1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Seized 1GR-FE - Need Advice on Finding A Replacement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Wally, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Jul 14, 2011 at 4:04 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    If it seized it's broken even if you get it to turn the damage is done. There are lots of aluminum blocks with cast in place liners it's no big deal you bore the lines out and replace them the ridge at the bottom keeps them from going down and the head keeps them from coming up. Muriatic acid will take the aluminum off the liners if they are not scored but I still think your cams are seized they need lots of oil.

2. Jul 14, 2011 at 4:05 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    You know...I wouldn't give up on it until I took a look at the cams at least. I am not inclined to think the cylinder walls would be that damaged after a brief run like that -- more likely the main and rod bearings siezed without oil pressure.

The cams have roller followers, right? There is a chance they aren't damaged beyond use.

Maybe new main and rod bearings would get you going. My only other concern really would be debris from the bearing destruction lodged in things like the VVTi system.

3. Jul 14, 2011 at 4:07 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I will think of this every time I work on a vehicle now. If it's not ready to go and I have to walk away, I will pull the starter relay or something!

4. Jul 14, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    Wally

Wally [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario (the metric version)
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD 4x4 6MT 1GR-FE
    That's pretty much why I posted this. You just wouldn't believe how close I was to:

a) Screwing the old filter back on "just in case"
    b) Taping a note to the steering wheel saying "do not start engine"
    c) As I was going out the door and my wife asked me to pick up some Sudafed for her I actually said the words in my head "don't take the truck anywhere, I'm working on it" but I didn't speak it ...

I've been working on cars/trucks/motorcycles/boats since I was a kid and have seen enough dumb mistakes to know that "anything" can happen, no matter how impossible it can seem. So I ran all the failure modes through my head, weighed the probability of various ones happening, and felt completely safe with just throwing the filter on the floor as a reminder to myself not to start the truck.

I realize accidents happen and it's just a truck so I'll get over it ... it still hurts though to realize I'm out $2-3K + my labour on something that was sooooooooo close to not happening.

But it did. Murphy's a bitch ...

BTW, I started the teardown to evaluate the damage. The top end looks amazingly good, you can't even tell anything is wrong but it is still severely jammed. I couldn't move it at all with a pretty long breaker bar. I would guess that she went about 5-6 miles before it locked up solid but even if I can get it to spin, I'd still be scared to go anywhere with it.

The weather's going to be really nice for the next few days so I'll probably just enjoy the rest of my vacation instead of spinning wrenches. I'll save the rest for some rainy days.

5. Jul 14, 2011 at 6:47 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Make sure to keep adding oil to let soak in, enjoy your vacation.

6. Jul 14, 2011 at 7:29 PM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    If it wont spin with long breaker bar, its most likely spun main or rod bearing which is jammed and wont let the engine rotate. Pull the oil pan and inspect for damage.

7. Jul 14, 2011 at 8:31 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2

8. Jul 15, 2011 at 3:27 AM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    x2. OP, good luck with swapping in a different engine. The other member's idea of swapping in the new 4Runner engine sounds pretty cool.

9. Jul 15, 2011 at 4:18 AM
    DumpTruckTacoma

DumpTruckTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB TRD Off Road
    I'd say there are probably several out there. There are enough soccer moms on their phones out there that someone has wrecked a newer FJ or 4 Runner. Even better if you get one from an FJ since the ECU should be pretty close to the config the tacomas have. If the engine is toast, hes going to have to spend some money either way. Just saying why not have fun with it.

10. Jul 15, 2011 at 5:34 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    There was a post a while back with a link to wrecker's auctions. You could get a wrecked taco for 3-8000, pull the engine and make some of the money back selling parts to TW members, ebay, and craigslist. Plus a few of the posts have said they have the engine you want. Dieseltoyz said he has complete ones from conversions. i wouldn't bother rebuilding it. The time and money spent you could get a complete one from a wreck, member, craigslist, etc.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Jul 15, 2011 at 6:26 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Be sweet if you were to throw a diesel engine in as a replacement.

12. Jul 16, 2011 at 7:09 AM
    daredevildave

daredevildave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County, CA
  13. Jul 18, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    Wally

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks daredevildave (and everyone else), that gives me hope that I can find an engine in good shape.

I sent him a message and it's still available so I'll see what I can work out with shipping. I need to do a little research to see if the X-Runner engines are tuned differently than the 4X4's or if there are any differences that are important.

14. Jul 18, 2011 at 8:17 AM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    Neg, I have an X-runner, only thing different is the oil pan is shaped slightly smaller, they made it to hold 4.7L instead of the normal 5.5L because they had to make room for the X-Brace underneath. Besides that, all the same stuff.

15. Jul 18, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    prae

prae Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 SR5 BSP DCLB
    Bilstein 5100s, eibach springs, AAL, TRD anthracite FJC rims, PIAA Fogs, Pace-Edwards hard rolling tonneau
    I will link to a thread on CT4WD where a guy swapped his 1GR twice. It's worth a read. I believe they now require registration to view (sucks), but it's worth the pain.

http://www.ct4wd.com/forum/showthread.php?3034-4.0L-Engine-Breakdown

16. Jul 19, 2011 at 6:42 AM
    Wally

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Good news, I found an engine for $2K with only 10K miles that's been sitting on the shelf for the last 2 1/2 years out of a wrecked 2008. Everything else was either a lot more miles or way more expensive so it looks like the best option.

Need to run up to Toronto on the weekend to pick it up, after that it's just spinning bolts. Time to convert the boat trailer to a flat bed though!

BTW, the engine assembly R&R in the manual says to pull the tranny (6 spd manual) to do the swap. I assume they have a good reason to recommend that but does anyone know if it's REALLY necessary and what it saves?

Tks

PS. I think I'll turn the old block into a flower planter for the front yard as a reminder to the family not to fark with daddy's toys ever again ...

17. Jul 19, 2011 at 7:05 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Oh good news after a heart breaking event!! Glad to hear you found a new engine and can't wait to hear about the progress.

Hopefully your wife is feeling better too, poor thing. She probably is so mad at herself right now. :(

18. Jul 19, 2011 at 8:09 AM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    Every time I have done an engine swap, I have pulled the engine and transmission together. It makes it easier!

19. Jul 19, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Damn dude that'll be a great deal if it works out. Half the price of a SCer. I'd tell the wife 6k$ and order one while you got everything torn apart.

20. Jul 27, 2011 at 2:23 PM
    Wally

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Built the boat trailer flat-bed conversion kit late last Friday night and headed up to Toronto on Saturday to pick up my engine. All the way up I'm wondering what I'm going to end up getting. Still felt like it was too good to be true. Boy was I happy when I saw it ... the hoses were all new and clean looking and the exhaust manifold barely had any rust on it so it really did have only 10K miles on it.

A big thanks to Ebrahim at Top Japanese Auto Parts in North York. I thought it would be nearly impossible to find a low mileage replacement let alone one for a reasonable price. I'm not really looking forward to dropping the tranny and doing an engine assembly R&R in the middle of summer when I should be out boating but it could be worse. And here I was not looking forward to changing the differential and transmission fluid because of the work :D I think I'll be leaving it in there for another 5K!

I guess I'm going to know a little more about my truck now than I was expecting to :)

DSC05341.jpg
    DSC05344.jpg
    DSC05345.jpg
    DSC05348 - Copy.jpg
    DSC05352.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top