1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Seriously debating a Frontier....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by FLtaco4x4, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Dec 24, 2009 at 1:31 PM
    rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    i could take you out for a ride with us and show you exactly what our trucks are capable of(stock) and maybe a little beyond. i've amazed quite a few people with what these trucks can do. it might just change your mind bro!

2. Dec 24, 2009 at 1:32 PM
    FLtaco4x4

FLtaco4x4 [OP] Member

Member:
    Scott, yeah you did come off a bit errogant. I'm just trying to talk about A vs B. Not trying to hurt feelings, or rag on someone for buying a Taco. I bought a 2009 TRD CC/SB in Jan '09 and sold it Aug '09. So if someone were to ask me about my truck I'd tell them my pros/cons and let them make their own decision.

Rhodehard- I'm also in Tampa. I know what our trucks can do, I wheeled my TRD OR once. I also have wheeled some of the hardes terrain in FL, A pit, B pit and other holy grail locations with my Straight axle 4runner. Really appreciate the offer though. If the Taco had a better frame, seating position and brakes we'd be in business.

3. Dec 24, 2009 at 1:32 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    I think allot of you guys have sensitivity issues or something. If the OP wants to buy a Frontier, all the power to him. He earns the dough, he can spend it as he sees fit. If you like your own Tacoma, that's all that matters. Does someone posting their negative experiences of their past Tacoma on here make you feel any different about your own? If it does, see my first sentence.

In the odd chance that some of you receive a paycheck from Toyota each time you defend their honor, please disregard my above statement and PM me the info to sign up.

Merry Christmas to ALL! :)

4. Dec 24, 2009 at 1:35 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    OP might only be at 8 posts....but that's cause he was on the board and then left when he sold his truck and is now back.

You mentioned full size - not good offroad. That stiffer frame also affects ride compliance. It also affects crash response which no one wants to test...but if you do, it's good to have.
    30 more horsepower is not like a TRD super charger for free- 4427 curb weight, 5730 gross weight on the Frontie and 4070 curb and 5350 gross on the similar Tacoma model. So power:weight on the Frontie...1:16.9. On the Taco...1:17.2. So better stock...with greater gains from a blower or even minor bolt on mods.

I'd vote a Taco again...

5. Dec 24, 2009 at 1:37 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB

For one, you arnt going learn shit on a Tacoma site, about a Frontier. At least anything that isnt partial, so I would advice getting over to a Frontier forum and doing some valuable research. Here is a thread that could shine some light on the frontier vs tacoma debate. Dont just read the first post either, go down and look at what some of the Frontier owners have to say. They both have their problems, and are about equal in severity from what i've seen, experienced, and read.

And as for your comment on the Tacoma brakes... have you hit the brakes in a Frontier lately? They suck.. Drum brakes vs. disk brakes is not a valid argument in the truck world unless you like to race your truck up and down city streets.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/frontier-tacoma-comparison-owner-both-53907/

6. Dec 24, 2009 at 1:48 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    Some more good info on their timing chain issues.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/gen-2-timing-chain-tensioner-pics-40003/

7. Dec 24, 2009 at 2:04 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    :anonymous:

Sorry :eek:

8. Dec 24, 2009 at 2:06 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    A buddy of mine had a Nissan "Nismo" Frontier. After I smoked him at the track, and off road, (Both Prerunner style trucks....I think his is called Desert Runner), and the time his spent in the shop, he sold it, and got a Tacoma.

9. Dec 24, 2009 at 2:09 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    Doesn't sound like your trying to "talk about A vs B" to me. Sounds to me like your've made a decision to buy the Nissan and your somehow trying to justify your decision by telling us why the Nissan is a better truck. We are all educated consumers. We've done our homework too. We know what the differences and similarities are between Nissans, Toyotas, Fords, etc. And with this information in hand, we all made the decision to purchase a Tacoma.

Why would you want to come to this forum and list these differences in a lame attempt to devalue our trucks? Doesn't make any sense to me. You may say that your "not trying to hurt feelings, or rag on someone for buying a Taco". However, you are doing just this with your comments.

If your here asking our permission to purchase a Nissan ... permission granted. LMAO

Here is the link for the Nissan Frontier forum.

Hope you enjoy many trouble free years in your new truck!!

:cheers:

10. Dec 24, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    ColtsTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    My buddy has a Frontier and he likes my truck 10x better for what it worth...he's had a few different problems with it in the 2 years he's had it...here's some pics from when we went camping
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/arizona/56206-few-pics-weekend.html

11. Dec 24, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    ColtsTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thats all i'm saying :eek:

12. Dec 24, 2009 at 2:22 PM
    56cbr600rr

56cbr600rr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Canton, GA (Atlanta)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma trd Sport Lightly modded
    -complete 3M front paint protectant kit -front 3m window tint -Toyota bed mat - led's (interior & tag light) -rocky mountain clutch sd -pioneer 4100 DVD (coming soon) -Weathertech floormats -shortened front mud flaps
    I had a 2006 Nissan Frontier SE CC since new. I loved it. Don't get me wrong, I like the look of my new Tacoma more now. However, the motor/transmission is leaps and bounds better than the Taco's. Also, the newer Nissan's don't have the timing chain/guide issue.

some cool things about the Nissan:
    -lots cheaper
    -you can get a moonroof!!!! I miss mine...
    -rear disk brake's
    -engine/transmissin feel silky smooth; also NO engine tick
    -sturdier in bed utilitrac system and non plasic bed
    -the interior honestly seems better quality to me on the Nissan
    -every time you get in and out the steering wheel doesn't nail the top of your thighs.
    -STURDY BOX frame
    -radio sounds better
    -get almost 1mpg better mileage in the Fronty

Few negs...
    -much less aftermarket accessories
    -not as popular/cool looking
    -I believe its harder/costlier to lift; I think
    -engine bay is more cramped

Like I said though, I think the Taco looks better and I feel "cooler" driving it.

Definitely consider/drive one! Storm Gray is a beautiful color for them.

13. Dec 24, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    Gekicker08

Gekicker08 Finally in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC TRD OR 4x4 Inferno
    How is the Tacoma seat positioning bad? I've sat in both and if you are over six foot you can't really steer in the Frontier, and I'm 6'4" and my knees hit the dang steering wheel everytime I got in and out. The tacoma actually moves backward and lets my legs roam free for what its worth. Plus, all the plastic will start rattling and falling off in the nissan after about 20 feet. Fun to drive though!

14. Dec 24, 2009 at 2:29 PM
    56cbr600rr

56cbr600rr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Canton, GA (Atlanta)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma trd Sport Lightly modded
    -complete 3M front paint protectant kit -front 3m window tint -Toyota bed mat - led's (interior & tag light) -rocky mountain clutch sd -pioneer 4100 DVD (coming soon) -Weathertech floormats -shortened front mud flaps
    It feels like there is a bar or something at the lower portion of the seat right abouve your ass.

My plastic was fine, I put 80,000 miles on the truck with no probs.

15. Dec 24, 2009 at 2:32 PM
    midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis New Member

Member:
    I'm in a similar situation, trying to decide on a new truck. Almost put money down on a 2010 Frontier Pro4X, then caught the news about the timing chain issue that hasn't been fixed since it was discovered in 05. On paper the Fronty looks better- heated leather/mirrors, HP/Torque, even a lighted 4x4 switch. But you should also look at the forums, both Taco and Fronty. Seems the Taco forums talk about what owners want to do to customize their trucks, while the Frontys talk about how to fix their trucks, a little like the Dodge Dakota forums. Personally, after 3 months of research, I'm going to wait until a local dealer has my 2010 or 11 silver doublecab TRD sport 4x4 with JBL. Just glad my wife slaped some sense in me when I actually considered a Ridgeline- the minivan of trucks!

16. Dec 24, 2009 at 2:34 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    I did love my 1974 DATSUN 260 Z but now I love my Tacoma. They both make some good vehicles, good luck in whatever choice you make

17. Dec 24, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Save the money-Skip the JBL.

18. Dec 24, 2009 at 2:37 PM
    DIVER_5

DIVER_5 DIVER_5

Member:
    First Name:
    LAWRENCE
    VALDEZ ALASKA
    Vehicle:
    SILVER WITH A TON OF MONEY IN AND ON IT.
    6" PRO COMP LIFT, PRO COMP SKID PLATE, FABTECH PRERUNNER BAR, 9" PROCOMP LIGHTS, 6000K hid HEADLAMPS WITH BLACK LENS'S, 19" ROCKSTAR WHEELS, 33" GOODYEAR MTR TIRES, DOLBY DIGITAL SURROUND SOUND PIONEER SYSTEM WITH DVD, NAV, BLUE TOOTH & BACK UP CAMERA, 10" CUSTOM SUB BOX BEHIND REAR SEAT, ROCK SLIDER BARS WELDED ON, WITH LINE-X TO MATCH THE LINE-X PRERUNNER BAR
    Well they say you can put lipstick on a pig, but IT's STILL A PIG!

MY FATHER ALWAYS TOLD ME YOU CANT POLISH A TERD...
    LOOK INTO LONGEVITY...
    OR AT THE KBB, OR NADA BOOK. DO THEY REALLY HOLD THEIR VALUE?
    YEAH, TACOMA IS MORE EXPENSIVE, BUT WHEN THAT SAD DAY COMES YOU HAVE TO SELL IT SOMEONE WILL PAY YOU MORE FOR IT.
    THATS A FACT...
    BETTER INVESTMENT HANDS DOWN.

DIVER_5

19. Dec 24, 2009 at 2:42 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    Yuck.

Same thing happened to my neighbor. His 06 frontier was a lemon so they traded him up to a Titan for free. Haha!

20. Dec 24, 2009 at 2:44 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    my brother has one,it has about 80k.never had one minutes trouble,and it comes standard with the 4 leaf pack.

Products Discussed in

To Top