1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

secret compartment in vehicles

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by coffeesnob, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Jan 31, 2014 at 8:27 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    Just want an opinion from law officers on the hidden compartment law now in Ohio and maybe soon to be in Va. As a person who doesn't carry a firearm, use or sell drugs, drink and drive I kind of feel this is reaching into my freedoms but I can also see where if you are an officer then you want to be aware of what the car may contain.

2. Feb 1, 2014 at 2:46 AM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    whats the law, never heard of it. I have seen some clever compartments tho.

3. Feb 1, 2014 at 2:48 AM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD sport DC
    Tailgate Anti-Theft Weathertechs Wet Okoles TW Sticker! Pop N Lock Handle TonnoPro Tri-folding cover
  4. Jun 3, 2014 at 6:47 PM
    jboudreaux1965

jboudreaux1965 ragin cajun

Member:
    First Name:
    joseph
    abbeville
    Vehicle:
    2006 Pre-Runner TRD Sport
    3" coil-overs, AAL
    i have a friend who owned a really high end custom car shop, he did every sort of mod and install, competition audio trucks, custom made lift kits, hydraulics, you name it!

alot of the show cars had mini hydraulics triggered with magnets that would lift the amp boards or fold out to show the woofers, etc...

he did a car for a customer and the guy stashed some cocaine in one of speakers in one of the compartments and tried to cross the boarder, he got busted. as for my friend... well he has been in federal penitentiary for a couple years now.

lost his business, his freedom, his wife, watching his little girl grow up, everything! no one ever looked at the fact that he did hundreds of other custom show cars and everything was legit, it wasn't his fault the guy try to smuggle drugs. heh if he was such 'kingpin' how come he couldn't afford a lawyer without friends helping out?

and yes i know for sure he was not into drugs or anything illegal!

it's a very stupid law about custom compartments, but it is true, and good people do get shafted over it.

5. Jun 3, 2014 at 7:12 PM
    ziggynagy

ziggynagy All Glory To The Hypnotoad

Member:
    Stoughton, MA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Sport AC 4x4 V6 Auto Tow
    Westin step bars, led dome & map lights, tailgate hoseclamp, BluLogic, MetalMiller emblem, 35 tinted front windows, extra OEM d-rings, WeatherTech front/rear
    Ohio Law was easy to find: http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=129_SB_305
    I'm not in law enforcement so just my $.02, but Section H & I seem to spell out clearly that so long as drug residue isn't found (ie guy who got pulled over and car smelled of pot).

H.
    (1) This section does not apply to any licensed motor vehicle dealer or motor vehicle manufacturer that in the ordinary course of business repairs, purchases, receives in trade, leases, or sells a motor vehicle.
    (2) This section does not impose a duty on a licensed motor vehicle dealer to know, discover, report, repair, or disclose the existence of a hidden compartment to any person.

I.
    This section does not apply to a box, safe, container, or other item added to a vehicle for the purpose of securing valuables, electronics, or firearms provided that at the time of discovery the box, safe, container, or other item added to the vehicle does not contain a controlled substance or visible residue of a controlled substance.

6. Jun 3, 2014 at 7:46 PM
    NYNURSE

NYNURSE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Rye, NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    Tonneau cover Window tint
    As a retired LEO; Pal, your freedoms have been getting less and less for years. Back when I was a kid, you were innocent until proven guilty. Now it's guilt by association unless you have huge bucks for an attorney. As for whats in my truck, get a warrant, get probable cause or get lost. If you think you are getting permission, that isn't gonna happen.

To Top