1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

seemingly rough engine idle

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rocktoy09, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Nov 23, 2009 at 12:56 PM
    rocktoy09

rocktoy09 [OP] Member

Member:
    Cresco, IA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Off Road TRD
    cold air intake
    I'll admit, I'm a bit anal (bit is defined as very) about my truck, and seem to think any odd noise or "feeling" is a problem (always have, always will) but I have maintained that my sense of being "tuned in" to my vehicles has helped prevent many a major repair. So with that being said, it seems that my 09 trd 4.0 idles rather roughly, for only having 6500 miles on it. At idle, I can place my hand on the passenger seat and feel a definite vibration. Not an intermittent hiccup idle vibration but just a steady vibration. At road speed (55 mph) it runs smooth, but there is an apparent "audible shuddering" at 1500 to 2000 RPM, which I believe to be the continuation of this vibration. I do have an aftermarket cold air intake, but can't imagine this being the cause. It is just odd - anyone experience this or am I over reacting.

I have pasted the pedal to the floor on more than one occassion, only because it is still so impressive to see what a 4.0 can do, but I would certainly hope there is no connection. Toyota motors are supposed to be bullet proof.

2. Nov 23, 2009 at 7:58 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM Roll Tide

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4 Blown Honda VTEC V8
    trd exhaust,step bars,vent visors,bed lights,tailgate mod
    over reacting?

3. Nov 23, 2009 at 11:10 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Herbie Hancock
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Mostly stock for now, I have added a cb radio, various cheap mods and I plan on adding aftermarket wheels and other items in the future.
    Much, much too much.

4. Nov 27, 2009 at 6:48 PM
    TRDKenE

TRDKenE DAMN GOOD DEAL!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Richmond, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '10 D-CAB OFF-ROAD 4X4
    TRD CAI, GrillCraft.
    that audible rattle is from the TRD intake rattling on the body...just get some campers tape and stick it under the back left corner on the bottom of the intake box (looking from the front of the truck) that should take care of that rattle

To Top