1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sensitive VSC after TSB Tranny Reflash - Update

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by OZ-T, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Apr 12, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T [OP] Quite an experience to live in fear , isn't it ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Hello out there in TW ,

just to recap my experience , I have an 09 DCLB Sport , and I took it in a few weeks back to get the transmission reflash done , all went well , transmission shifted much smoother and I was a happy panda .

The following day I had 2 instances of the VSC engaging on dry pavement while I was cornering . I live on a small island and drive this same road 2 or more times a day , and had never had this happen before .

In the next 10 days this same VSC issue occured 8 times , always on dry pavement , I was not driving erratically , ( 40 MPH - 50 MPH ) , and always in the same two right hand corners . ( 6 times in one corner , and twice in the other ).

I made the journey to my dealership today , ( which is on a different island , and involves ferry trips and the whole day off work etc ) and the tech and I got to talking . The tech initially said there wasn't much he could do , and that the tranny reflash could have nothing to do with this VSC issue , also that the yaw sensor could not be independently reset . I was armed with info from this thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/41215-lift-vsc-answer.html

When I started asking him about the yaw sensors and the skid control ecu , he started to listen to my questions and opinions a little more seriously .

So off we go for a test drive , and of course we couldn't replicate the VSC issue , so I ask him to run a scan on the truck because my whole day was shot by that point anyway , he agreed .

I could tell by his reaction that he was shocked to find 2 error codes . First , with my steering wheel straight , the computer showed a value equal to the wheel being turned about 10 degrees to the right , and with my truck on level ground in the shop bay , the computer showed a yaw value indicating my truck leaning 30 degrees to the driver's side .

So as I understand the explanation from him , as I went around these tight right hand corners , the computer thought I was turning 10 degrees tighter and the truck was leaning 30 degrees more than was actually the case .

He reset the VSC ecu input values to 0 and I am hoping this little gremlin has been defeated .

I am no mechanic , and will certainly not be able to debate whether the tranny reflash could have affected the VSC values in the skid control ecu , but as I said this had never occured in over 500 repetitions of these same corners and post re flash it happened 8 times in 10 days .

Thanks to NVDeserted for pointing me toward the VSC link above :D , and thanks to all who helped with input on my original thread ,

TW is a great wealth of knowledge , for the veterans and the beginners

OZ

2. Apr 12, 2010 at 6:57 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Great troubleshooting!!
    your story sounded goofy last time
    But with what you found out today it now all makes sence.
    Buy that tech some coffee, or put some beer in his ride

3. Apr 12, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    dogbite

dogbite Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    '10 double cab TRD OR
    OME lift, Leer shell, Beefed sliders, Extra 12V outlets for rear bench
    Mine squeals at me turning into parking lots now and then. Only had it 2 weeks. Might go have those sensors zeroed. It's a little more squealy since the lift got installed.

4. Apr 12, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T [OP] Quite an experience to live in fear , isn't it ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    bump , then let die

To Top