1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sell '01 Get '11?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Cdavis, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Oct 19, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    Cdavis

Cdavis [OP] Active Member

Member:
    OME 2.5" Front, Rear add-a-leaf with extended shackles, Downey Super-clutch, 33" BFG MT
    So this doesn't fall really into either first or second gen tacoma territory but I have a question I would like to pose:

I posted earlier about making a big road trip in my 01 Tacoma. I'm talking really long (around 10k miles). So I'm having this dilemma and thought this forum could help.

Right now I've got a pretty sweet setup, 33" BFG MT tires, 2.5 in OME lift, custom camping/gear storage setup in the bed, etc, but essentially... great off road, however as you can imagine, it sucks on the highway. I currently have 190k on it, and have just replaced the clutch and new steering rack. I am in a position where I could potentially sell my 01, and get a new tacoma which would definitely offer some improvements in comfort for long highway drives, probably a little more space in the bed, and definitely better mileage on the highway over what I'm running now. I'm just so attached to this truck, and I just don't know much about the 3rd gen and how they compare... In a nutshell, I used to drive short distances and a lot off road, now I'm driving long distances, and my off-road driving has been limited to trailhead approaches more or less.

So the question is:

Do I modify my current truck (different, highway friendly tires, anything else???) and just keep pushing it until it dies one day?

Or do I sell it now as it is to someone who would want a truck like mine and upgrade to a new Tacoma that would suit my change to more highway miles and less off-road?

Bonus question: What are the top mods would you put on your new tacoma if you were going to live out of it/drive it 10k miles for 4 months?

2. Oct 19, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    tough call! I like em both and dont know which option is better. :cool:

3. Oct 19, 2010 at 4:43 PM
    jdtemple

jdtemple Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCAB LB TRD Sport
    Lift & Tires, in cab power outlets, Locking Bed Boxes, K&N
    To answer everything else first.
    1. Car Payments Suck!
    2. New/updated is Real nice!

Find the middle!

I would do incab outlets, camper shell, long bed, some sort of carpet kit, roof rack with some sort of storage, ipod adapter.

Good luck and be sure to let us know what you have decided to do!

4. Oct 19, 2010 at 4:48 PM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    I think that you'd be happier with a DCLB '11. The highway ride would better, you'd have a little more horsepower, and there's more room in the 2nd gen than in the 1st gen. If you are going to live out of the truck, I'd say that a camper is a must.

5. Oct 19, 2010 at 4:53 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    i would just put some street tires on it, car payments do suck, and i have 192 on my 98 and its still kickin good.. i drive about 2,000 miles a month and it does great. if its not what you need any more then you can sell. depending on your uses now whether they have changed or not. will you go offroading regularly after your trip? or will it be more to street? do you need more room? are you comfortable with a payment on a brand new truck? there are alot of things you need to look at before gettin rid of it.. just my $.02

6. Oct 19, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SAnta Paula CA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sPort 4x4 (11mgmsport)
    oem pro grill 17” pro rep wheels Fox dsc shocks
    Keep it and wait for 3rd gen

7. Oct 19, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    Cdavis

Member:
    OME 2.5" Front, Rear add-a-leaf with extended shackles, Downey Super-clutch, 33" BFG MT
    These are all good suggestions: the in-cab outlets would be a primo addition for sure. I've got a fairly good camping setup in my truck now, basically the classic wooden platform with gear storage below and sleeping above. I think I'd go with the same sort of build in the bed of the new one although I definitely would go for a mid-rise cap on the new one instead of the cab-high one I have now, and splurge on the headliner too (dripping sucks) and windoors.

I'm willing to take on the payment if it's going to be the best long term decision, just don't know if I'd be happy with the new model after driving a 1st gen for so long (since 97- this is my second). Also, yeah unfortunately I'm on the road to doctor-dom and with my much more limited time for the next number of years, my free time will be spent driving to the mountains to ski and climb, and camping out of the truck, and driving on crappy roads, but not really much serious 4wd, less daily commuting and very little time to work on the truck or just go 4 wheeling (which is sad).

Do the new ones still not come with ipod adaptors or aux inputs? If not, that's complete crap...

8. Oct 19, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    The JBL package has the aux input (no direct ipod, just 3.5mm jack).

Tough call, a lot of people that moved to 2nd gens after 1st regret the decision. I started with 2nd gen, and I love it... but it's far from perfect. It's not as 'bulletproof' as the first gens, but it is a lot nicer in the 'comfort' department imo. Go for a test drive and mull it over for a few days at least, look at the truck close and decide from that if it's worth pursuing or not. Maybe hit up a local TW meet and check out some modded second gens too.

9. Oct 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    06redtacoma

06redtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    Lifted, Slider, stock rack, rear mounted winch in stock bumper, brush guard, Sound system, ipod to car, tint, wheel spacers, 285 bfg AT,
    Does your current truck show any signs of serious cancer? oil burn? hard start?

1. Your gas is really not going to be that much better.
    2. how long do you really think it would be until the new one was set up almost just like the old one? (I really cant leave well enough alone.)
    3. I love the 10,000 miles camping trip wish i had the time to do this with the girlfriend. sounds like a blast.

Just my experience you would be amazed at how much backing off the aggressiveness of the tires a few notches will do to the highway ride and livability of the truck. i have gone to aggressive on tires twice and hated it the entire time unless i was offroad.

good luck with whatever you do.

10. Oct 19, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    1st gen> 2nd gen:D:D:p

11. Oct 19, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    Cdavis

Member:
    No hard starting, idles incredibly smoothly, burns absolutely no oil. Only problems are the inevitable squeaky front suspension (keep it lubed like crazy and it doesn't squeak)- and my ball joints are starting to wear out, also just had to replace the whole steering rack. I'm concerned with the modified ride height from the 2.5 in lift it will eat up front ends as time goes by, although I did just drop the diff so we'll see if I keep going through CV boots. Hard to say too much about it's highway ride, it's so hard to even think about with how loud my MT tires are... What would you recommend for stepping it back in aggressiveness? I've had the BFG AT's before and they were great, I probably should have gone with those instead of the MT's in the first place...

12. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    VICECIV

VICECIV Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR in Quicksand
    None (yet)
    How much do you REALLY think you're going to get for a 10 year old truck with 190K miles on it? If i were you, i would KEEP the old truck as my off road vehicle, and start making imaginary payments to myself (the ammount you expect to put down per month on a new taco) and in about six months, you'll have 3-4k as a sweet down payment.

13. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:08 PM
    Avsguy33

Avsguy33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    As long as your truck has cruise control I would stick with it. Get some BFG AT's and enjoy your truck that you have modified to make yours. 10K miles and no cruise would suck though.

14. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
  15. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    06redtacoma

06redtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    Lifted, Slider, stock rack, rear mounted winch in stock bumper, brush guard, Sound system, ipod to car, tint, wheel spacers, 285 bfg AT,
    I am a huge fan of the BFG AT tires, they are perfect in everything except thick mud and heavy heavy rain. the life out of these tires is more then i could have ever dreamed possible. I would try a tire change and see how much this helps you first off. i wont get rid of my truck until it is showing signs of death. My girlfriends car has been burning oil for over a year about 1 quart every 2 tanks of gas or more (its synthetic :) oh yeah.) its on its last leg but we are waiting for it to die die before we do anything. The funny part is who would think that a 325 bmw from 95 with 225K on it would drive like new but the motor would have cancer it still shifts great.

16. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:44 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Those 33s are too much resistance for mega highway use. Get a set of Michelin X Radials like mine. They last forever and have one of the lowest rolling resistance ratings out there. My truck has a fantastic command of the highway on these.
    [​IMG]
    Don't get a new Tacoma until you need to. Save your money and let your baby serve ya like it has been:)

17. Oct 19, 2010 at 7:50 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

IMO ... I would never get a 1st year's production model again.

I have had the following 1st year's production models ... 2000 Tundra ... 2004 Titan ... 2007 Tundra.

All were good vehicles ... but each had more than its' share of 1st year production problems.

If I had to buy new ... I would get a new 2010 or 2011 ... probably look for a good deal on a 2010.

18. Oct 19, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    supataco

supataco Shaq-enzy Falls

Member:
    First Name:
    Ichiro
    Oahu - Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2010-SSM-AC-TRDSport-PreRunner
    -17" 4Runner Trail Wheels (265/70/17) -OEM Tube Steps -Tailgate Security Clamps -Trimmed Mudflaps -Bed Bar -Kobalt Box -Bed Mat -Toyota Mats
    This the exact thinking I had that landed me my 2010. LOVE IT!

19. Oct 19, 2010 at 9:19 PM
    Cdavis

Member:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is it... I love it so much, sometimes being practical is the hardest thing to do...

20. Oct 19, 2010 at 10:14 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    There's your answer. It never makes sense to buy a new car/truck unless you really want one.

Put highway tires on it gas, oil and air it up, cooler in the back, and head out on your trip! :cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top