1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Service the A/C myself?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Hansel, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Jun 11, 2013 at 5:17 AM
    Hansel

Hansel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    base
    It was 100 deg F outside the other day and the air temp coming out of the
    vent was only 85. I bought the truck recently (base 2003 Tacoma 4 cylinder) and don't know the history of the A/C maintenance.

When servicing the A/C, can you just add more refrigerant? or does the system need to be vacuumed and then refrigerant added?

I'm pretty mechanical, and think I could take on this project if I get a proper set of gauges. Or is this something best left to the professional.

I do want to do it right, and not cut corners.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Jun 11, 2013 at 5:40 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    If you want it fixed RIGHT, don't try to fill it on your own. All AC work should be done by a pro with the right equipment. Before you do ANY of that stuff though, do all of the basic checks first. Is your engine fan operating properly? Do you have any dirt or debris that could be blocking the condensor and/or radiator that would limit the airflow through it? Is your cabin air filter dirty/blocked? Mind if I ask how you verified the vent temp, and how long your engine was running when you tested it?

3. Jun 11, 2013 at 5:51 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Yeah freon charging itself requires some pretty specialized equipment (I've been told those DIY bottles at O'Reilly are just Propane, haven't ever really looked into it)

But like ^he said there's lots of stuff you can check yourself before you resort to taking it in for a recharge.

4. Jun 11, 2013 at 6:37 AM
    Mr.Jack

Mr.Jack Active Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    Remote Start, 4 Hella Lights, Brush Guard, Grey Wire
    The FSM has some great information on diagnosing symptoms.

5. Jun 11, 2013 at 6:40 AM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    ^its not freon it's r134a! it is apparently non ozone depleting. It's probably cheap lower grade refridgerant, but def not propane lol

6. Jun 11, 2013 at 6:42 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Just a little FYI, we don't use "freon" any longer. Freon was the generic term for the old R-12 stuff. It is just called refrigerant, or R134a now. Of course you know how things go, names stick with stuff. lol.

7. Jun 11, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    While the AC is running, at idle in the garage, check the little sight-glass behind the grill. While the compressor is engaged, if you see bubbles, then it is low on 'freon'. If you see nothing, then its either full or empty.

Since you just bought it, it may have a leak that the previous owner did not want to throw money at. A pro has special detectors that can pin-point the leak.

8. Jun 12, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    Hansel

Hansel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    base
    Thanks for the troubleshooting ideas. I'll try them

thanks Bamatoy 1997. My dad died years ago, but he used to be an a/c expert and had the whole setup for R12. I checked the vent temp with a gauge he had for this purpose. The truck's a/c was running for about 20 minutes. After 5 minutes of running I figured the vent temp might still come down some, but it didn't come down much after that.

I don't think my 2003 has a cabin filter, but please let me know if I am wrong.

I'm pretty decent technically, and most places around here want a hundred bucks or so to fill the a/c. Sounds high to me. For that price, I might be able to get some good gauges and do it myself. Or is this really best left to the professional?

What would be a reasonable price to top of the refrigerant, if that is all that is needed?

9. Jun 12, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    cdj1

cdj1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Vidalia, GA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma
    King Extended travel coilovers, 5100 Shocks, Daystar shackles,OME Leaf Springs,255/85/16, front diff drop, RAT skid plates, 4.56 gears, LSD in rear, Aussie locker in the front, Front Range Offroad twin sticks, trail gear/ Bash Fab rear bumper, elite off road front bumper and sliders, warn m8000 winch, in cab winch control
    I threw a can of r134 from the auto parts store in my 1st gen a year or so ago and it helped but definitely didn't bring it back to the original. Its good enough for me and was less than 20 bucks.

10. Jun 13, 2013 at 7:38 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Hmm, learn something every day huh? I thought all those were just different forms of freon.

Products Discussed in

To Top