1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Selecting a mild lift (TRD Baja TX Pro + Icon AAL)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by crashnburn80, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Mar 1, 2019 at 5:42 AM
    SR-71A

SR-71A Define "Well-Known Member"

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TX Baja Edition. Barcelona Red
    255/85/R16 Falken Wildpeak MTs, Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, SOS front skid, Icon RXT leafs, extended & adjustable Kings, JBA UCAs, OVS wedge RTT, dual AGM batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5 winch, CB, GMRS, S1 ditch lights...
    They do make contact. But not regularly. Even less so when "on the road" (for lack of a better term..) Aka most of the time they make contact is on full articulation type of washouts, rocks, etc.

The saggy ass stock rear leafs though, thats a whole different story haha

crashnburn80[OP] likes this.
  2. Mar 1, 2019 at 8:19 AM
    Nateclimb

Nateclimb Well-Known Member

Member:
    UT
    Vehicle:
    15 Inferno Pro SC'ed
    Thanks for the feedback. My Baja has 84k on the clock so I have been contemplating replacing the suspension in a year give or take. I'm currently all stock except for Icon RXT Leaf Spring Kit (in configuration 1). I'm trying to decide if I start looking for another set of Bilstein TRD or switch to the Fox TRD, I also thought about going to a 2'' King set up.

Right know I'm pretty sure in have some small amount of negative rake. With people or gear I'm even and when towing my really small RV I sit at a normal rake.

Thanks for all your time, consideration, hard work, and sharing that knowledge with the forum. You give so much and we owe you!

3. Mar 1, 2019 at 8:28 AM
    Gerard6778

Gerard6778 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerard
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    Great thread, thanks OP for all the time you have spent sharing information. I'm glad I found this thread, I'm looking to maintain performance and reliability with the lift I choose, while increasing ride quality and visual appeal. Your focus on these desires is refreshing after reading so many threads that disregard many of these details.

MancoFett and crashnburn80[OP] like this.
  4. Mar 1, 2019 at 7:21 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 [OP] Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    The Pro TRD are softer than the Baja TRD, something to keep in mind. The Bilstein are also digressive, so if you want a similar behavior be sure to compare digressive vs progressive when shopping.

Negative rake would mean you are nose high. Positive rake is rear high. OEM is typically positive rake as you want the truck level when loaded, not nose high. However OEM on the Pro/Baja is level as they only lifted the front.

Nateclimb[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Mar 1, 2019 at 10:46 PM
    Shadowhunter

Shadowhunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Birdsview Washington
    Vehicle:
    13’ DCSB MT Sport
    Whats under the truck? OME 886’s Nitro Chargers 1/4” top plate spacers 1.5” Icon add-a-leaf for a total of 3” front and rear. 275/80/17 MTR’s SCS Ray10’ URD Stage 2 clutch Heavy Flywheel Clutch Masters Hydro Bering What’s on the front? Cbi bumper steel. Smittybilt X20 10k Under the hood? Ultimate headlight and fog light harnesses 100w/90w H4Headlights 9011 60wHir Fogs Anytime fog mod Northstar Group 34 14.7 Voltage booster Red Line hood struts K&N replacement filter on secondary air pump K&N air cleaner Donbison Snorkle In the cab? Wet Okie seat covers Petal Comander Meso Maps and Dome Molle panels on the consol Flyeyze Under the climate controls,glove box and center consol TRD Logo plates over door latches Weather Tech Floor mats with Custom TRD stickers Weather Tech Rain guards Weather Tech bug shield Full Head liner of patches On the bed? Snug-top Rebel Yakima racks Chinese knock off bat wing awning with walls Water Port Quick Fists Mount Bed Mat Anti theft tail gate bracket Trailer plug relocate Coms? Buofeng Navigation Garmin Alpha 100 ( Hound hunting GPS System) ECGS Bushing Cobra Rx75 Cb Home made sleeping platform with drawers. On the bench waiting to go in? 3* Cam Gears. Powder Coated Valve Covers Custom 3/4” intake spacer
    @crashnburn80 Thanks for another killer thread. I’ve been using it as my go to for installing my Icon add a leaf. I bought my set second hand but it was never installed by the previous owner. I left my over load in. Everything was going really smooth till I hit a little snag tonight. It appears that the Ubolts he sold me are too short to get even a thread started. I compared them to my stock u bolts and they are the same length. Would you happen to know what length u bolts come with the Icon 1.5” kit? I’m thinking I may need to find a set of bolts maybe 3/4” longer than that to compensate for leaving in the over load spring.

6. Mar 2, 2019 at 1:35 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Thats a bummer to figure out after you have it torn apart. The stock U-bolts are what is to be used if you remove the overload when installing the progressive AAL. To keep the overload in, you need a U-bolt that is longer by the thickness of the overload. My Icons came with the correct longer U-bolts. If needing a replacement ASAP, NAPA is usually able to get them same day from my experience. Measure your existing U-bolt, add the thickness of the overload, and that is the length required. Also, when installing the U-bolts, be sure to use a floor jack to jack up the the axle, either off the axle or brake drum, to compress the leafs so you are just installing the U-bolts and not trying to compress the springs with U-bolt bolts.

Shadowhunter[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Mar 2, 2019 at 9:17 PM
    Shadowhunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Birdsview Washington
    Vehicle:
    13’ DCSB MT Sport
    Whats under the truck? OME 886’s Nitro Chargers 1/4” top plate spacers 1.5” Icon add-a-leaf for a total of 3” front and rear. 275/80/17 MTR’s SCS Ray10’ URD Stage 2 clutch Heavy Flywheel Clutch Masters Hydro Bering What’s on the front? Cbi bumper steel. Smittybilt X20 10k Under the hood? Ultimate headlight and fog light harnesses 100w/90w H4Headlights 9011 60wHir Fogs Anytime fog mod Northstar Group 34 14.7 Voltage booster Red Line hood struts K&N replacement filter on secondary air pump K&N air cleaner Donbison Snorkle In the cab? Wet Okie seat covers Petal Comander Meso Maps and Dome Molle panels on the consol Flyeyze Under the climate controls,glove box and center consol TRD Logo plates over door latches Weather Tech Floor mats with Custom TRD stickers Weather Tech Rain guards Weather Tech bug shield Full Head liner of patches On the bed? Snug-top Rebel Yakima racks Chinese knock off bat wing awning with walls Water Port Quick Fists Mount Bed Mat Anti theft tail gate bracket Trailer plug relocate Coms? Buofeng Navigation Garmin Alpha 100 ( Hound hunting GPS System) ECGS Bushing Cobra Rx75 Cb Home made sleeping platform with drawers. On the bench waiting to go in? 3* Cam Gears. Powder Coated Valve Covers Custom 3/4” intake spacer
    I rented two ball joint separates and used them like giant C clamps to suck em down. I got really lucky and my Manger buddy at Les Schwab handed me some 8.5” bolts this morning. I took my grinder and ground the nub off the bottom side of the overload and one good smack with my BFH I knocked of both spring retainers. I measured when I started and had 21” center of hub to under the rear fender and after installing the add a leafs with the over load I’m at 24.25”.

8. Mar 2, 2019 at 10:15 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Give it a few days to see how it settles. Of course the passenger side will be a bit higher than the driver, because Taco lean.

9. Mar 2, 2019 at 10:44 PM
    Shadowhunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Birdsview Washington
    Vehicle:
    13’ DCSB MT Sport
    I don’t want to get your thread off course to far but I did 885s with a 1/2” top plate spacer on each side and Nitro Chargers in all 4 corners too. Well two nitro chargers today because UPS dropped the ball and I won’t get my extended rear shocks till Monday. That set up got me exactly 3” on each side.

10. Mar 2, 2019 at 10:47 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Did you also get some new UCAs to go with that setup?

11. Mar 2, 2019 at 11:37 PM
    Shadowhunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Birdsview Washington
    Vehicle:
    13’ DCSB MT Sport
    :anonymous: No, thought I would end up around 2.75” not 3”. I’m planning on trying to get it aligned Tuesday and go from there.

12. Mar 3, 2019 at 12:40 AM
    TacoCruiser

TacoCruiser Starting over

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Vehicle:
    1999 LC / 2019 TRD Pro
    Stock
    Just for future reference. If you need U-Bolts for a larger leaf pack, Wheelers Offroad has them available. I am doing a U-Bolt flip I've ordered from them shortly.

13. Mar 3, 2019 at 8:15 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Something to consider, if you order the UCAs and install them you will only need one alignment. If you get an alignment and find out you need UCAs then need a 2nd alignment, that additional alignment is money that could have gone to the UCAs. I bought SPC UCAs on a 15-20% off eBay sale, which also had free shipping and no tax. The SPC UCAs allow you to move the wheel forward to reduce/eliminate rubbing if going larger the 265/75/R16 or 265/70R17.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Shadowhunter[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Mar 3, 2019 at 11:20 AM
    Shadowhunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Birdsview Washington
    Vehicle:
    13’ DCSB MT Sport
    It was one of those O shit moments late at night when I found out they wouldn’t work after I had the pack reinstalled up to the point of dropping in the U bolts and needing the truck for work in two days

15. Mar 6, 2019 at 12:41 AM
    Gerard6778

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerard
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    Does this look like a complete TRD Baja TX Pro lift? Someone is selling it as new, but out of original box.

upload_2019-3-6_1-40-27.jpg

16. Mar 6, 2019 at 4:12 AM
    TacoCruiser

TacoCruiser Starting over

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Vehicle:
    1999 LC / 2019 TRD Pro
    Stock
    That appears to be the 'the whole enchilada.'

17. Mar 6, 2019 at 6:47 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Looks like all the key components. I’m not seeing the shorter front bump stops. I think the small item in the upper right is the rear brake line drop brackets, but not certain.

Gerard6778[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Mar 6, 2019 at 7:53 AM
    09TRDSport4x4

09TRDSport4x4 OCD Approved!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southwest Ohio
    Great thread and very well written! If the TRD stuff had been readily available (and affordable) when I lifted my truck almost two years ago I probably would have gone this route too. I’m in the same situation you described last fall right now, I’d like more ground clearance with my mild (~2” lift). I’m looking into adding top plate spacers for an extra 1/2” or so up front (I kept the overload leaf in when I installed my Icon AAL) and then adding adjustable UCAs to help me fit 33” tires.

19. Mar 6, 2019 at 9:47 AM
    Nateclimb

Nateclimb Well-Known Member

Member:
    UT
    Vehicle:
    15 Inferno Pro SC'ed
    Thank you for the clarification/education.

When you need new suspension what do you think you will go with?

20. Mar 7, 2019 at 11:04 AM
    Gerard6778

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerard
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    Does the TRD Pro Baja suspension come with any type of warranty from Toyota when buying the kit from a Toyota dealer?

Products Discussed in

To Top