1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Seeking Real-world tow capacity anecdotes

Discussion in 'Towing' started by DanKearney, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Jan 8, 2011 at 7:28 PM

TacoBlitz Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    First Name:
    Omaha, Nebraska
    01 DoubleCab SR5 TRD, white
    Topper, Yakima Racks, Yakima Loadwarrior roof basket (lights all around) 20% window tint (all 4 doors), Spectre ProFab Air Intake System, Black grille, Rino Lined rocker panels, rear bumper and flares Suspension: New OME 881 coils and OME 5 leaf rear springs, Blilstein shocks and struts, Daystar Greasable shackels Extended rear brake line
    This last summer I would tow a fully loaded mowing trailer every now and then which I am estimating weighs a little over 3000lbs. the truck would struggle some on hills but for the most part it did pretty good. as good as you can expect from a 6 cylinder. It also handled pretty well with the load, my truck is a double cab though so im sure that the longer wheel base helps.
  2. Oct 7, 2016 at 8:11 PM
    Taco tina

Taco tina New Member

Oct 7, 2016
    09 doc Tacoma trd
    Little lift
    I know this is a old post but I have to step in. I have had a 09 doc short bed v6 4wd. I notice a big difference in this thread. So here is the truth. You want to pull 5000? No won't flat, maybe 15 to 17 but I never got that. I live in Idaho and have mountains. Go to Yellowstone , co,Utah mountains . I always have steep mountains and I got like 7 to 10 mpg with 5000 to 6000, going down hill great mpg! My taco only gets 17 with out towing anything. These trucks do not tow well and need to be treated like small trucks for off road 4x4 driving, great off road. Great on jeep trails but not a freeway truck and good for pop up campers. Even a r pod is a lot to tow
    NMroamer likes this.
To Top