1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Seriously debating a Frontier....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by FLtaco4x4, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Dec 25, 2009 at 10:32 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Im so sick of seeing this. Its a paper advantage only - that power is not available in rev ranges people actually use.

The torque is nice but with 91+ octane the 1GR-FE in the taco produces 278 ft lbs, essentially making the two engines even on torque.

In my experience test driving, Toyotas VVTi was noticeably more responsive than the Nissan in daily-driving type situations. I would imagine offroad the differences would be less noticeable.

Theyre both very good trucks. The deciding factor for me? Tacomas (and Yota trucks in general) have a legendary reputation of being unkillable. Nissans do not.

If you're not planning to keep the truck "til death do us part", you may want to look at resale value there as well. The Tacoma is FAR head in that category.

2. Dec 25, 2009 at 10:44 AM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    x2
    Oil leaks and transmission failure are a given with Nissan, I went through a couple and my dad has an '06 now. The Nissan looks good on paper but in the real world you realize that it is not as good as the Tacoma.

3. Dec 25, 2009 at 8:23 PM
    FLtaco4x4

FLtaco4x4 [OP] Member

Member:
    Well I plan on offroading it in stock form, IE no lifts just stock TRD tires and maybe +1 sized AT tires. After reading up on the Frontiers and thinking about it I'd probly go with another Taco. I just wanted to make sure I've looked and this next truck will be one to keep long term and not be like my over priced (my budget) 4 door soccer box TRD Taco.

Heres what I know:

1- Deff want a Xcab

2- Deff want 4x4

3- Deff want stick shift

Here's what I'm not sure about:
    1- TRD or basic SR5?

2- V6 or 4cyl?

I like the idea of just getting a basic SR5 4x4 4cyl stick shift Xcab and throwing a Detroit locker in the rear and adding any skid plates or items I want/need. Wasn't overly impressed with the harsh ride the TRD package gave... great off the road, but I do mainly city/hwy driving and after working 12+hrs and fighting traffic home for 1+hr each day it got pretty dam old. And like I said, my DC/SB TRD OR had a lot of bells and whistles, more than I liked. I'm a less is more kind of guy. I can appreciate simplicity, and I don't need computers to help me offroad or tell me when I can and can't use my TRD locker. I like Detroits b/c they're always on, no wires, bullet proof and simple. And I can enjoy driving vs switches, and mods to use it. As for the V6 vs 4cyl I don't really tow anything, but might like a small 18' CC/120HP boat in the future at most which I think the 4cyl would tow easily. These 4cyl are putting out more power than most V6's did 10yrs ago. And the 4cyl are lighter and wheel better, and come with a cheaper price tag.

4. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:06 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    If you are gonna buy leather get a car or SUV, trucks aren't ment to have leather in my opinion. I had to drive a sequoia around till i got my taco and it had leather and during the winter it was cold and during the summer it was HOT to sit on. I hate leather interior trucks with a passion. I dont like nissian trucks, they are too boxy and i really don't feel the get up power. My cousin has a 06 titian 4x4, and i can tell a big difference between it and the Tundra when you stomp on the pedal. There's my 2 cents on Nissian trucks

5. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:33 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I'd never get leather in a truck, either. I like being back to cloth. My Imp SS had leather. And while it had heated seats and with my windows tinted never got hot in the summer it was still annoying after awhile always trying to keep them looking good with leather conditioner and that crap. Plus in that car there was like no side bolstering so you slid all over the place. I love the seats in the Taco.

6. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:38 PM
    VixTacom

VixTacom SYC TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Victor
    Wayne, NJ
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 TRD
    LED's and Neon Glow inside, Blacked out front end, 4X4 with Locking Diff, 5spd Manual, TRD package, CB Radio, Gray Wire Mod, Thrush exhaust system, Tinted marker lights, tailights, interior lights
    Taco taco taco taco

7. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Yeah, but leather is nice cause you can just wipe dirt off with a cloth versus breaking out the steam cleaner.

8. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:46 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    What about if you had something sharp that punctured the seat? That costs more to fix it than steam cleaning, there's always seat covers :p

9. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:53 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    you know what? just get out of here your probably better off with a frontier

10. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:57 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    A lot of Heavy Duty trucks use flexy frame FYI. That said, get what you want and what feels right to you. New Tacomas are coming out in 2011 too. Took the nissan for a test drive yet? I didn't care for it but to each its own.

11. Dec 25, 2009 at 10:19 PM
    Maats

Maats Well-Known Member

Member:
    Belleville, On
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4 Blazing Blue Pearl
    Hello All...

I owned a Silver 06 Nissan 4x4 KC. I really liked the truck. It has pros and cons when comparing it to the Tacoma. I really liked the seats. I liked the layout of the interior. I liked the heated mirrors. It had a stiffer ride. I didnt have any problems with it. It had more power than the Tacoma. That being said, I didnt need all the power. I require a truck to move things periodically throughout the year. I have drive 4 x 2 trucks in the snow and it sucks. Therefore I like the 4 Cylinder 4x4 SR5 AC Tacoma with the 5 speed manual. It has better fuel economy and suits my purposes. If Nissan would have made a 4x4 4Cylinder, I would have seriously considered it. I find that nissan has better rebates on their trucks and are more willing to negotiate. Since I have driven the Tacoma, I just like everything about the truck. The Tacoma has a more solid reputation for reliability. I worked at the Chrysler plant in Windsor Ont. I saw first hand the way the vehicles were built. If customers knew what went on inside that plant, Chrysler would have been bankrupt 20 years ago. The other assembly plants in the corp were worse for quality. After talking to friends in GM and Ford, quality wasnt any better there. I never owned a North Amercian made vehicle until I bought the Nissan Frontier and now the Tacoma. I hope the quality and reliability is maintained. To sum up the Nissan Frontier is a solid truck, as well as, the Tacoma.

12. Dec 25, 2009 at 10:34 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Honestly, that is the first thing I noticed about the newest gen Tacoma's. The flex in the frame. Even my wife noticed and stated that it seemed the the bed was about to cave into the cab.

13. Dec 26, 2009 at 12:11 AM
    JLaScala

JLaScala Super White is gonna treat you right.

Member:
    Snohomish Washington
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 long bed crew cab.
    Secondary air filter removal, K&N drop in, Removed front mud flaps, Toyota all weather matts, skid plate, bug guard. Bilstein 5100's all around fronts set at 2.5", OME add a leaf, Goodyear Wrangler Authority 265/70/17, stubby 6.5" antenna, smoked tail lights, blacked out badges.
    I guess its all about preferance. I wanted the ability to make modifications to my truck. Nissan cant compete with Toyota's vast array of aftermarket parts. Plus the Frontier has low clearance even with the Nismo package, from what I've seen on the trail they just arent the off road machines that Tacomas are. That functionality is whats important to me. Power without function and purpose is useless.

14. Dec 26, 2009 at 12:56 AM
    SoCaliSnowboarder77

SoCaliSnowboarder77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valencia, Ca
    Vehicle:
    09 GSXR 600 & Snowboarders Hauler
    4x4 OFF-ROAD... that is all I need...
    I almost bought the Frontier, b/c it's a lot cheaper than Comas. But I don't like how the front end slopes down and for some reason, reminds me of a Simpson character. It's an ugly truck.

15. Dec 26, 2009 at 8:49 AM
    FLtaco4x4

FLtaco4x4 [OP] Member

Member:
    Maats- I'm on the same page as you. I really want a 4cyl 4x4 stick shift Access Cab SR5. So it's gotta be the taco. And I can throw the Detroit locker in the rear myself, along with adding Skid plates and other items such as Decals or Monroe Reflex shocks which I prefer over the billy's. And I deff don't want to many bells and whistles.

16. Dec 26, 2009 at 9:36 AM
    BTO

BTO Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver PR DC AT SR5 TP LSD
    Bilstein 5100s front, Adjustable Ranchos rear.
    It's not crazy. It's called trolling. Freakier is that he complains about the economy but he changes vehicles like he changes his underwear.
    :cool:

17. Dec 26, 2009 at 9:59 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    I use the monroe reflex in the work trucks and they ride smoooth.

18. Dec 26, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    Both the Frontier and the Tacoma are good trucks, some people responding in this thread are just being closed minded. There is nothing wrong with the Frontier, its a great truck. And, if the Tacoma was never available - did not exist - a huge majority of the people on this forum would be driving Frontiers. No question about this.

19. Dec 26, 2009 at 11:40 AM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    X2.

20. Dec 26, 2009 at 11:45 AM
    BigBawlzTaco

BigBawlzTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma SR
    I always thought that a lifted frontier has the same height as a stock tacoma.
    But that could be just me. :eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top