1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Seeking advice for weekend warrior truck

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by mikejulietpapa, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Jul 19, 2018 at 4:18 PM
    mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Hey everyone. I need your help and input. Why? Well, Thomas Shelling said it best when he said:

"One thing a person cannot do, no matter how rigorous his analysis or heroic his imagination, is to draw up a list of things that would never occur to him."

Thanks in advance for reading this post and chiming in.

The Gist

My wife and I want to sell my car (2002 BMW 525i) and buy a pick-up truck. Aside from the usual reasons for owning a truck, the biggest reason is that we want to sleep in the bed while we camp and travel, so that we’d avoid airfare, rental cars, and hotels. Spending time in the mountains is HUGE for us, especially at this point in our lives.

Stage One: KISS

Money is tight (IVF kind of tight) so stage one is to simply buy a truck with a bed cap/cover to sleep under.

The Usual Suspects

We’re currently considering early generation Toyota Tacomas and Tundras.

It seems there are a lot of 4 door Tacoma trucks out there but they really have held their value, which is both good and bad. The bad is that it’s just outside of our price range. Also, the length of the bed is a major concern as I’m 6’2”. Anyone that tall sleep in the bed without going diagonally?

The prices of Tundras are more reasonable but the lack of a decent backseat could be a concern. We do hope to have kids and I’ve heard mixed reviews on getting a carseat to fit. I don’t truly mind the lack of fuel economy, and it may also come in handy if I ever need to carry or tow something heavy.

Note: We are very much of the mindset that we should "buy once, cry once” and I’ve heard so many good things about Toyota. However, I’m completely open to other ideas as we won’t be doing any kind of difficult off road driving where a winch or a buddy may be involved.

Planned Use

For annual travel, we plan on spending two weeks in Colorado and one week in New Hampshire in a “camper” setup. At home, it’ll stay in a daily setup as a regular pick-up truck.

Needs
    • Reliability
    • 4 doors
    • 4x4
    • “Quickly” go between a daily truck setup to 2 week camping trip setup

Wants
    • Hitch
    • Can accept larger pop-up style camper later

What do you think?

Products Discussed in

To Top