1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Secondary Air Injection Valve Issue

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by EastTNTacoma2012, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Feb 8, 2016 at 3:01 AM
    EastTNTacoma2012

EastTNTacoma2012 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Over the past few months I've had my check engine light come on every month because of the secondary air injection valve for the emission control system. I took it in the last time and they checked the valve and it worked fine. It goes away after a couple days because the issue seems to be momentary. I wonder if it just sticks momentarily. Has anyone else had this issue and did it go away or did you have to replace this valve? My truck runs fine even with the check engine light on. I have an extended warranty through Toyota so I can get it replaced if I need to.

2. Feb 8, 2016 at 3:11 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    The light comes on when the valve fails to function on cold starts. Warms starts there is no test of the system so the light does not come on. More than likely your valves are functioning intermittently. If the engine is below 40* the system is checked. above that no check of the system.

My Tundra uses the same system. I bypassed my air injection system electronically. I installed a resistor that makes the ECU think the truck is always doing a warm start. My air pumps and valves are never used, in fact I have no idea if they would still function.

I don't know if the 2nd gen Tacoma's go into limp mode when these pumps or valves fail, but it does send the Tundra into limp mode. I was not going risk being in the middle of BFE and have a truck that wont go above 45 mph.

3. Feb 8, 2016 at 3:28 AM
    EastTNTacoma2012

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Well the funny thing is, every time I've had the light come on has been in the afternoon when the temperature is above 40. I told the dealer that and they didn't know why it would even come on then.

4. Feb 8, 2016 at 6:23 AM
    Taco Hunter

Taco Hunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Triad, NC
    Vehicle:
    09' Tacoma 2.7l AccessCab 4x4
    Old Steelies to Trd 16'' Matte Black with Cooper ATX3 tires Mech to Electric (Very large but super silent) Single Fan Throttle body coolant bypass + Port and Polish LED Fog lights with custom fabricated mounting 2012 headlight assembly K&N Drop In Intake StopTech Drilled Rotors with EBC Greenstuff Pads StopTech Front + Rear Stainless Steel Brake lines Old Fabric to leather swap on doors 20% Window Tint LCE Long tube headers with Milltek resonator and Magnaflow 12586 muffler WeatherTek In-Channel Deflectors Fox Racing 2.0 Coilovers with Fox 2.0 IFP in the rear Total Chaos UCA's Whiteline Lateral Locks Hellwig Rear Sway Bar Energy Suspension Poly Bushings: Sway Bar, Cab, Rear Leaf Spring
    If you're still under warranty I would go ahead and start having them replace parts until the issue is fixed. Better now for free than later for serious coin.

billybob50 likes this.
  5. Feb 8, 2016 at 6:53 AM
    EastTNTacoma2012

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    That's probably what I'm going to do. It's frustrating because it's failing intermittently and during times when it shouldn't even be used. Why they use this setup and don't just run a lean air to fuel mixture to heat up the engine and exhaust when cold instead. These valves are a decades old design, before electronic fuel injection. There has to be a more modern way of doing the same thing without adding more parts that can fail.

6. Feb 8, 2016 at 10:40 AM
    billybob50

billybob50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    05 Basic Gold Tacoma Automatic
    Dog friendly, with dog snot on inside windows, with of course a/c! Mag 16 inch wheels from a Mazda.
    If you were to go in and the warranty had expired. Having them repair their OEM special parts with labor runs about $2,000. It's a high profit item and they don't want to change, it's basicly GREED! Sugest you to get them to fix it, and 2 to 3 months before your warranty expires purchase a by pass kit so it won't fail farther down the road. https://www.hewitt-tech.com/store/

Products Discussed in

To Top