1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Serious Towing Question.. Need Help!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bostontac, May 11, 2011.

1. May 11, 2011 at 4:50 PM
    bostontac

bostontac [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Off-Road
    I have a 2010 tacoma trd v6 and I want to tow a 2005 Mitsubishi Gallant. I have never done anything like this and when I went to Uhaul to look at the price of a tow dolly their computer 'did not recommend' towing this. It said I could tow an eclipse or lancer but not a gallant (obviously weight). Looking at the truck specs i have a towing capacity of 6500 lbs and the mitsu has a curb weight of 3200 lbs. To me this sounds like a no brainer that I should be able to do it but i am very new to towing so I wanted to ask you guys out there that know a lot more about it what you thought?

Am I looking at the wrong weight for the mitsu? Is Uhaul just being overly conservative or this actually a bad idea.

The kicker is I would be towing it approx 1000 miles and this would be a one time deal. I was planning on going very cautiously but I need some input.

any advice would help. Thanks guys!

2. May 11, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    as long as you have trailer brakes i think you should be alright...but what do i know

3. May 11, 2011 at 5:03 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    Are you planning on using the tow dolly of the flat bed car hauler from Uhaul? The flat bed weighs about 2,000 lbs empty which is why it may have not recommended you tow it with your truck. Obviously you'll be within the rated capacities but I'm sure Uhaul is more conservative than Toyota was with their specs. It'll do it, just take it easy.
    Oh, and I'm assuming you have the tow package, right?

4. May 11, 2011 at 5:19 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    With the V6 tow package setup you'll be fine. U-Haul is crazy cautious...

Quick story:

I used to own a Ford Exploder and UHAUL would not rent me any trailer for fear that my SUV would roll over and I would die and my family would sue them. Then, I purchased a Ford Ecploder Sport Trac (almost a truck, sort of) and because it shared the name of the infamous Ford Exploder I also was prevented from renting ANY trailer.

Interestingly, you can rent a UHAUL trailer if you had a Mazda Navajo or Mercury Mountaineer. BTW- they are the same freaking vehicle!!!

So, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what UHAUL has to say. ANd I definitely would not let them ever ever ever install a hitch or touch my vehicle wiring. EVER!

One tip though. Stay in 4th gear. It will be better on your transmission. Cheers and best wishes!

To Top