1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shackle Flip Kit - The Official Armor Tech Offroad Thread!

Discussion in 'Armor Tech Offroad' started by ArmorTech, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Nov 6, 2015 at 7:53 AM
    ragincajun35

ragincajun35 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB MG TRD Offroad
    See Builds....
    :drool:

2. Nov 11, 2015 at 10:51 PM
    ragincajun35

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB MG TRD Offroad
    See Builds....
    LETS FLIP SOME SHACKLES SHALL WE!!!!

HomerTaco likes this.
  3. Nov 17, 2015 at 7:07 AM
    ragincajun35

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB MG TRD Offroad
    See Builds....
    Alright guys i just did this for the second time.... :rolleyes:

The most effective way i have found to get these things off is to remove the shackles and springs then cut the bottom portion of the mount off using an angle grinder. Then drill a 3/16" hole in all 8 rivets using a hardened bit. Then cut an X on the exterior of each rivet. Then grind the heads off of the exterior side of each rivet. You should then be able to hammer off the mount leaving a portion of the rivets still in the frame. The 4 bottom rivets are are tack welded to the X frame support on the top side. I used a dremel tool to cut this tack weld. Then use a 3/8' drill bit to re-drill all of the holes. The rivet with then be pretty thin. I then used a hammer and a punch to hit the rivet in toward the center if that makes sense. I hammered towards the center of the rivet collapsing it. I then re-drilled the hole and most of the rivets broke loose from the frame at which point i used a fine punch to tap them out of the fame. You then have to use a 1/2" bit to drill out the holes to fit the new mounting hardware. Just be patient and try not to rush. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Crom and Base Camp like this.
  4. Nov 18, 2015 at 12:08 PM
    ArmorTech

ArmorTech [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Thanks!

Give me a call when you're ready. We will likely be able to help with all of that. My avatar isn't getting to that point with stock shock mounts. ;)

Good write up. Sounds like a good plan without a plasma cutter.

5. Nov 18, 2015 at 8:14 PM
    bluewaters182

bluewaters182 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner TRD premium
    Weathertech Mats, Leer 180 Cap, Icon 2.5 coilovers w/700lb springs, Icon UCA, fox 2.0 remote resi 10" travel rear shocks, nitro 4.56 gears, carrier bearing drop, Level 8 guardian rims 16 x 8.5, 315/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx, satoshi grill, shorty antenna, BHLM, color matched eyelids, rear diff breather relocated, exhaust chop, mudflap delete, debadged, All Pro front bumper powder coated white, smittybilt x2o 8 comp winch, SOS sliders, illumination supply 30" single row led bar, uniden 880 CB w/2' firestick on relentless fab hood mount, full AllPro skids, AllPro expo leaf springs, AllPro U bolt flip, Ultraguage, interior LEDs , trimmed fenders and flares 2", AP ext brake lines, CMC, fire wall massage, pelfreybilt battery box, diehard group 31 battery, Kragen 7" HID, homemade HiLift mount, Yaesu ft-8900, Ellis precision AT shifter, EBC yellowstuff & sport rotors, PIAA 510 fogs, Safari snorkel
    Ok I'm intrigued, what are you running?

6. Dec 12, 2015 at 2:34 PM
    FrustrationFabTaco

FrustrationFabTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Lexington, VA
    Vehicle:
    11 Duramax Grandpa Truck Special
    :spy:
    I got the top 4 but the bottom 4 are winning... I can't see any tack weld on them though

7. Dec 12, 2015 at 10:18 PM
    ragincajun35

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB MG TRD Offroad
    See Builds....
    If you look on the top side of the rivot there is a washer and it is tack welded to the x frame support that hold the spare tire. Hard to explain. That is what is most likely keeping the rivots from coming free

8. Dec 13, 2015 at 12:45 AM
    Mach375

Mach375 Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    That's exactly what I've got. Plus airbags and homemade U-bolt flip. Works like a damn dream. Still re-thinking shackle length, though (currently on JKS banana shackles intended for an XJ).

9. Dec 13, 2015 at 12:47 AM
    Mach375

Mach375 Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    As far as getting the rivets out, I had great success with an angle grinder and an air chisel with a pointed tip. I may have heated one or two of the rivets with a torch first, can't remember. But an air chisel is pretty much required to do the job.
    No welds on any rivets (that would kinda defeat the purpose of using rivets......).

10. Dec 13, 2015 at 5:03 AM
    weldo

weldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    2014 base ac 2.7 5-speed 4x4
    I was thinking the same thing, but I'm unsure of what springs to run. My factory ones (3+1) have slight negative arch with an empty bed, I don't like that.

I think deaver j66s would be perfect. They're supposed to give about 1" of lift on their own, plus the shackle flip (stock shackles) total lift would likely be around 2"-3" which is right where I wanna be. The downside is that I've heard they can't carry much weight. I've already got an aluminum truck cap, steel plate rear bumper, and some tools in the bed. Plus I load up camping stuff sometimes for a trip, maybe 200-300lbs. Anyone know if the j66s would handle this without much sag?

Deaver makes another pack, u402 I think, that can supposedly carry more weight but I've not heard much info on them.

11. Dec 13, 2015 at 7:51 AM
    bluewaters182

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner TRD premium
    Weathertech Mats, Leer 180 Cap, Icon 2.5 coilovers w/700lb springs, Icon UCA, fox 2.0 remote resi 10" travel rear shocks, nitro 4.56 gears, carrier bearing drop, Level 8 guardian rims 16 x 8.5, 315/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx, satoshi grill, shorty antenna, BHLM, color matched eyelids, rear diff breather relocated, exhaust chop, mudflap delete, debadged, All Pro front bumper powder coated white, smittybilt x2o 8 comp winch, SOS sliders, illumination supply 30" single row led bar, uniden 880 CB w/2' firestick on relentless fab hood mount, full AllPro skids, AllPro expo leaf springs, AllPro U bolt flip, Ultraguage, interior LEDs , trimmed fenders and flares 2", AP ext brake lines, CMC, fire wall massage, pelfreybilt battery box, diehard group 31 battery, Kragen 7" HID, homemade HiLift mount, Yaesu ft-8900, Ellis precision AT shifter, EBC yellowstuff & sport rotors, PIAA 510 fogs, Safari snorkel
    I run the allpoo expos, I have a cap and lots of stuff in the back, they keep 2-3 pretty loaded down. Empty they are closer to 4. They flex well too, they have 10 or 11 leafs.

12. Dec 13, 2015 at 8:48 AM
    FrustrationFabTaco

FrustrationFabTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Lexington, VA
    Vehicle:
    11 Duramax Grandpa Truck Special
    :spy:
    Drilled 3/8 holes through the bottom 4 but they aren't budging. Even c clamped the cross member is bending up right there. 3 bits have been broken. The cross member is about to get cut off at the rivets

13. Dec 13, 2015 at 9:14 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    1/2" drill bit and as much lube as you can spare.

14. Dec 13, 2015 at 9:20 PM
    ndcmack

ndcmack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    NICK
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    BSP 4x4 TRD DCSB
    Not enough
    Why not just grind the rivet heads off?

15. Dec 14, 2015 at 5:42 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I just assumed that's what was done first.

16. Dec 14, 2015 at 7:21 PM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Truck fell over

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 Pyrite Mica DCSB Sport
    Scratches
    The J66 will go negative arch just from the weight of a double cab, with the weight you plan on carrying you should look at the Dakars or All Pro expo. Both are designed for constant weight.

17. Dec 14, 2015 at 7:57 PM
    weldo

weldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    I was worried that dakars or the expo pack would offer too much lift. I like the concept of the shackle flip, I've heard it can give a better ride on and off road and increased droop, but with the flip and expo pack I'd end up with probably 4"-5" of rear lift. I'd like to keep my front suspension lift under 2", so I wonder if that much rake will look funny. I'm not opposed to some rake.

18. Dec 14, 2015 at 8:13 PM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Truck fell over

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 Pyrite Mica DCSB Sport
    Scratches
    Mine looked funny with Dakars and the flip until I put a 200lb bedrack and now it rides nicely.

19. Dec 14, 2015 at 9:17 PM
    bluewaters182

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner TRD premium
    How much are you planning on running all the time? If not much then get just all pro standard leaf pack, or dakars and remove the overload.

20. Dec 15, 2015 at 2:09 PM
    weldo

weldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    I actually probably have 200lbs or more in the bed now that I think of it. Steel plate bumper is prob 80lbs, alum cap about 100lbs, tools and co2 cylinder maybe 50lbs, 235/85-16 spare on steel rim prob about 70lbs. It looks like the expo springs may be a good choice for me after all!

Are the dakars about equivalent to the all pro expo springs?

Products Discussed in

To Top