1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Serious question about the AF and Navy in Iraq

Discussion in 'Military' started by rsincavage85, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Jun 4, 2010 at 8:14 PM
    rsincavage85

rsincavage85 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Plains Twp. Pa.
    Vehicle:
    Super White SR5
    Not trying to bust balls or anything. When I was in Iraq last year COB Taji, dont worry google maps shows a huge freekin 1 CAV patch on th runway. We had AF staying in the next pod from us, what was thier mission? anyone. I am jealous they played volleyball 24/7 while I busted my ass out on missions. And some Navy I know ran the jail there but did they do the EW couter measures for certain areas.? Not looking for specifics for obvious reasons just curious.

Thanks

2. Jun 4, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    sirwamz

sirwamz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manassas, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 4X4 Manual
    Not much......college student using the GI Bill to survive.
    My brother was in Afghanistan stationed with Germany's NATO force. He would go on missions with them. He's an FMF Corpsman but I don't know what he did to be honest.

3. Jun 4, 2010 at 8:32 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Being an Air Force member, we have plenty of Airman who serve side by side as gunner's in convoy's; I would venture to say for as few Transportation folks we have compared to the Army, we pull more than our fair share. In fact many of our Transportation folks see plenty of combat in Iraq and Afghanistan....the same with our EOD folks. Probably the folks you had next to you were responsible for irfield operations??? Maybe they worked in the control tower if you had an airfield...I really couldn't say since you gave limited info on what the mission of the base was. Consider the fact that the Air Frce in it's true inherent nature is not a ground combat force and then you will understand why the majority of the jobs are not as rough as the Army. I would venture to bet that if there were Air Force flying units at your base, the Crew Chiefs and flightline maintenance guys were busting their humps; as well as out SF guys guarding the base as well. As Army, you're always going to think the Air Force is a bunch of wusses...always has been and always will be the perception. Instead of questioning why they play volleybal all day, you should be questioning why you didn't build a bridge or repoir with them.....

4. Jun 4, 2010 at 8:37 PM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
    Thanks for your service.

No telling without someone who was there, why did you not just go over and ask.

And yeah...you were clearly trying to bust balls.

5. Jun 4, 2010 at 8:44 PM

10.21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Black V6 Sport
    BHLM, Satoshi, Remove Mud Flaps, Debadge.
    That's pretty funny...Marines think the same exact thing about the Army...odd

6. Jun 4, 2010 at 8:46 PM
    Justin723

Justin723 Dont judge me

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5
    Performance- bored .20 over, Doug Thorely Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, and K&N cold air intake. Exterior- 7 inch lift, ARB compressor, high pinion 4.88 with ARB locker, 4.88 open diff in the rear, PIAA 520 series lights up front, and 36 inch fire stick. Interior- 2 10inch JL W1 subs, Alpine MRX-V70 amp, Alpine type R SPR 17C 6x6 speaker in the back, Focal 165 VR with crossover tweeter up front, Cobra LTD CB, and Weather Tech floor mats.
    My best friend is pararescue other then that AF is garbage...... lol im just kidding, however ya'll are some smart mo fo's ill give ya that for sure.

7. Jun 4, 2010 at 8:46 PM
    BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO

BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO DUDE MAN BRO

Member:
    First Name:
    Hot Carl!!!
    Roy UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD-Off Road TACO Extra value package
    Icon Ext Travel w/ Resi Front and rear, Dakar leaf springs, total chaos UCA's, color matched rear bumper, color matched satoshi grille with black chrome TRD emblem, konig countersteer offroads (black) w/ 285/75 Duratracs, sockmonkey Trailiens 3rd tail light cover, Tacomaworld.com sticker (made by me), debadged all around, Relentless Front Bumper, Sliders, Rear bumper, and bed bars with Yakima rack w/ full size spare, shovel, hi-lift
    yeah believe it or not, some of us airmen have seen some shit, and some havent seen anything other than a desk in a finance office. We are human though, we do speek english, all you have to do is go ask them what they do. Some people just need to stop being ignorant and realize no matter what your job is in the military, we are on the same team and every job has an impact on our cause...

8. Jun 4, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    Justin723

Justin723 Dont judge me

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5
    Performance- bored .20 over, Doug Thorely Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, and K&N cold air intake. Exterior- 7 inch lift, ARB compressor, high pinion 4.88 with ARB locker, 4.88 open diff in the rear, PIAA 520 series lights up front, and 36 inch fire stick. Interior- 2 10inch JL W1 subs, Alpine MRX-V70 amp, Alpine type R SPR 17C 6x6 speaker in the back, Focal 165 VR with crossover tweeter up front, Cobra LTD CB, and Weather Tech floor mats.

I think thats funny. Good ol i work harder then you or im more of a bad ass. I just laugh and say " well that sucks for you my pay doesnt change either way"

9. Jun 5, 2010 at 10:12 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    That's why when you other services bust us Air Force guys we just laugh and think..."Well I rather work smarter not harder" Yes it does suck to sleep indoors and work in the AC on the hot days while the rest of you sleep in holes dug out in the ground and in tight quarters on ships. But hey, we all got to make the choice of what service we joined. And right if by justifying your job you think "I'm tougher because I'm not in the Air Force" Then angain, I get the same pay as you. Don't know too many folks who rather be serving in another service than The Air Force, but hey we're all one team one fight, and I appreciate what the other services do.

10. Jun 5, 2010 at 10:20 AM
    TacoIII

TacoIII Mr. Boombastic

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4 off road package
    3" OME 886 coils, ARB bumper warn M8000, Lightforce 240's and 255/85 16 KM2, Redline hood struts, custom offroad bodywork
    Us Air Force security forces deploy alot. we do mainly guarding the flightline and stuff. we sometimes go outside the wire and do convoys

11. Jun 5, 2010 at 5:54 PM
    rsincavage85

rsincavage85 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Plains Twp. Pa.
    Vehicle:
    Super White SR5
    No not trying to bust balls, I was just curious, you honestly don't klnow who on this site may have been there at that time. I know we had UAV's and their was an air strip. I am only curious because they had no military vehicles 4x4 vans that were 15 passenger, and pick-ups. some master sgt would always bitch at us about parking out FMTV's in what they said was thier assigned spots. I was just curious. Never said they didn't see any shit. Besides relax I never said no one did their part. The AF has some of the coolest electronics stuff I like. Besides after about a week they put up a big tarp between the t-walls like they didn't want us bothering them. So I just did my missions and relaxed when I had time to. Thanks anyway, sorry f I hurt any feelings, didn't mean to.

12. Jun 5, 2010 at 6:04 PM
    brow

brow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    '10 silver access 4x4, that'll never be done
    switched rear-view camera, custom access cab bench, tonneau cover, custom bike rack in bed, extra d-rings, de-badged, mag lite mount, weathertechs, bed lights with 3-way switches, rear spring TSB, ultra gauge, after market hitch, cab/hitch mounted canoe rack
    I've got a good buddy who is AF, did 4 tours. He's a firefighter and said that two of the tours were boring as hell, they were on-base only, so really only had a call when a plane crashed on the runway. Spent most of the time playing xbox and volleyball.

The other two he was attatched to an army unit for off base calls, and he definately saw some shit during those.

13. Jun 5, 2010 at 6:09 PM
    rentbw

rentbw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Colorado/Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 Tacoma Sport
    Bull bar, Nerf Bars, Headlights, Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Duel Exhaust.
    When I was over there I stayed on a JSS in the middle of baghdad, We occasionally had some airforce attach to us that where specialized in certain things but they didnt stay long, and we had the navy guys come in to fix jammers on our humvee's. So I guess everyone has there job. And we have a lot of "Support MOS'S" in the army that honestly do way less I'd base what someone does on there MOS not there branch of service, cause we all have FOBBITS and we all have guys that actually do stuff.

14. Jun 5, 2010 at 6:16 PM

10.21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Black V6 Sport
    BHLM, Satoshi, Remove Mud Flaps, Debadge.
    Every service does something. Closest I've been to in a war zone was the Army (aside our Navy Corpsman). I just didn't understand contractors...why pay a company a trillion dollars to do something a service member can do...

15. Jun 7, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    jhodge83

jhodge83 Any dog under 50# is a cat and cats are useless... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 Timberland Mica DC 4WD Sport
    wat?
    i was at tallil AB/LSA adder back in 06 and the army guys there lived better than the AF. army=hardened trailers, AF=tents.......army=MWR facility w/ like 15 40" w/ 360, 6-8 pool tables, etc...AF=a bunch of shabby tents w/ 1 projection tv hooked to a dvd player and like 5 booths w/ 360s...

it's not always the same across the board. we had a monument in the center of AF tent city to the airman that had died while on deployment there...many doing gunner duty like someone else stated above...

and i guess it's my fault i signed up for combat comm...:rolleyes:

:D

16. Jun 7, 2010 at 6:15 PM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    Shoot SarcotheInfidel a PM asking the same thing, he was in my unit over in OIF, and could probably give you some insight. I was only in Iraq for the invasion back on '03. As far as Navy goes, Individual augmentees to the Army, EOD, security forces, EW, ETC....I know tons of fleet sailors who've been on the ground sucking dust like everyone else. If they are playing volleyball all day, they probably have some hooch, and more importantly, women. Think about it....

17. Jun 7, 2010 at 6:26 PM
    hey1784

hey1784 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    3" ToyTec lift, 5% tint, K&N CAI, wheels & tires, BHLM, blacked out badges.
    It's not the branch, it's the MOS (or rate or whatever). There are support personnel in every branch. Their jobs are important, of course, and we are all on the same team. That being said, I have to admit that I feel a sense of pride for having been infantry.

18. Jun 7, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    hey1784

hey1784 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    3" ToyTec lift, 5% tint, K&N CAI, wheels & tires, BHLM, blacked out badges.
    Yeah, I'm going back to school and getting my commission now. I'll be a Lieutenant in the Medical Service Corps in December. Talk about a desk job! Lol I'm gonna be a fobbit and soak up all the A/C!

To Top