1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Selling your car privately?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jmasterj, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Aug 25, 2009 at 8:19 AM
    jmasterj

jmasterj [OP] Samsonite...I was way off!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road
    In the past I have always traded in my vehicles but with looking at how the dealer wants to ass rape me on a trade I thought I'd give Private Party a try. Any horror stories out there? Anything I need to look out for? Would you suggest listing on Craigslist, Cars.com, or autotrader?

2. Aug 25, 2009 at 8:47 AM
    c2thegreat

c2thegreat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ol' Virginny
    Vehicle:
    09 4 banger
    Readylift sst,31in. mts,TRD sport bilstein rear shocks,new head unit,bedlined tool box,fishing rack,35% tint,fogs
    Ive sold two cars on craigslist. Both were easy to sell. Just make sure you get paid in cash.

3. Aug 25, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 mod status????

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    Also be careful on local laws. I was told in my state that if I sold a vehicle in a private sale and it did not meet emissions that the new owner could come back at me for the cost of repairs. However if it was traded to a dealer then that did not apply. Like mentioned above cash, paid in full before they take delivery and fill out the form on the registration to release the title. :)

4. Aug 25, 2009 at 10:06 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Private sale is easy.... Just make damn sure that you get paid!!

Whether in cash, check, or whatever - DO NOT let them have the truck and/or the title until all funds have cleared and you have the money. PERIOD.

Always go to a Auto Service place (Brimmers, AAA, etc) to transfer paperwork/Title, etc. NEVER just sign the papers. Always do it officially.

5. Aug 25, 2009 at 10:55 AM
    FL Forester

FL Forester Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM Double Cab
    None yet
    If you are going to buy something else from a dealer, work out the sale with the private individual first and then run it through the dealer as a trade in on your new purchase. That way you don't have to pay all of the taxes on the new one. You might have to give up a few hundred dollars for the dealerships troubles of dealing with the paperwork, but you will save more than that.

6. Aug 25, 2009 at 3:55 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    SBurl Vermont
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    The tax laws differ in each state.
    In VT, I have up to 3 months after the sale to apply for a tax credit :thumbsup:
    The paperwork is all online & not that hard. I've done a few times without any issues.
    So check your particular state tax laws.
    I've used both craigslist & the guaranteed ad on cars.com. No problems, put As Is on the title & as others said, cash or local check where I can go to the bank before letting ownership go.

7. Aug 25, 2009 at 8:44 PM
    MattN03

MattN03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    20% window tint, beep mod, hardwired V1, TSB springs, AVS Bugshield-21803, USA Spec PA15, OEM Tacoma scuff plates, Weathertech mats, Truxedo LoPro, TRD skid, GY Duratrac's 265/75/16 C Range, locker mod (switch method)
    I've sold my last three trucks myself. To me, it's worth the time and hassle to sell it myself and get an extra $2000-$3000 out of the vehicle vs trading it in. Just make sure you're paid with a certified bank check and you should be could. I'd call your local DMV and ask what must be done to complete this type of transaction however.

To Top