1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Serious rubbing with 285/70/17 cooper stt's

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Allens_Piece, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Nov 24, 2009 at 8:22 PM
    Allens_Piece

Allens_Piece [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    09 4XTRD Dbl Cab
    Wheels/tires 3" Toytek coilover w/ OME rear springs (no blocks) Billstien shocks, K&N CAI, TRD Exhaust.
    So i installed my 3 inch lift and sent it to the tire place to have the tires mounted/balanced. I have 17x9 (5.5 inch back spacing) mounted to 285/70/17 cooper stts' and i take it home to find out it rubs. i thought it was just the norm, front mud flaps and the cup deally in front of the wheel well. I took off the mud flaps and found that it clears, but if the truck articulates in the front, it will run up into the rear part of the front fenders. And in the front of the front fenders where the cup dealy is, the tires rub, but they rub the actuall fender. not the cups. What the hell am i supposed to do now? If you can help, let me know what you did. Or if there is a post on this same topic, just tell me where it is and i will read through it. Hopefully there is a cheap fix for it. I dont feel like losing my bumper for an all-pro just to make room for tires. Let me know, thanks!

2. Nov 24, 2009 at 8:26 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    get some spacers? Maybe buy a different set of wheels? Only thoughts I have.

3. Nov 24, 2009 at 8:27 PM
    peejay

peejay Yep im that Peejay..

Member:
    First Name:
    PJ
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Running a tricked out rzr xp 4
    Rollin a Hemi, and wheelin a sick xp4
    You have to trim the liner inside the fender. Turn your wheels to left and right to see how much you have to trim. You only need to trim a little bit off of each side. Your still going to rub on the frame mounts when you flex though.

4. Nov 24, 2009 at 8:30 PM
    DTacoms

DTacoms Well-Known Member

Member:
    Frisco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 DC LB BSP
    Are you rubbing to the plastic wheel wells? In order to clear 33" tires, you need to trim them. Try searching the forum, you'll find answers and pictures.

I will be installing 33" tires tomorrow and I'm ready to trim. I can post pictures after I'm done.

5. Nov 24, 2009 at 8:50 PM
    DTacoms

DTacoms Well-Known Member

Member:
    Frisco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 DC LB BSP
  6. Nov 24, 2009 at 9:06 PM
    Tsenekos

Tsenekos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Edmonton, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC 4WD trd offroad
    Toytec 3" lift w coils,1.5 AAL,5100's all around,diff drop kit, axel shims,N-Fab nerf bars,bestop supertop,fog mod, weathertech mats
    I would get new rims with less backspacing. Your thread is the reason I went 265/75/16 good luck and post some pics when you get it all sorted out :)

7. Dec 14, 2009 at 5:01 PM
    jrobson

jrobson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4
    Ultimate lift kit, LR UCA's, Bi-xenon 8000K headlights, Xenon 8000K foglites, (4) KC slimlites on N-Fab light bar, Extang trifecta toneau cover
    MAybe mine aren't rubbing because of the difference in wheel. I'm running the same size in a Moto Metal with 4.5" backspacing.

Products Discussed in

To Top