1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sedona to Flagstaff to The Grand Canyon // A Winter Wonderland Trip

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by campvibes, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Jan 1, 2019 at 1:10 PM
    campvibes

campvibes [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    It all started when @barretta moved to Arizona.

Our group of friends have been camping and adventuring for a couple years now. Slowly each of us have been getting Tacoma's and are slowly ramping up on our trips. We all have been into the "overlanding" scene and have always enjoyed just getting out with each other and the girlfriends/wives. Now that @barretta lives in Arizona it gave us a new reason to get out of Southern California and do a big trip in another state.

My wife and I left early Thursday at about 4 in the morning to reach Sedona with enough daylight to explore and enjoy the views. We had a total of three trucks (two tacomas and a raptor). Each rig is still in the early stages of being built so this was a good long trip to do a shakedown and test out the capabilities of our rigs as well as fine tune our setups.

After about a 7 hour drive we finally reach our meeting point on the trailhead of FR 525 near Sedona.

We drove up a mild fire road to a cool lookout point with Sedona as our backdrop.

IMG_0198.jpg

Here is my truck. It is a 2016 TRD Offroad 4x4. The only mods I have done are the KO2's and the Tepui RTT. I have a GFC on order right now that will take its place later in 2019. I had a Tacoma previously that was built up but it didn't fit my needs. This truck will do much better and I can't wait to build it up.

IMG_2659.jpg

Being my first time in this area, the red rock and formations were breathtaking. We knew the weather would be cold, but we didn't expect the snow to hit us as hard as it did. Throughout the day it slowly picked up until we got absolutely dumped on.

snow 1.jpg

Here you can see the weather rolling in...

snow 2.jpg

As the darkness got closer we bundled up as best we could and started to grill up our dinner on the skottle. Something about warm food in freezing cold is great.

The next morning we woke up and had our sights set on the flagstaff area.

snow morning.jpg

We knew about a spot that had a great view overlooking flagstaff and sedona that @barretta says is his favorite spot (I don't blame him). What we didn't expect was how much snow we would encounter on the way up. Luckily it wasn't so bad we got stuck and it was actually quite fun doing some snow wheeling.

Here are some photos of our 3 hour journey up to the spot.

taco 1.jpg
    taco 2.jpg
    taco 3.jpg
    taco 4.jpg

taco 5.jpg

taco 6.jpg

After what felt like forever driving we finally made it. We were a little worried the weather was going to effect our destination but about 30 minutes after arriving the weather cleared and it was a beautiful view and evening.

pano good.jpg

This was one of the coolest spots I have been. It provided such a nice view of the surrounding area and you really had to just stand there and take it all in. At one point @barretta and I just stood out of the edge and he talked about how much he loves this place. It really is nice just getting away from the high speed work week and being able to relax and decompress with your friends.

cool taco.jpg

boys.jpg

The boys and I. And yes.. I was wearing trash bags on my feet. My boots are not water proof and unfortunately got wet. It was a nice little DIY fix though.

In the morning the raptor had to leave and head back for some obligations so the two tacomas pointed north towards the Grand Canyon. I have never been to the grand canyon so my wife and I were stoked to finally get to see it.

IMG_2841.jpg

The Grand Canyon was really cool. It really is crazy seeing how vast it really is in person. The only negative was there was way too many people there for my liking. I usually try to avoid big crowds but it was still worth seeing. We ended camping somewhere off the Arizona Trail. It was a cool little frozen lake that ended working well for us after our initial spot fell through.

IMG_2846.jpg

The next morning and final day of the trip we stopped by the Grandview Tower lookout we had seen the day before driving in. We climbed to the top and were able to see the canyon and had miles and miles of unobstructed views. There was also a guy playing the saxophone up at the top which was really cool.

lookout.jpg

lookout1.jpg
    To round the trip we headed out of the grand canyon and stopped a brewery to talk about our future trips and just spend some more time with each other. This is a trip I will always cherish. Me, my wife, and my closest friends got to spend a couples days together driving around in tacomas and camping and drinking beer. What can be better than this. Throught the year our trucks will get more built, our experiences will get even better and our friendships will get closer. Can't wait for the next adventure.

After each trip I like to look back at every aspect of the truck and its performance as well as the efficiency of my camp. I definitely need suspension. I have been saving for the Fox 2.5 RR with adjusters both front and rear. It will just give me piece of mind when traveling long distances offroad and just overall comfort. Also, being on the move everyday really gets me hyped for my GFC. The ease of setting up and tearing down camp will be so much better and enjoyable. Also minimizing my camp supplies. This trip I was bare-bones but a few upgrades and downsizing will definitely help on future trips. If I can take away one thing from this adventure is that time with friends and family doing the thing you love will be something I will never forget. I will constantly strive to do this for as long as I can. Thanks for reading.

(Also thanks to @barretta for taking a lot of the pictures.)

2. Jan 1, 2019 at 1:14 PM
    Dkurtz42

Dkurtz42 Bill Hwang

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Barberton, OH
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    - Gator ETX Soft Roll Up Tonneau - Clazzio black leather seats - Nitto Ridge Grappler 255 80 17 tires - Supreme Suspensions 2" and 1" lift
    I got the mail in sandals yesterday. 41 degrees. Intense.

campvibes[OP] likes this.
  3. Jan 1, 2019 at 1:16 PM
    campvibes

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    10 degrees at night for us was brutal. Our sleeping bags did well but definitively no sandals to be found.

SilverBulletII likes this.
  4. Jan 1, 2019 at 1:16 PM
    Dkurtz42

Dkurtz42 Bill Hwang

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Barberton, OH
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    - Gator ETX Soft Roll Up Tonneau - Clazzio black leather seats - Nitto Ridge Grappler 255 80 17 tires - Supreme Suspensions 2" and 1" lift
    Looks amazing. Jealous.

5. Jan 1, 2019 at 1:19 PM
    campvibes

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    I highly recommend if you are ever in the area. Saw some cool wildlife too. Wild horses and elk

6. Jan 1, 2019 at 1:33 PM
    LONGWHITELINE

LONGWHITELINE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD Off Road DCLB
    Stock
    Nice Pictures! It looks like you all had a great time.

campvibes[OP] likes this.
  7. Jan 1, 2019 at 1:34 PM
    campvibes

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    I wish I took more but at you least you can get the idea of the spots we were in. It was a great time!

LONGWHITELINE likes this.
  8. Jan 1, 2019 at 4:33 PM
    barretta

barretta -

Member:
    San Clemente, CA
    Vehicle:
    '18 White TRD OR 4x4
    Well done @campvibes. I wouldn’t have been as thorough if I did a report. It was a blast and I can’t wait to go bigger and better with the trips. Definitely one to remember! One of my favorite parts was that one trail we went on that hadn’t been traveled on since the recent snow. Felt like we were going somewhere no one else had been.

Here’s some more eye candy :cheers:

upload_2019-1-1_17-25-17.jpg
    upload_2019-1-1_17-25-36.jpg
    upload_2019-1-1_17-27-19.jpg
    upload_2019-1-1_17-28-41.jpg
    upload_2019-1-1_17-29-50.jpg

Attached Files:

9. Jan 7, 2019 at 2:26 PM
    2Toyotas

2Toyotas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco SR5 AC
    Nice post. I love that area.
    Next time put your feet in the bags, then socks, then boots. VBL, Vapor Barrier Liners. Equals warm feet.

campvibes[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  10. Jan 7, 2019 at 5:15 PM
    BKinzey

BKinzey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beauford
    Hollywierd, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Tacoma Access Cab TRD Off Road 4x4 V6
    RCI aluminum front skid, SnugTop, Sliders, bedside supports, LED interior, CaliRaised fogs & brackets, rear diff breather mod, DIY bed platform
    I've put the bags between my socks & shoes before, helps to keep your feet from getting soggy with sweat.

SR-71A and Pickeledpigsfeet like this.
  11. Jan 7, 2019 at 5:21 PM
    Hook78

Hook78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    Bilstein 6112/5160 Icon RXT
    Nice write up, great photos! I grew up backpacking in the Grand Canyon each spring, it’s much too crowded for my liking now. The real beauty is down by the river looking up at the rim. Quiet.

Flagstaff and Sedona are beautiful too. What a great winter trip idea.

12. Jan 7, 2019 at 5:39 PM
    campvibes

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Next time we go we will spend the whole time in the area around grand canyon and try to offroad the whole way. We only had one day there so there wasn't much time for us to really explore it. I do want to go down in the river like you said it seems that would really be the full experience.

Hook78[QUOTED] and barretta like this.
  13. Jan 8, 2019 at 4:34 AM
    Hook78

Hook78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    Bilstein 6112/5160 Icon RXT
    Avoid the Bright Angel Trail if you want to stay away from the masses. It's frequented by mule trips and so is covered in mule droppings. That's the trail the tourists take because it begins right at the village and is the easiest one.

Try the Hermit trail on the west end of the part, or the Grandview on the east side. The Boucher has some very scary/dangerous drop offs where the trail is about two feet wide. The Tanner is cool, ends at a pretty beach down by the river. Don't recommend the Hance, it's the hardest, steepest trail and the trailhead has no parking lot. Pack lots of water.

14. Jan 8, 2019 at 7:40 PM
    2Toyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco SR5 AC
    Socks get wet and the boots stay dry that way. If that works for you, ok.

15. Jan 9, 2019 at 7:19 AM
    campvibes

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Next time maybe we should just get boots that are water proof. Bags are much cheaper though

16. Jan 9, 2019 at 9:59 AM
    2Toyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco SR5 AC
    It is an old trick. Now they sell VBL socks for lots of money. Liner sock, VBL sock, insulating sock, boots. Oh, VBL only works below freezing.
    Even waterproof boots can get your feet wet. It is good to know the 'trick'.

17. Jan 9, 2019 at 10:18 AM
    Norsemanvike

Norsemanvike Well-Known Member

Member:
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Sport 4x4, DblCb, ShBd, BBP
    Plastic bags over the boots trick... My mom had us do that many times in the Midwest in Northern IL.

18. Jan 9, 2019 at 10:42 AM
    campvibes

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    I ended up going in the boots over socks and over the boots, I looked like a fool but it kept my feet dry! Two bags one foot lol

19. Jan 9, 2019 at 10:43 AM
    2Toyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco SR5 AC
    California natives?

20. Jan 9, 2019 at 11:01 AM
    campvibes

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Yeah, two of them were orignally from Hawaii. Not saying we couldn't handle the cold it was just cold for what we were used too obviously. Either way it was a fun trip. Looking forward to the next one and doing another trip report with more photos and more detailed descriptions. I always love reading trip reports and seeing the pictures. Gets me motivated

Products Discussed in

To Top