1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Selling My Taco. Should I add new tires?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kevinabb, May 25, 2010.

1. May 25, 2010 at 3:29 PM
    kevinabb

kevinabb [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 4-cyl. manual SR5
    I'm new here but have already learned a ton. Great forum! I'm hoping some of you can advise me on a question that I can't find anywhere else on the forum:

I'm selling my '06 Taco PreRunner SR5. Standard cab, 2WD, 34K miles. Tires have about 3-5K left. I can invest in new rubber and advertise "brand-new tires", or keep the current tires and expect a lower price.

Passenger-car buyers don't want fading tires; putting on new, decent all-weather radials is a no-brainer. But PreRunner owners, even with just 2WD, could prefer anything from 60K on-road tires to gnargly dirt-eaters. (I'm in coastal So Cal so snow & ice are probably not a factor.)

Should I spend $600-900 on new tires, probably all-weather on-road radials? Which would be more likely make your short list: pay a premium for "Brand New Tires!!" regardless of waht they are? Or pay less because of the expiring tires, then put the savings toward new tires of your choosing?

Thanks in advance for any an all help! BTW, the current tires are Dunlop GrandTrek AT20, P245/75R16. And I love the Taco; I'm just selling it so I can move up to an Acces Cab.

2. May 25, 2010 at 3:32 PM
    Maintenance Man

Maintenance Man Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-runner SR5 2.7L
    Leer camper shell; afe stage ll intake; 265's bridgestone dueler tires; rockford's power series 6.5's; tint on all windows; semi de-badged; weathertech digitial mats; grillcraft grill; blacked out headlights with eyelids; blacked out badges; and more to come.
    I say, leave old tires! Most Taco drivers mod there Taco. Ask the same price as if it had new tires, gives you some room to lower price when someone makes an offer.

3. May 25, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    I say leave the old tires on. You won't get your money's worth if you buy new tires. If they say anything about the tires, just say you can take $500 off the price.

4. May 25, 2010 at 3:36 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    What they said!

5. May 25, 2010 at 3:39 PM
    morphius

morphius Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Hi Kevin,

Leave the original tires on there. You won't recoup your money on new tires. What you buy may not be what the buyer may want. That may decrease the buyer base considerably if you charge a higher price with the new tires. Buyers would rather pay a bit less and have their own option to invest what they want after getting the vehicle.

I've seen people strip things out because buyers don't want certain add ons from the previous owner. That's how I scored a tonneau cover at a fraction of the cost.

6. May 25, 2010 at 3:45 PM
    Maintenance Man

Maintenance Man Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-runner SR5 2.7L
    Leer camper shell; afe stage ll intake; 265's bridgestone dueler tires; rockford's power series 6.5's; tint on all windows; semi de-badged; weathertech digitial mats; grillcraft grill; blacked out headlights with eyelids; blacked out badges; and more to come.
    x2, and that's how I scored a leer shell cheap!

7. May 25, 2010 at 8:52 PM
    kevinabb

kevinabb [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 4-cyl. manual SR5
    Well, that was quick and painless. Thanks guys. So the Taco goes but the tires stay with it. Shortly after I posted my question, I found a Taco I think I want to buy about 10 miles away. So I might own two of them for a little while! :D

8. May 25, 2010 at 9:03 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR
    back to bone stock.
    i bought my taco used with very bald tires. be upfront. my truck was pretty clean, and i offered him a few bills less. no harm. it was painless.

i was nervous. i bought the truck in LA, and drove it to san francisco..on essentially slicks. the very next day..i picked up new rubbers.

9. May 26, 2010 at 3:49 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Dbl Cab LB 4x4 TRD
    Toytec CO's, IRONMAN rear leaf pack, All pro front bumper, Body Armor rear bumper, BA steps MB TKO's w/285/75/16 Terra Grapplers, Bakflip tonneau cover, autopage remote start alarm, Ultragauge
    Agree with keeping old tires. New owner may replace the wheel/tires anyway.

[​IMG]

To Top