1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Securing Long guns in a truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by matt86, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Nov 2, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    matt86

matt86 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Know anyone that sells them? I was also thinking about a high quality steel tool box for the bed.

2. Nov 2, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Sounds to me like he's talking about leaving them in his truck and going somewhere else. If he was transporting I'm sure he'd be capable of keeping someone from knocking the window out of his truck and taking it.

As far as I know, it is not illegal to place a firearm in a vehicle and leave it as long as you are following your states restrictions for concealed firearms and transporting.

As I said, its IMO. Maybe I just have a higher sense of responsibility than others do. Vehicles get broken into all the time. I figure its irresponsible for me to leave an unsecured firearm in a vehicle. The gun goes where I go and I am in control of it. My feelings about this are mainly with leaving a gun in a vehicle overnight. I'll disarm and place my firearm in the console if I am going somewhere I cannot carry (ex; Post Office) and rearm when I come back, but when I'm done in the truck for the day, the gun goes with.

On the cop car comment, I believe most are secured in place with a lock.

3. Nov 2, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    slick_711

slick_711 Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Off Road
    Avid light bar w/2x Hella 4000C, Bilstein 5100s, Demello sliders
    I had debated something similar, with my former employer I almost always had a rifle in the truck. Not so much now. Rather than the roof I had been thinking about the driver's side rear AC door. That little storage cubby in the door should be big enough for an AR stock, and you could bolt the locking system into the door. With good window tint (or perhaps just blacking out the window on that door all together) it wouldn't be easily visible from the outside. Just another option for you, I'm not sure what would work out better.

A lock indeed, and with most systems that lock cannot be opened unless the ignition is on.

4. Nov 2, 2010 at 1:10 PM
    viperstd

viperstd Tacoma convert

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD SR5 DC LB
    AllPro Front and Rear trail armor & full skid plates, Demello Hybrid Rock Crushers, Old Man Emu suspension, Warn 8000# winch, PIAA SMR fogs, perforated + heated leather seats, in-dash DVD/NAV/Sound, RE subs
    I have a DC. I usually transport them in cases on the floor by the rear seat footwells. All of my long gun cases fit width wise there and I can toss a blanket over the cases to make it 'less obvious.'

FWIIW, I live in MD... one of the Draconian states that attempts to make it illegal to transport your firearms. Being in this state means that I can only transport a handgun:
    1. To or from a place of legal purchase or sale or repair shop.
    2. Between such person's bona fide residences or between his residence and place of business if the business is operated and substantially owned by that person.
    3. While engaged in or traveling to and from a "target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, trapping or dog obedience training class or show."
    4. By a bona fide gun collector who is "moving any part or all of his gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition," and while such handguns are actually on exhibition.

I keep handguns in a locked case in the car. I have a tool box in the bed of the truck that I lock my ammo can in when I am transporting for one for the 4 reasons above.

Federal Interstate Transportation Laws

BATF Compilation of Gun Laws

5. Nov 2, 2010 at 1:21 PM
    viperstd

viperstd Tacoma convert

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD SR5 DC LB
    AllPro Front and Rear trail armor & full skid plates, Demello Hybrid Rock Crushers, Old Man Emu suspension, Warn 8000# winch, PIAA SMR fogs, perforated + heated leather seats, in-dash DVD/NAV/Sound, RE subs
    Breaking into a car and stealing something is the irresponsible and illegal act...

I would remind everyone that about a thousand people a year are 'murdered' by hit-and-runs in the USA... therefore, leaving a car unattended overnight is irresponsible too.

On average from 1976-present, more people are murdered with knives than shoguns, machineguns, long guns, muskets, and SBRs combined.

For the record, I never leave a gun in my truck overnight either. I don't want it stolen :(.

6. Nov 2, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    dalsmthme

dalsmthme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    Just do a search for truck tool box on Google. I don't have a brand to recommend but a bunch pop up...

7. Nov 2, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    03coma

03coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD, SR5
    TRD Pro Grille, Skid Plate, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust System, 2017 Tacoma TRD Rims, ARE Series II Lid,
    idk, I never leave my handgun in the truck unattended. The gun has the trigger lock in it and not loaded, it’s stored in the bed, (locking cover) and ammo is in an ammo box inside the cab. If we stop one of us usually stays with the truck while the others get the drinks and food

8. Nov 2, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    A great product is one of the center-of-mass metal clam shell containers with a combo or key lock. They secure to the frame of the seat via a cable. It basically stops smash-and-grab thieves and I like them alot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Long guns are much harder to secure and I am working a solution for that. There is a thread around here from a guy in Florida who modified his access cab and installed some very nice mounts for his AR. If I can find the thread I'll update this post.

As for the rest of you. Please realize that laws very widely between states and what may seem shocking to you is perfectly normal in another state.

9. Nov 2, 2010 at 3:57 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The OP mentioned handguns also.

10. Nov 2, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    slick_711

Member:
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Off Road
    Looks like a T3 Tactical w/ NF? What caliber, .308? Nice setup!

I don't know about a cable lock to a D-ring though. I hope you're not using the little cable locks that come with guns, those things are worthless, a few good kicks from a boot and they snap. If you're using a heavy duty cable lock that will work but I wouldn't leave it unattended long. :eek:

11. Nov 2, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Exactly. you don't want it stolen from you and you probably don't want the type of person that would break into your truck to have access to a firearm.

So then I just don't get...

...what the above has anything to do with anything?

For the OP, I think one of the Pelican style cases that can be locked and then secured to the interior of the truck would be a good option if you absolutely had to leave a long gun in your truck overnight. For a handgun, you could put it in the same case as the long gun, or install a separate lockbox for it. I think the important thing is that whatever you put it in be secured to the truck. A loose lockbox is just as easy to take as a gun in the open if someone actually gets into your truck. Given enough time anything can be taken but no sense making it easier just because of that.

I guess you should consider how often you're going to be doing this and weigh that against the cost of some of the more expensive options, like the tool boxes.

Yeah they're happy when they get lucky. Would you be ok with them getting lucky with your shit? Cash, GPS, jewelry - you want to leave that in your truck, whatever, no harm really if its taken. I'll admit my GPS is up for the grabs right now. But if my truck was broken into and I found out later a firearm that I failed to secure was stolen and used for some ill purpose, I don't know if I could deal with that.

Maybe my definition of 'secured properly' differs from others, but automotive glass doesn't meet my standards.

OP, good luck, and kudos for actually looking into this. Apologies if my first post was unclear.

12. Nov 2, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    slick_711

Member:
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Off Road
    Ah, I guess that's the same stock they use on the T3 Tactical, the adjustable cheek piece was what jumped out at me. I agree about people stealing things, sh** happens, can't just go around worrying about it all the time.

13. Nov 2, 2010 at 8:15 PM
    jdtemple

jdtemple Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCAB LB TRD Sport
    Lift & Tires, in cab power outlets, Locking Bed Boxes, K&N
    So it would be ok if that same person stole your truck, and ran over 5 people killing them all? You could you deal with that?

What if that same person stole guns from your house and used them on the street, could you deal with that?

What makes it different? Gas pedal instead of ammunition? People still die by something you own.

And before the "I have my shit secured" comment comes out. Windows, Doors, Dogs, Alarms, and safes only slow people down. If they want your stuff, they will get it.

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to understand your logic.

14. Nov 2, 2010 at 8:17 PM
    Eman5pt0

Eman5pt0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    NY
    when i got stuck in SC the good ol boi from the gas station that gave me a ride to the rental car place had his rifle tucked nicely between his seat and center console lol

15. Nov 3, 2010 at 3:48 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    You are not an idiot. You understand my logic just fine and are just trying to make a counterpoint.

Yes, I could deal with that as long as my truck is parked and locked. I've done my part. I'm not asking anyone to park their truck in a C-container and lock it up. If I left the damn thing running in the parking lot and some kid rolled off with it and killed someone, I'd damn sure feel responsible. You do see where this is going.

Yes, I could live with a clear conscience. My guns are in my house, locked in a safe. My exception is my carry gun - its either on me, accessible while at home, or locked away if I'm not around it. I've done my part.

Nothing different really; leaving a running vehicle unattended and having it kill someone is just as bad as leaving your firearm unsecured and having it kill someone. Both are irresponsible. Yes, I've left my truck idling in the lot while I go get something. I didn't say I was a perfect soul.

Well then just leave your shit laying about in the yard then since it doesn't do any good. Criminal makes off with your gun - fine. Did you do everything you could have to keep that from happening?

While we're making points out of extremes, if I left my copy of Metallica ReLoad on the sidewalk and someone got creative and used it to slice someone's throat, I wouldn't really feel guilty for having left a CD laying around. Its not generally considered an item that would require some kind of thought about how you leave it laying about.

If you can't accept that a firearm is not like a vehicle, a GPS, a CD, etc, in that it requires some additional responsibility, you're not going to get this.

16. Nov 3, 2010 at 5:19 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    :facepalm:

I saw long guns in the title and in the post...........skipped right over the handgun part. Feel free to :smack: me................:eek:

17. Nov 3, 2010 at 5:32 AM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:
    Wow... I was really hoping for something more from this thread than the "responsible vs irresponsible" argument. IF you never leave your gun out of your sight - good for you, here's a cookie. I tend to leave lots of my gun out of my sight. When I'm at work I leave my pistol in the console and a rifle under my back seat. Am I a bad person? I really could care less about your opinion. I know I always have my rifle with me if I want to go to the range at lunch for some quick trigger time.

18. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:24 AM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    I was going to use a behind the seat mount , but I felt it flagged the truck as possibly having a rifle. I just use a gun case as usual , often add a strap or bunjee to keep it from moving much.
    My view on leaving it in the truck is ..."you face the consequnces of your actions" , meaning if you go out on the town and get broke into , DONT post n cry here at TW! Yea i often leave one in my truck when I go back home to my parents .....population 900. I know I could be broken into there too , weigh the risks. Further theft mitigation....dont leave stray shells used or not visible or other firearms related items , i omit NRA and other stickers , i dont like stickers on my truck anyway. Truly , dont leave anything in the truck valuable when uneccessary , or clues you might have valuables behind. I see cars broken into still at hiking trails because of an old 35mm film cannister , or a strap to something.

19. Nov 3, 2010 at 7:55 AM
    evile

evile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 DoubleCab TRD OffRoad PreRunner
    Bug shield vent visors Westin Chrome bull bar K&N Airfilter Pioneer CD/MP3/Ipod/DVD head unit KC Daylighters, LED map and dome lights, secondary airfilter removed. Black tube steps, 110v outlet in cab
    I was thinking of removing the storage behind the back seat of a DC and making a steel enclosed case that locks to keep valuables or guns inside it. That storage area back there is kinda useless to me the way it separated and I would love to be able to store my AR back there when I go places, because you never know when zombies are going to attack

20. Nov 3, 2010 at 1:09 PM
    BadBrains

BadBrains Spreading the Aloha

Member:
    AL
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma TRD OR, '00 Integra GS-R, '75 C10
    King, TC +2"LT, 35's, Aluminum this and that.

Products Discussed in

To Top