1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Secure Factory Tonneau Cover

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by mmwada, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Jun 22, 2017 at 10:32 AM
    mmwada

mmwada [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I did a "quick" search to see if someone had a simple way to secure the latch/cover for the factory tonneau cover but didn't find any. To me, it appears that it could be fairly easy to devise a hook to get under the cover and pull on the latch handle to open the cover especially if you didn't double click the top. No, I didn't try it being I didn't want to put a scratch in the latch area just to prove a point.

It appears that there could be a lot of ways to secure the top from opening and/or even putting a padlock with a latch/chain on the inside of the cover. Has anyone come up with some "clean" clever ideas? I won't be locking/securing the cover at all times but maybe when there is something valuable in the bed or when the Tacoma will be parked isolated for long periods of time.

For now, I just used a rubber hose to prevent the latch from being pulled out. Yes, it could easily be knocked off with the hook intentionally or even unintentionally.

hose latch.jpg cover hose.jpg

SilverII likes this.
  2. Jun 22, 2017 at 10:37 AM
    IvanM8

IvanM8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM sport 4x4,
    full tank of gas
    I just lock the tailgate no way to force your hand through the rubber seal. Very clever idea, will add for extra security.

3. Jun 22, 2017 at 10:57 AM
    blackrifle76

blackrifle76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nick
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    white 2017 trd sport 4x4 dclb, white 2016 mustang ecoBOSS
    I see your point and never really thought of someone doing that. I always felt pretty safe with my tailgate locked. I really think that a thief is going to go for the easiest target and unless they know of something they want in your truck will probably move on to an easier target. I will be watching to see if someone comes up with something cause why not!

4. Jun 22, 2017 at 11:07 AM
    PHLinPHX

PHLinPHX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Bucks County, PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    Thief would have to have pretty extensive knowledge of the factory tonneau cover to even know the handle was there... I think locking the tailgate is sufficient. Unless there's specialized 3rd Gen Tacoma targeting thieves? :notsure:

5. Jun 22, 2017 at 11:31 AM
    Chief Taco

Chief Taco Tacomasaurus Rex

Member:
    First Name:
    Nicholas
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    Mobtown Offroad IFS Aluminum Skidplate Low-Range Rear Diff Mod Softopper Reaper pattern custom car grills President Johhny III CB
    locks really just keep honest people honest. For Example; If someone really wanted in your truck and the doors were locked they would break a window.

Products Discussed in

To Top