1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Several Questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Cypherian, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Sep 23, 2011 at 8:30 PM
    Cypherian

Cypherian [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic Region
    Vehicle:
    2011 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
    Hey All,

After stalking around here and occasionally answering stuff, I have a few questions that I can't really find answers to even using the search functions to no end. I checked out a lot of builds almost all of them I think lol some very very nice builds. I am mainly going for a street truck but it has to have the ability to go off road when needed and be self sufficient for work and when up in Maine at the family home. ( Think as far N.E as you can get 32 miles to Canada). So it has to handle snow, light mud, dirt roads, mild trails and such. I also use it for work occasionally, since my state has yet to figure out playing fetch the human might require me going off the paved roads and Crown Vics SUCK in dirt or farm fields etc. Onward to the questions please be kind if they seem kind of noobish I stepped into the Tacoma from a full size 1999 Z71 Chevy after owning it and modding it for 11 years LOL. And yes I will add my current mods to my build thread with pics when I can.

1. I am adding a secondary fuse box for additional lighting for my 4-6 strips in the topper and 2 under the hood ( depends on the amount of light from the strips) along with additional 12v acc outlets 4 ea in the cab 1ea in the bed. They will be controlled by switch from the cab and one in the bed for the topper led's and 12v acc . I have the fuse block from Blue Sea, 100 amp Circuit breaker, ( New Batt Terms on order). I am looking at http://www.galls.com/uniformstyle?assort=general_catalog&style=VP007 since some of the lighting will need to be hot as needed without the key as well as one of the 12v acc plugs. I don’t want to do 2 fuse boxes if I can avoid it. I have read all the fuse box installs but no one has shown using this type of protection we use it on our vic's. Thoughts?

2. I like the painted engine cover I saw on one build looked slick does anyone know what paint manufacture color matches or is close to the silver Toyota uses?

3. Does anyone have or have they seen a decent ranged antenna for CB that flips down or is quick disconnect mind you I have a cap on and it will stay on so signal generation is a question. I have used a k-40 in the past but really would prefer not to use a magnetic mount on the cab roof again if I can avoid it. (Only way you can find out where the log trucks are on the roads in Maine, I don't care what you drive you’re loosing the argument with one of them fully loaded lol)

4. I have not been able to find replacement mud flaps made out of real rubber not the plastic that comes on the truck, which as low as they are will be snapped off this Dec when I go home for Christmas most likely. Anyone know of any direct bolt on ones? If not I will be trimming them and then reinforcing the edges with some blacked out stainless or alum.

5. I know this question has been asked in a bunch of places but the answers are all conflicting, I will be adding front bumper w/winch and a rear bumper as some point. (Not sure who’s yet) I only want to raise the truck about 2 inches IE don't want to have problems with driveline etc. But will need to be able to support the weight of those bumpers. I am also planning on purchasing a M101 3/4 ton cap trailer in the spring. I am not interested in replacing the rims they are fine (Tires will be changed out when the factory ones are worn out) With this info in mind, what are my safest options.

6. Has anyone identified the wires you can tap into from the stock inverter to place a plug in the cab?

7. Scan Gauge does any version give you oil pressure ? Or can you use the programing lang to create a oil pressure read out ? I have a gauge pod on the way from craven but not really wanting to cut into or add t's etc to stock stuff if I don't have to.

That’s about it for now check my mod thread I will start listing the stuff I have done or will be doing and try to get some pic's tomorrow though, most are just standard drop in or simple bolt on acc's. Be kind when I do though I use a PHD camera ( Press Here Dummy ) since cameras and I are not really friendly.

Cypher

2. Sep 23, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB Sport
    Pioneer AVIC-D3, SWI-PS, Sirius Satellite Radio, 2X In-Cab 110V Outlets, Constant Fog Light Mod, Inverter Always 400W Mod, Anti-Pack-Rat-In-Intake Mod, Eibachs on 5100's, 2" Toytec AAL, B.A.M.F Rear Diff Skid, 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires
    2. I like the painted engine cover I saw on one build looked slick does anyone know what paint manufacture color matches or is close to the silver Toyota uses?

Start with Krylon primer meant for plastics. Then you can coat it with paint from Automotive Touch Up.

6. Has anyone identified the wires you can tap into from the stock inverter to place a plug in the cab?

Here is a link to the writeup I made:
    In Cab Outlet Tap

3. Sep 23, 2011 at 10:21 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Arlington, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    As far as I have seen, there is no direct replacement for the stock flaps. If you want to replace them, you're best bet is likely the crappy generic ones you can get at Walmart.

If you decide to trim them, reinforcing them with a metal strip along the bottom edge will be useless. The weak point is the plastic clips that hold the flap to the body panel.

4. Sep 25, 2011 at 8:35 AM
    Cypherian

Cypherian [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic Region
    Vehicle:
    2011 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
    Thanks for the info on the paint didn't know someone was out there mixing exact colors for vehicles. And the inverter wires I had seen someone here ask before but they never got an answer and I forgot who it was to go back and check.

Cypher

To Top