1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Secondary air injection switching valve.......?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NCTacoma, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Oct 25, 2016 at 9:11 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Yes, it is possible the valve loosened and is now functional again. It will return, I would bet on it.

shakerhood likes this.
  2. Oct 26, 2016 at 4:36 AM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    12' Mag gray Doublecab 4x4
    Distinct Offroad light bar, Rigid E-series and amber duallys, Leer 100xq, Oem roof rack, Oem bed mat, Bullculla trailer plug relocate bracket, Rear diff vent mod, front mud flap chop, Color matched Grille w/Andres devil horns, Wet okoles and weathertechs
    It will return, mine did this a well for two days before going into full limp mode. The rubber around the rear most valve comes apart as well and it could be getting lodged in there periodically for now.

Also I see your in Ohio, if its getting cold there below 40* the system doesn't run.

3. Oct 26, 2016 at 7:22 PM
    Chephie

Chephie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB TRD OR
    OME884/5100's Wheelers Progressive AAL LR UCA's 265/75/16 Duratrac Method NV wheels Color matched grille surround ImMrYo rear view mirror relocation bracket Avid slider/steps
    Thanks for the replies, guess I'll wait it out and see what happens...

4. Nov 4, 2016 at 9:47 AM
    joshcannonball

joshcannonball New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Trail Teams Edition
    First post here and just signed up to chime in. Add me to the list of people with 2012 Tacomas ready to lose your mind over this problem. I’ve only had this truck for a few months; bought it from a Toyota dealership it currently has 60K miles on it.

Yesterday driving to work got the lights on and went into limp mode. Got it home and let it sit for a bit and then it seemed to be okay accelerating but the lights were still on. Took it to Toyota yesterday and was reading the dreaded P2442 secondary air injection valve. They cleared the code and drove it around; cleared again they deemed it okay and charged me $60 for the code read. Leave to drive to work again this morning and bam, the lights back on and the thing is back into Limp Mode with barely any power.

Toyota telling me its not covered and quoted me $2141.00 plus 13% in taxes to fix it. When I bought this truck 9 months ago I purchased the extra ECP warranty so I am waiting now to see if it’s covered under that. If I spend a couple extra grand on a bumper to bumper warranty, and if they tell me this isnt’ going to be covered under the ECP they are going to lose a Toyota customer for life, and I have a FJ as well. I’ll be getting rid of this thing and going elsewhere. This will be over $4000 in parts ive had to put into it in the last 7 months of owning it. The amount of comments in this single thread alone and others online with the huge volume of people experiencing this is honestly so disappointing.

Bryan11 likes this.
  5. Nov 4, 2016 at 9:55 AM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    Still cannot see why this is not covered under the emissions warranty.

The sole purpose of this thing is to reduce emissions. It serves no other purpose. It would not be there except for emissions.

6. Nov 4, 2016 at 10:12 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Welcome to the site. I suggest you open a case with Toyota (800) 331-4331 and file a complaint with NHTSA.

I was following a thread about the dreaded oil consumption on Toyota's 2.4L found many of their cars. With enough complaints, Toyota finally did an extended warranty covering a ton of vehicles affected with this.

Large likes this.
  7. Nov 4, 2016 at 10:31 AM
    joshcannonball

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I just got off the phone with Toyota and Toyota Canada and they confirmed for me that this is not covered under the warranty, and NOT covered under the ECP extra care protection warranty that I spent $2,500 on in January of this year. I am absolutely floored right now and so furious. I do not have the money right now to put this new pump in. I have no idea what to do in the interm. I am just so livid right now. This is the last straw for me getting rid of this Tacoma.

8. Nov 4, 2016 at 10:35 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    These are for new OEM parts.

Air Pump part for a 4cyl is #17600-0C040 automatic list for $728.62 but can be had for a little over $500, air valve is part #25710-75015 list is $187.45 and can be had for around $140
    Air pump for a manual is #17600-0C020 list for $1,347.57 and sells for about $1k.

V6 = Air pump # 17600-0P040 list $767.53 and can be had for about $575, Valves #25710-31022 list $650.79 and can be had for around $485

tomwil likes this.
  9. Nov 4, 2016 at 11:44 AM
    joshcannonball

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I appreciate this but I'm in Canada so I'm not sure we fall under the NHTSA complaints. Already dealt with Toyota Canada and they were about as helpful as my local dealership was, which is not helpful at all. asked what the point was of me buying ECP if this wasn't covered and they said I "should have read the contract in ECP to see what is covered and what isn't" so basically got the middle finger from them. Thanks Toyota!

10. Nov 4, 2016 at 11:59 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    Shitty thing is Toyota has been covering Tundras because they made such a big deal about it. Hopefully they will do the same for Tacomas eventually, even though that helps you zero at this point. If they did eventually put out a TSB/recall I'd imagine reimbursement could be possible but who knows. Looks like they stuck the same POS pump in the 13-14 FJs, not sure about other model years. They've put it in 4Runners too.

My thinking is Toyota is holding out on this one as much as possible, because in a few more years all these pumps will have gone to shit and there will be people coming in left and right with higher mileage vehicles needing it replaced. They've go this stupid pumps across many Toyota vehicle models.

And apparently the 13+ Tacomas run it at startup and shutdown to avoid the moisture issue entirely but I'm thinking that is probably just a bandaid, and who knows at this point. Failures seem to be hit or miss. Not every 2012 Tacoma out there is having this issue, and anecdotal evidence for 13+ owners is a rarity at the moment. If it was a higher mileage replacement item like at 100k it wouldn't be such a big deal, but ~2k to have a dealer do "maintenance" every ~60k on a part failure that puts you in limp mode is retarded. And I get that its cheaper to replace it yourself and save some $$$, but still...that's a good bit of money for a replacement.

tomwil and DVexile like this.
  11. Nov 4, 2016 at 12:25 PM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    Toyota definitely being dicks on this right now. That Canadian ECP is something else - "covers 16 mechanical groups" - but doesn't appear to include anything in emissions if you look at the list of their "groups". Not surprisingly the majority of the groups are things that never fail...

For clarity though there are actually two separate problems:

1. Valve and/or pump failure caused by moisture. This effects 2012 Tacomas, apparently a lot. 13+ have the very same parts but run the pump a bit after shut down to purge any moisture. This appears to dramatically reduce the failure rate due to moisture in 13+, though of course it may just defer the failure to higher mileages.

2. Pump failure caused by ingestion of the upstream foam filter. This effects all models including 13+. It appears to be far less frequent than the moisture failure in 2012 models, but it definitely occurs. Owners can do some DIY mitigation ahead of time by replacing the precariously placed crappy foam filter with something more robust. But of course if you only find this thread because your truck threw a code it is a little too late for preventative measures.

While the foam ingestion pump failure is a stupid and dimwitted design it doesn't seem to occur at a high enough rate to expect a TSB or warranty extension. The 2012 moisture failure though really should be a TSB and warranty extension because it is so common and 13+ applied a mitigation already with different ECU firmware.

Norton and DriverSound like this.
  12. Nov 4, 2016 at 1:38 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    Yes I'm fully aware of the two methods of failure. I haven't gotten around to checking out my foam filter yet. So far I've seen a few go buy crankcase filters and remove the foam but seeing as one guy did that and then threw a code, I don't know if that's a sound "fix".

That's what sucks so far about this. Everything is case by case.

13. Nov 4, 2016 at 2:30 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I think in the case of the other guy, it was not a pump failure due to the filter. Most likely the valves getting stuck which I thought I read it got unstuck and so far so good for him.

14. Nov 4, 2016 at 7:53 PM
    Chephie

Chephie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB TRD OR
    OME884/5100's Wheelers Progressive AAL LR UCA's 265/75/16 Duratrac Method NV wheels Color matched grille surround ImMrYo rear view mirror relocation bracket Avid slider/steps
    I'm the "other guy" from a few posts back. You are correct in saying it was not a pump failure. I did remove the foam and add the uni-filter a few months back however I received the P2443 code which is the switching valve. I did think it was odd timing to say the least but I don't see how it could be related. Been 2 weeks since I cleared the code and it has not returned...actively knocking on wood.

DriverSound[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Dec 29, 2016 at 2:05 PM
    MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma
    This morning I left for work in my 2012 Tacoma Prerunner V6 with less than 41,000 miles to find my check engine and traction control off lights illuminated. I stopped by parts store and the code reader provided the infamous P2440 and P2442 codes for the secondary air injection system valves. Went to a local, honest mechanic, he verified the codes, and suggested that it may be covered by powertrain warranty and to check with the dealer.

So off to the dealer. Mind you, the whole time I am driving around, the truck is intermittently switching between operating normally and operating in limp mode...this alone is seemingly a very dangerous condition.

Dealer runs diagnostics and comes back with a $2300 estimate for replacing pump assembly, valve assembly, and associated gaskets. Paid for assessment and took truck home to think about it.

Tried to give local mechanic that I dealt with earlier opportunity to beat it. In the meantime, I called Customer Care and stated my case. After much time on hold while the rep spoke to the dealer and spoke to supervisors, they offered to cover half the bill. I informed local mechanic of the new information and said that I'd rather pay them but ultimately, he seemed to have trouble coming up with an estimate. So I said, "Well, I don't want you to shoot yourself in the foot and take a loss, just to do the work, so I'll take it the dealer since Toyota is willing to cover half." I had discussed maybe trying to be creative with used or refurbished parts just to get me cleared out so I can go trade it. We had a laugh.

The local dealer didn't have the parts in stock (probably because of the high demand). So I get to take it in on Monday.

Until now, the truck was flawless and the whole reason I bought it was for the brand reliability. I guess everything is crap now and we just have to take it.

16. Dec 29, 2016 at 2:37 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    At least Toyota did not flat out refuse you like they have done to some members here. I know they recognize that it is a problem. I encourage you to still file a complaint with the NHTSA to get your VIN in there. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
    Maybe Toyota will reimburse you at a later date when/if they do a warranty extension in the future.

NAAC3TACO likes this.
  17. Dec 30, 2016 at 5:55 AM
    joshcannonball

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Wanting to post an update since it’s been about 5 weeks. No local mechanic I found was going to be able to do this job for much cheaper than the dealer was quoting me. in a last ditch effort I called the dealership I bought the truck off in Jan and had to tow the truck 250kms there and they were willing to do the job at their ‘cost’ which was basically half of my original quote. So I get the truck there and the mechanic is inspecting it and notices the valve is stuck right open. Said the pump was fine its only the valve. I’ve done a lot of driving the last while and probably put another 2,000kms on it with a lot of cold mornings and the truck has been fine since. So make sure that you actually have to replace the entire assembly rather then just the pump or the valve. Whole job with labour and everything cost me $600 with tax … but I had to drive over 5 hours return to go pick my truck up (after towing it 250 kms) because my local loyal Toyota dealership here just threw a $2300 quote at me once they saw the code diagnostics and basically said “tough sh!t”! I guess that's what I get for buying my last truck off them and exclusively servicing both my Toyotas at their location. Wrote a scathing email to them as well as Toyota Canada and received stereotypical pretty much scripted BS answers from both of them.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  18. Dec 30, 2016 at 10:11 AM
    dsccwells

dsccwells New Member

Member:
    Hickory
    Vehicle:
    12 trd sport
    Just got back from the dealer picking up my 2012 4.0L with 89k Miles. Pump and valves cost me $1,400. I filed complaints with Toyota and NHTSA. Dealer said they were seeing the pump water ingress issue on a lot of 2012's lately.

I asked about the new pump and was told that the snorkel was redesigned to prevent the problem but it looks the same to me. Does anyone know if the pump they are installing, part #17610-0W020, is actually a redesign that will prevent the problem from recurring?

19. Jan 2, 2017 at 8:53 AM
    mrohaly

mrohaly New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Outer Banks, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Quad-Cab 4x4 TRD Sport
    2012 TRD Sport with 37,000 miles. Threw the P2442 code, and was able to clear it, and tear apart the valves. Number 2 gasket was totally melted and just fell out when I took it apart., and both were black with about 1/8" of soot. The check valves were warped open, and pretty much destroyed. I attached pics of the valves and solenoids.

Living in the OBX of NC, the closest dealer to me is about 100 miles, but they were really cool and the tech was aware of the problem. Sadly he had already tried to get this same issue fixed under warranty on his friends Taco, and was denied. He was able to test the system, and the pump checked ok, as did the valves, but he said it will come back. I was quoted $650 for the Valve assy. P/N/ 25710-31022, and $240 for labor. The tech recommended I just do the Hewett-Tech Bypass kit for half that.

The truck was fine for a week, and last night it popped the code again. I just ordered the Bypass kit from Hewett and should have it in a few days.

Thanks to everyone for the info on here; I'm sad to see so many of us have this known problem. I have already filed a complaint with the NTHSA (was the 92nd complaint, Number 10937233), and opened a case with Toyota Corp. (The Customer service person said I was her 2nd call in less than a week for this issue. Case #: 1612300783). I was told to ask about a "Goodwill Warranty" at the dealer. The most they could probably do is 50% off the bill, which is still more than the Bypass Kit, so I'm going that route for now.

Here's to hoping this gets addressed soon. Keep those complaints rolling in, it's the only way Toyota will be made to fix this.

Also, From talking to Hewett-Tech, the 13's and up are starting to see this problem too.....

https://hewitt-tech.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=44

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2012/TOYOTA/TACOMA/PU%252FCC/4WD

Toyota Corp. Customer Service: (800) 331-4331

Front Check Valve warped OPEN.jpg
    Front Solenoid 1.jpg
    Gasket from Solenoid 2.jpg
    Rear Check valve warped open.jpg
    Rear Solenoid 2.jpg

DriverSound and DVexile like this.
  20. Jan 2, 2017 at 10:42 AM
    TACOVRD