1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Service past 25K ??

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Willbird, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Aug 11, 2018 at 8:38 AM
    Navar

Navar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Corona CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Washed it, Icon suspension, Icon UCA
    Long story short. The manufacturers are in the business of low cost of ownership. They actually get awards for this. Short term for you is less out of pocket for maintenance. Long term for you is possibly and more then likely more out of pocket for costly repairs. Now the service department can't survive on factory recommendations and simply warranty work, and this is why they "upsell" you. Now some of those services are value to you and some not so much.

Look at your owners manual...did you even look at it yet? And the factory minimum requirements are in there. Keep in mind this is based on perfect driving conditions.

But you bought a nice truck! Like anything it requires proper maintenance if you want it to last!!! Just because you bought a Toyota does not mean it is bullet proof.

So just like you change the oil, all...ALL the fluids on any vehicle needs to be maintenance. For example, my 07 Tacoma's ATF is the WS fluid which is lifetime fluid. So what is lifetime? THE LIFE OF YOUR TRANS not forever. So when the trans fails after the warranty, YOU replace the trans. Expensive huh? But if you maintenance your fluid that trans would last a lot longer. All fluids on the car break down and loose their additive package over time, thus why you should change them. This holds true for your coolant & Power steering as well.

Another example, a good friend of mine, also here on Tacoma World was starting to have troubles with his trans and a shudder somewhere around 100k. We think it was the torque converter. He's never changed the fluid!! Remember its lifetime. So we did a drain n fill, added a quality conditioner (one of my products) followed up with another D&F a month later and he is about due for another. Long story short, the shudder went away and when we changed his fluid the first time it was BLACK and more then likely the additive package was long depleted. He dodged a costly bullet. Understanding how heat cycles destroys trans fluid helps.

ALL THE FACTORY CARES ABOUT IS YOUR VEHICLEMAKING IT THROUGH THE WARRANTY PERIOD. After that you're on your own.

Now there will be some who agree and some who don't. Here is my recommendations on changing the fluids

-Oil every 5k
    -I would also run an quality engine cleaner every oil change or every other at a min. On GDI EVERY oil change. Understanding low tension piston rings, loss in compression, oil consumption, and how oil controls the timing helps to explain this.
    -Trans, coolant, P/S, and Diffs 30k (definitely before 60K)
    -Decarb service and quality injection cleaner 15k (a must if you have a GDI engine and that's another topic)

Products Discussed in

To Top