent mod, front mud flap chop, Color matched Grille w/Andres devil horns, Wet okoles and weathertechs
    If you are able to work on your own truck, don't pay the $140 and get your truck back. Order the parts and fix yourself. Hardly anyone has received support from Toyota on this, even if your still under powertrain and emission warranties.

ruffridha9 likes this.
  16. Sep 6, 2016 at 8:12 AM
    ragingtaco

ragingtaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trieu
    Jax,FL
    Vehicle:
    '12 4x4 V6 TRD SPORT DC

Too late already agreed to it. I should be able to replace it myself. Panicked this morning when it happened as I was late for work and there's lot of projects right now so I can't really take any downtime with my truck. I'm just hoping the Midwest dealerships are more decent than others but losing hope as I read all the posts.

17. Sep 6, 2016 at 8:18 AM
    Alloutdrs1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Once you have the parts, the repair doesn't take that long, I had mine up and running in 30min. I was lucky and found the parts local and the dealership I found them at matched the cheapest online price I found. Good Luck!

18. Sep 6, 2016 at 11:14 AM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4

I am still running the bypass with no issues, I saw no help from the dealer or corporate after 1 month of down time and didn't see a reason to replace parts that would go bad again. Bypass is the route I went.

19. Sep 6, 2016 at 11:26 AM
    Mr.Gadget

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    No worries.
    Call them and tell them to do nothing before you talk to them abd. Do not agree to pay anything other then to see what is wrong.

Next call toyota tell them what happened and it is unsafe plus you are really worried about even getting behind the wheel any more.

Push them to talk to the dealer and pay for it.
    Call dealer and tell them you will not pay, if needed you will tow and consider selling as is or trade and move on.

They will call you back abd Toyota will also with a one time offer to pay and warrenty it for a year or two.

Worked for me. It took a few calls and days but I paid nothing.
    They covered it, come got the truck, even replaced other parts.

20. Sep 6, 2016 at 11:27 AM
    ragingtaco

ragingtaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trieu
    Jax,FL
    Vehicle:
    '12 4x4 V6 TRD SPORT DC
    Thanks Simon. Kinda pissed off that our 32K trucks is crapping out already. Mine is only at 57K miles. Can't believe a supplemental system would render the truck almost completely useless. Why can't it just break and throw a little bit more smog out? I'd be fine with that.

On lighter note, how have you been man? Missed going to the JAX meets down there since I moved.

Products Discussed in

To Top