1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Severe Weather thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by DEEVON911, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Mar 21, 2019 at 8:10 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    theredofshaw and DEEVON911 [OP] like this.
  2. Apr 4, 2019 at 11:10 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    Good short read from AlabamaWX
    https://www.alabamawx.com/?p=186724

Article from link VVV

[​IMG]

DISCUSSION: As many parts of North America and Europe begin to prepare and brace in earnest for the onset of the peak severe weather season during a typical calendar year, there a number of premiere issues which are worth understanding. That is, so everyone can have a better idea of how the atmosphere works and why various atmospheric phenomena evolve the way they do. One such example is understanding the different types of wind shear which can occur and their respective relevance.

To get started, wind shear is a naturally occurring aspect of the atmosphere which affects both atmospheric phenomena such as various types of convection as well as all aviation-related concerns. More specifically, wind shear comes in two primary forms which includes speed shear and directional shear. Speed shear is best characterized as any situation in which the wind shear changes in value from two given elevation points. Thus, when speed shear is present, this can often lead to situations in which there are convective storms which do not last for an overly long period as a result of core updrafts being tilted too much. Therefore, with too much speed shear, various thunderstorm forecasts can often end up being a bust in terms of forecast verification.

The other primary type of wind shear (as noted above) is known as directional shear. Directional shear is best characterized as any situation in which the direction of winds at two given points of elevation are different from one another. Often, when there happens to be rather large amounts of directional shear, there are frequent impacts to aviation safety in terms of crosswinds at any point during any flight (regardless of aircraft size) as well as to convective storm development. Impacts to convective storm development are quite often realized by way of there being a greater potential for the development of convective storms with rotating updrafts. Therefore, with greater amounts of directional shear, there can often be a greater threat for supercell thunderstorm assuming all other convective environmental conditions are conducive for supercell thunderstorm development.

Thus, this goes to show that whenever there is a substantial presence of speed and/or directional wind shear in the atmosphere, there a host of different considerations which always need to be made when it comes to both aviation and forecasting interests.

To learn more about other weather education topics, be sure to click here!

DEEVON911 [OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 4, 2019 at 11:51 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    So this happened the other day. About 3:45p on Tuesday, 4/2, I get a weather alert from one of my weather apps saying severe weather OTW.

I am building a 5 story hotel, this is important.

I go out of the project trailer, and look to the North which is where it was coming from and I see one of the blackest clouds I have ever seen and it was shooting lightning. I immediately call my mason and tell him to tell his guys to drop the tools in place and get off the deck LIKE RIGHT FUCKING NOW!! 10-12 minutes later, the sky opens the fuck up in TORRENTS!!!

So I go run into my trailer because I thought it was just a T storm and I was just going to get on the computer and do office shit until it was over. Well, suddenly out of no where the wind picked up and I am looking out the window and I can't see shit its blowing so hard. The trailer is rocking back and forth, my admin girl is freaking the fuck out and I'm starting to think maybe we shouldnt be in the trailer. So I go back to the window and look out again and I see sheets of ply wood flying through the air, for us to mad dash it into the concrete building its about 100' through a gauntlet of flying debris, so......noooope, not doing that, guess we have to ride this thing out.

What I did not know at the time was we were under a tornado warning and I later learned that that's what it was, a small tornado. Powerlines went down, trees went over and my building suffered below.

Needless to say it was gnarly, I am just glad that the wind was blowing with the long way down my trailer and not hitting us broadside. I am positive the trailer would have rolled. Especially after you see the pics below.

upload_2019-4-4_14-40-30.jpg

This wall was empty cell CMU at the time. We just weren't ready to pour it yet.
    upload_2019-4-4_14-41-25.jpg

This wall was filled full of concrete that morning and it still went over. Still to green to support it.
    upload_2019-4-4_14-41-51.jpg

upload_2019-4-4_14-42-33.jpg

I have to say, these were paracord tied down to sand filled buckets, I cant believe they stayed in place and just got crushed from the wind.
    upload_2019-4-4_14-43-6.jpg

upload_2019-4-4_14-45-50.jpg

This is #8 rebar that got bent over like nothing.
    upload_2019-4-4_14-47-29.jpg

Not an experience I want to relive. I've never been in one before and I will say I could have gone through life with out it. Luckily I made the call when I did because the masonry crew rode it out on the 3rd floor and when they came out they were terrified, my iron workers rode it out on the same floor different area and I have to say that 4 pretty rough dudes were white as sheets. So I dont know who was more scared, us in the trailer or the guys in the concrete building with no windows.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    ecoterragaia, robssol, SC2SC and 3 others like this.
  4. Apr 4, 2019 at 12:15 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Wow thanks for sharing! Definitely a life threatening situation there. Not really any safe spot in that situation. I think I'd go with the building, but with it being unfinished......that's a tough decision. Glad everybody was OK

Pchop likes this.
  5. Apr 4, 2019 at 12:23 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    :eek: Yikes. Thank God you made the call for everyone to take cover. And that it wasn't a stronger tornado.

SC2SC and Pchop like this.
  6. Apr 4, 2019 at 7:31 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Has the US not deployed a cellular network based warning system yet? In Canada now when there is a severe weather warning all cellular phones within the warning area get an alert immediately. It comes though even if the phone is silient as a long vibrate. It’s also used for missing kids when the suspect is likely nearby.

POOLGUY likes this.
  7. Apr 4, 2019 at 7:46 PM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    We have it. I just didn’t get it.

I get amber alerts all the time. Just not this time. Unfortunately.

8. Apr 11, 2019 at 10:48 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    From the SPC. Northern Louisiana, East Texas take note. If you live in these areas have a plan! Especially the Enhanced risk area!

Day 3 Convective Outlook
    NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
    0220 AM CDT Thu Apr 11 2019

Valid 131200Z - 141200Z

...THERE IS AN ENHANCED RISK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS FROM NORTHEAST
    TEXAS INTO LOUISIANA...SOUTHERN ARKANSAS...AND FAR WESTERN
    MISSISSIPPI...

...SUMMARY...
    Numerous severe thunderstorms are expected across portions of east
    Texas, Louisiana, southern Arkansas, and Mississippi Saturday and
    Saturday night.

[​IMG]

On Sunday Alabama is possibly under the gun.

SC2SC, POOLGUY and DEEVON911 [OP] like this.
  9. Apr 12, 2019 at 7:11 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Going to be rough tomorrow for Northern Louisiana and Southern Arkansas! Please pay attention to the weather if you are in these areas. Please!
    The moderate risk puts you at a 45% chance of severe weather within a 25 mile range of any location in that risk area. If you do not live in a site built home find a safe place to go tomorrow. Just have a plan!

[​IMG]

Day 2 Risk Area (sq. mi.) Area Pop. Some Larger Population Centers in Risk Area
    MODERATE 32,038 1,428,252 Shreveport, LA...Bossier City, LA...Monroe, LA...Greenville, MS...Vicksburg, MS...
    ENHANCED 42,373 2,313,676 Jackson, MS...Tyler, TX...Longview, TX...Pine Bluff, AR...Alexandria, LA...
    SLIGHT 127,411 19,118,285 Houston, TX...Dallas, TX...Memphis, TN...New Orleans, LA...Plano, TX...
    MARGINAL 113,561 14,475,548 Fort Worth, TX...Arlington, TX...Raleigh, NC...Norfolk, VA...Greensboro, NC...

SC2SC, POOLGUY, Pchop and 1 other person like this.
  10. Apr 13, 2019 at 4:40 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Not sure why the map above changed but this is threat for Today in Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas and Mississippi. Stay weather aware and have a plan!!

Day1April13-2019.gif

Tornado Probability today

Day1April13-2019Torprob.gif

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    DEEVON911 [OP], POOLGUY and baldridge like this.
  11. Apr 13, 2019 at 4:49 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    It looks like the risk for Sunday has shifted a bit. But, like James Spann says, don't get caught up in the colors and lines. There is a threat of Severe weather this weekend so be prepared.

Sunday April 14
    Day2April14-2019Cat.gif

Day2April14-2019Prob.gif

DEEVON911 [OP] and POOLGUY like this.
  12. Apr 13, 2019 at 7:51 AM
    SC2SC

SC2SC Likes Pineapple on Pizza

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    South of Charlotte
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB MGM TRD OR 4X4
    Icon Custom Build Custom Exhaust • SOS Sliders• RokBlokz
    Charlotte area now:
    3223F8CC-92F7-46F3-81BD-E7DF3616E0FC.jpg

Rain and thunder all afternoon yesterday and all night.

Toyotacrawler and DEEVON911 [OP] like this.
  13. Apr 13, 2019 at 11:38 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    I saw yesterday you guys had some severe. A meteorologist that used to work in Alabama moved up to that area. Vernon Turner. He's pretty good. I think he might be in Charlotte.

SC2SC likes this.
  14. Apr 13, 2019 at 3:16 PM
    SC2SC

SC2SC Likes Pineapple on Pizza

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    South of Charlotte
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB MGM TRD OR 4X4
    Icon Custom Build Custom Exhaust • SOS Sliders• RokBlokz
    My area today: :rain:
    455A8F3B-75D7-4175-8CC3-1216E125C33F.jpg

15. Apr 13, 2019 at 3:26 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Vicksburg Mississippi was under the gun a few ago
    IMG_ro1n3v.jpg

IMG_f48kwa.jpg

16. Apr 17, 2019 at 11:59 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    New forecast trending worse than this morning. Remain weather Alert.

...Synopsis...
    An upper trough will amplify as it approaches the lower MS Valley
    with mid to upper winds increasing to 60-80 kts. At the surface, a
    cold front/outflow composite boundary will extend from eastern TX
    into AR in the morning, and will shift east through the period.
    Ahead of this early activity will be a deepening surface trough.
    Preceding the front and early storms, southwesterly low-level winds
    will create a surge of theta-e across LA, MS, and AL during the day,
    with mean boundary layer dewpoints increasing to 68-70 F.

Very strong large-scale lift will develop over the lower MS Valley
    during the day, with intense deep-layer differential divergence.
    Cooling aloft will also accompany the cold front, further aiding
    destabilization. The result will be widespread thunderstorms, with
    corridors of damaging wind and tornadoes.

POOLGUY and DEEVON911 [OP] like this.
  17. Apr 18, 2019 at 6:13 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Mornin' folks :hattip:

Louisiana and Mississippi you're under the gun today. Stay weather aware and have multiple ways to get warnings. Alabama, we get it tonight.

STP4-18-19LA-MSDay.jpg

Weather overnight tonight. The hatched area (within the 10%) means a chance of strong tornadoes EF2-EF5. 10% chance within 25 miles of any given point in that hatch. Very unstable air down south. Keep in mind the entire state has the threat of severe weather including tornadoes.

Have something that will wake you up if a warning is issued and you're in the polygon.

[​IMG]

This evenings STP. The gulf coast will be under the gun.

Keep and eye on the weather

POOLGUY and DEEVON911 [OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top