1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Secondary air injection system P2440 and P2442

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Saseun99, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Jun 2, 2016 at 3:53 PM
    Signcutter21

Signcutter21 Member

Member:
    Lake Chuck, LA
    Turned my 2012 Taco Trd on this morning & got the warning lights. Took it to my mechanic buddy who found the P2442 also. Dealership appointment on Saturday.

Anybody have any issues after replacing it? Either at dealership or on their own?

I'll be ticked if I have to drop $2k on a truck with 48,000 miles on it because of some cheap part.

2. Jun 7, 2016 at 9:49 AM
    rwho72

rwho72 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Looks like I'm a part of the club now too. My 2012 Taco TRD is doing the same thing. My local Toyota dealer quoted me $1300 to fix but said they could knock it down to a grand. Either way, this is bs. Looks like just about everyone here has a 2012, and like some have said, if enough of us complain they'll be more more likely to cover our repair costs than if we don't.

Not stoked, to say the least, but am grateful to all of you who have posted and tried to help out with this situation so far.

3. Jun 7, 2016 at 2:57 PM
    Soulreaver74

Soulreaver74 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Your right that if enough of us complain they will listen. I would like to help with that. I would be more than willing to contact a lawyer if we could all get together.

I have a ....you guessed it!....2012 Tacoma Trd that I just got from the shop today. I spent all day Friday talking to everyone from the dealership on up to the National Hotline. After I exhausted all sources I called back to the SM at the dealer and at this point I was angry. I called back to my local mechanic after not getting Toyota to do anything about it and told them to go ahead and work on it. The SM called me back a few hours later saying she called the GM at home (I had asked to talk to him but he wasn't there) and said that the GM was sorry that Toyota wasn't willing to help me but the GM offered to cover 1/2 the bill. By this time I had committed to having the local mechanic fix it. The cost was $750 with all but $65 being parts , according to my bill. I do have a 2nd air injection valve left being that they must be purchased in a set of two but im angry as hell that a KNOWN problem isn't covered. Someone said something about a TSB but Toyota has already put one of those out and to me that says they are aware its a common issue.

Now I realize my post seems more like a rant but I just got home from work and yes I'm angry. If I called a lawyer and asked if he would be interested in an issue that me and 99 other people are having what do you think he would say? We are seeing this happen consistently LETS STAND UP AND MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pm me if you are interested and I will make a call when I have a few people. I will most likely make that call anyways , I'm the type of guy that would spend the money just to prove my point and save the next guy some cash.

taco_09 and ruffridha9 like this.
  4. Jun 7, 2016 at 9:04 PM
    ruffridha9

ruffridha9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    West Coast
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma base
    stock ish

im in.

also check out this thread

Secondary air injection switching valve.......?

5. Jun 16, 2016 at 9:22 AM
    Golfer1949

Golfer1949 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Club Cab
    Just had my secondary air injection pump replaced at the dealer on my 2015 Tacoma TRD with 8300 miles.

6. Jun 23, 2016 at 3:07 PM
    RockManTacoma

RockManTacoma New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 White Tacoma SR5
    My 2012 broke down about 100 miles from home. I managed to get it to the closest town which was about 15 miles from when the codes showed up and the truck went into 40mph mod. A tow to the closest dealer gave me the news...valve and pump. I got further with my truck as it has 88,000 miles on it. The extended warranty people would not let the dealer change both and wouldn't you know that the valve cleared the issue....for about three weeks. This time I was closer to home. I got it towed to the dealer where I purchased the truck. The service advisor said it was a known problem on the Tundra but he hadn't had anyone report it on the Tacoma. After reading all that has been written here I wonder whether he was being nice or deceptive.

With the second issue the ext warranty people replaced the pump. So how long will it go this time? I can't afford to be on the road for the job and run scared that this will recur. I love my truck but now I'm looking to trade it.

7. Jun 27, 2016 at 11:27 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Had mine replaced at 7,800 miles. Dealer had to call Toyota to approve rental and dealer told me Toyota wanted the broken pump for inspection. Hmmmm... i think Toyota is aware of this issue.

8. Jun 28, 2016 at 2:28 PM
    J Shooter

J Shooter New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    Plastidip'd wheels and badges, Undercover Flex tonneau cover, WeatherTech front floor mats, Prinsu rack, BFG AT's, AVS vent visors, Cover King front seat covers, plethora of patches on headliner, Valentine One, SOE Gear MOLLE visor cover, 5% tint (legally), Hi Lift Xtreme, LED upgrades in map and overhead lights, K&N air filter.
    Hey guys. Just joined today. I've been browsing the forum for almost four years! My 2012 TRD (57k).....surprise, surprise, just threw the p2440 and p2442 codes, as well. My truck wouldn't accelerate over 2500 rpm's, very unsafe, but got it to a dealer. Received a quote of $1,900 for the repair as most of you received. I have one payment left on the lease and want to purchase it after so I did what I could to get a better deal. I asked the woman in service if there was any way they could help and asked about a "goodwill warranty" as one of you posted. She spoke with the SM and he advised that I call Toyota (800) 331-4331 and file a complaint. Twenty minutes later they agreed to pay 50% of the repair. Not what I wanted, but it helps. They obviously know this is a problem. I hope no one gets hurt from the faulty part.

DriverSound likes this.
  9. Jul 5, 2016 at 8:49 AM
    taco_09

taco_09 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2012 tacoma
    Just got off the phone with toyota canada and they wouldn't cover a thing, even though we have evidence that they cover some but not all. The call taker said there was nothing he could do for me and I'm stuck with the fee. I am willing to add to the lawsuit if thats still going.

10. Jul 6, 2016 at 2:30 PM
    BOK

BOK New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD
    Another unhappy 2012 Tacoma TRD owner here.... I work from home so my truck has only 28,000 kms on it and I am having this issue as well. After making my displeasure known at the dealers and talking to Toyota Canada, they have agreed to cover half the costs. The truck is getting repaired now, I'll find out later today what it's actually gonna cost me, probably around $600 out of my pocket. Bloody ridiculous for a vehicle that is basically just broken in, lives inside a garage and has been faithfully serviced every six months despite my low use. Let's make some noise and get this baby to a recall - maybe we can recoup our losses. Oh, and when I asked what the chances were of this part failing again in a few years, they basically just shrugged... I bought my Toyota in large part because of the rep for dependability, now I'm considering selling it.

DriverSound likes this.
  11. Jul 6, 2016 at 4:38 PM
    sgtnewundies

sgtnewundies Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Florida, Citrus County
    Vehicle:
    14 trd sport red
    Working on it now....UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    You have to be aggressive and go after them on this issue! It sounds like Toyota has a problem with the part and they need to fix it. Nothing like having numerous failures and leaving the customer to pay for the poor engineered part. Again, the only way to remedy for everyone is be like a tiger and go after them super aggressive!

BOK likes this.
  12. Jul 7, 2016 at 1:56 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
  13. Jul 7, 2016 at 7:02 PM
    MGMTaco12

MGMTaco12 Active Member

Member:
    Bedford, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 MGM DCSB TRD OR 4X4 V6
    Complaint filed. 2012 Tacoma 74,000 miles. Extended warranty covered the pump, valves, and labor but everyone needs to file a complaint at the link above. Between this thread and the other thread mentioned a few posts back, this is a very common failure that Toyota should recognize.

14. Jul 8, 2016 at 10:42 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I'm still under the 3yr/36K and looks to be cheaper to just buy the extended warranty for 7yr/100K for under $1K than paying for the pump and valves.

15. Jul 8, 2016 at 1:50 PM
    MGMTaco12

MGMTaco12 Active Member

Member:
    Bedford, VA
    Vehicle:
    I'm a firm believer in extended warranties after this fiasco. Not only did they cover the entire repair bill but they reimbursed my rental vehicle fees as well. I had bought the 8 year /125,000 mile extended warranty right before my 3/36 expired. At the time I bought the warranty, there were a couple dealerships in the country who were basically selling the extended warranties at about half what most dealers would charge (I found these through tacomaworld forums). I purchased from a dealership in Louisiana (I'm in Virginia). I understand that Toyota has now banned the purchase of warranties across state lines so this may no longer be available but you could still shop around from dealers in your state.

16. Jul 9, 2016 at 8:04 AM
    MikeCB600F

MikeCB600F 4 Cylenders of angry fury

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Plainfield, IL.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Reg Cab 2.7L 4x4
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau cover
    Is this just a 6 cylinder problem or are the 4 cylinders also involved?

17. Jul 14, 2016 at 1:53 PM
    freeskier989

freeskier989 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Newport Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Access Cab Off Road 4x4 V6
    ABS Switch Icon Stage 3
    Add me to the list, 2012, 37,000 miles and mine threw the code today. Said i had to replace the air intake valve, the come in sets of two so they are replacing both. Just under $1000 for the service.

18. Jul 14, 2016 at 3:52 PM
    MGMTaco12

MGMTaco12 Active Member

Member:
    Bedford, VA
    Vehicle:
    Don't forget to file a complaint with NHTSA. That way Toyota may eventually recognize this as an issue. Mine was not only the valves but the pump too.

19. Jul 29, 2016 at 8:12 PM
    Mr.Gadget

Mr.Gadget Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4x4 SR5 SB/2012 DC 4x4 SR5 LB(sold)
    What dealer did you use?
    Im in raleigh and mine crapped out today.
    Need to see if I can get it covered.

20. Jul 29, 2016 at 9:03 PM
    Ihatetacomas

Ihatetacomas Because tacomas hate me

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Used @ 23,283 Volant Intake (w/ scoop)(removed August 2016), BAKFlip G2 Tonneau Cover, (drain tube mod), Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock, Stampede Vigilante Premium VP Series Hood Protector, 5lb Extinguisher, Shovel & Axe mounted in bed, Shok Industries Sound Deadener, Mercury: (K62, MGR-1200, MGR-495) Triton 8" Subs, Custom-Made: Sub Box, Speaker Templates, Vapor Barrier, All-Pro Bumper w/Kickouts, hidden trailer hitch, wooden cup-holder Misc: Knukonceptz RCA, speaker, and power wires, Big 3 Upgrade, a very full Husky technician tool box
    Should I be worried about this? 2012, 1 previous owner, 40k and no codes however there's a high pitched sound coming from the pump at startup, which from what I've read means a failure soon. What if I just clean the filter? Maybe it was changed out while at the dealership before I bought it?

To Top