1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shakes, Rattles and "vibrations"- Low mileage 03

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ALawrence, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Sep 25, 2011 at 4:04 PM
    ALawrence

ALawrence [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma Sr5 Double cab 4x4
    so i bought this 03 double cab 4x4 a couple weeks ago, 70 original miles with the 3.4liter.... anyway... i'm getting strange noises while going down the highway....

when i hit around 70, i have this shake in the steering wheel.. feels like its coming from the left front. there was a bad shake when i test drove it at the dealer, i had him balance the tires and it fixed that, this one almost doesnt seem like the same vibration...

i was told by the dealer that becasue the truck was sitting on the lot for 6 months the tires have flat spots.. that the more i drive it it'll work itself out..

i dont think it'll fix itself.... any suggestions would help me out.

and on another note i'm only getting 13mpg.... i drive only 3 miles to work, around 35-25 mph the whole time... i changed the oil, it was thin and black, then changed the air filter. it was black too, and on my next tank it was still 13mpg.. i'm thinking that i throw in a set of new spark plugs, that it might help. i'm thinking the ones in it are originals....

2. Sep 25, 2011 at 4:10 PM
    Tacomadude89

Tacomadude89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austen
    California
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD SR5, 3.4, 5spd
    -Bilstein 5100 Series shocks on all 4 corners -Rancho HD lift coils -1/4" Toytec driverside top plate spacer -Toytec 1" diff drop -Wheelers 1.5" AAL's -Toytec 1" lift shackles -Revtek extended length BPV bracket -285/75/16 BFG KO T/A's -Pro Comp rims -ET Conical tyle lug nuts -Spidertrax 1.5" wheel Spacers -CV Boot slide mod -TRD skid plate -Magnaflow 14" round muffler -Shortened tailpipe hidden behind framerail -Toyota bug deflector -Weathertech floormats -Black leather seat covers -Valentine 1 Radar Detector
    Assuming that the tires are all balanced correctly, the next thing I would check would be ball joints.

It sounds like a good tune up is in order from what you describe. You're definitely on the right track though by replacing the spark plugs next. Also do the fuel filter as well and if you're feeling ambitious, you could also do the Seafoam procedure. Other things to check to boost fuel economy is the throttle body, it may need to be cleaned.

3. Sep 25, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is gooder 'en chicken Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+250k AND COUNTING), 88 SR5 PU (SOLD), 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    Make sure you get dual ground NGK's or Denso's.

4. Sep 25, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    ALawrence

ALawrence [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma Sr5 Double cab 4x4
    Thanks for your help guys. I'll have to pull the wheel off tomorrow and see what it looks like.

everyone here recommends sea foam..i run it in through my boat carbs but i had a bad experience with it once.. i had ran it through my old jeep, it had cleaned out so much carbon from the engine, it ended up clogging my catalytic converter... drove fine for like 30 miles then it started to bogg down.. the converter was red hot, caught my under coating on fire... some driver ending up calling the fire dept... bad situation...

To Top