1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Securing stuff in the bed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by druber, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Feb 17, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    druber

druber [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Austin,TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 4x2 PreRunner SR5
    I did search, but was unable to find any good info.

I need to be able to secure by very expensive bicycle from theft while in the bed.

Obviously, the best answer is to never leave it in the bed unattended. Ideal, but it's going to happen occasionally.

At this point, I do not want a tonneau cover or camper shell.

I currently have a Kryptonite New York chain like this: https://www.kryptonitelock.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1002&pid=1194

I was thinking about drilling a hole in the bed and looping this (or a similar chain) around the frame. Bad idea? Any other suggestions?

I know there is no solution that is foolproof, however, I'd like something that would at least slow them down considerably. I know that professional theifs can get through a cable lock in about 30 seconds. I imagine the D-rings would be even less time.

Thanks.

2. Feb 17, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    06Bluez

06Bluez Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4
    Icon Coil-overs, TC UCA, with Bilstein 5150 and Icon 3 leaf pack. 17" Moto Metal 951 4.5" Backspacing wrapped in 285/70/17 BFG AT's. Demello front bumper and Avid offroad sliders.
    If it is expensive then I wouldn't leave it unattended at all unless in a cammper or under a locking tonneau.

You are right, a thief will cut through any kind of lock in less then 30 seconds. I had my catalytic converter sawed off in the middle of the afternoon in a busy Walmart parking lot and I'd imagine that being more difficult then a chain around your bike.

3. Feb 17, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    SR54x4

SR54x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 TRD SR5 Tundra
    Magnaflow 12588, TSC lo-pro extra deep toolbox, step bars and bull bar
    I lock mine to the d ring in the bottom of the bed. The way I see it, if the thief has the tools to cut or unbolt the d ring, they are going to get the bike no matter how its locked up.

4. Feb 17, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    I've been using a Trimax cable lock. I have it looped around a D-ring and the other loop is around my Cargo Divider. Whenever I have something to lock down such as a chain saw or ice chest, I just loop the cable through whatever it is and lock it down. Words aren't doing good justice, but it's pretty efficient. It's no more secure than any cable lock, so if you're looking for something that can withstand a small bolt cutter, this solution may not work for you.

5. Feb 17, 2011 at 4:50 PM
    chaotichoax

chaotichoax Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Howell, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/SB TRD Sport
    take the front wheel off and put the bike in the back seat floor area

6. Feb 18, 2011 at 5:50 AM
    druber

druber [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Austin,TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 4x2 PreRunner SR5
    I'm definitely looking for something that will withstand a bolt cutter. If somebody wants to take my bike, I want them to have to come prepared and for it to take more than a minute.

I don't think there is anything out there that will withstand a blowtorch or a good quality angle grinder.

Yes, I will take it out of the bed when I am away from my truck for long periods. However, I'll likely continue to stop for some greasy enchiladas on the way home from the trails and restaurants usually frown at having to seat a bike.

So...assuming nobody comes up with a better solution than locking it to the frame. Will cutting a 1"x2" (or so) hole near the center of the bed of my truck seriously harm the structural integrity?

Thanks.

7. Feb 18, 2011 at 7:56 AM
    Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ West Valley
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Taco
    OME Lift, Stubbs Sliders, Truxedo cover, Pioneer Avic deck, speakers/amp etc., Black badges.
    I have a locking bike rack that mounts in the receiver hitch. They could always setal the whole rack but it would be big and unwieldy. No small area to cut on it with bolt cutters either.

To Top