1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shaking at idle speed...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Nate06, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Jul 8, 2009 at 4:54 PM
    Nate06

Nate06 [OP] Member

Member:
    Plano, TX
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Sport
    Hey my name is Nate. I've been lurking for a while but this is actually my first post. I did a search for a related topic but found only lifted truck threads.

I purchased my '06 Tacoma sport about a month ago and now I notice pretty bad shaking at idle speed when I turn my wheel all the way in either direction. It only does it when the truck is starting cold. It kinda feels like the truck is about to die.

The truck is 2wd and is completely stock (even the tires). I took it to the dealer and they said that it wasn't shaking bad enough for them to figure out what it was. They said it's not 'consistent' enough....even though it happens EVERY morning and after EVERY other cold start.

Anyone else have this problem or have any ideas? Inputs are GREATLY appreciated! Thanks

2. Jul 8, 2009 at 4:56 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Port Hueneme
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco
    The only thing I can think of is this:

Since it only happens when you crank the wheel left or right, your truck is actually a 4x4, and you're driving it in 4x4...

3. Jul 8, 2009 at 4:56 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Port Hueneme
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco
    Oh and welcome to TW :cheers:

4. Jul 8, 2009 at 5:47 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Port Hueneme
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco
    do you have this switch?

5. Jul 8, 2009 at 5:49 PM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Wait, your truck is sitting still when you do this right? My thought is the engine just has to use extra power to run the power steering pump?

6. Jul 8, 2009 at 6:23 PM
    Nate06

Nate06 [OP] Member

Member:
    Plano, TX
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Sport
    It's definitely 2wd. It happens when I'm turning sharp at idle speed and goes away when I straighten the wheel and accelerate. I was thinking power steering, too...maybe tranny?

7. Jul 8, 2009 at 6:47 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    What is "idle speed"?? Like you are not accelerating but the wheels are rolling or you are sitting still turning right and left full lock??

Cause if you are sitting still- I'll say you are stressing your power steering system and that is making the shudder...If it's driving it could be the same thing....Also need to check the steering rack/bushings.

8. Jul 8, 2009 at 7:02 PM
    Nate06

Nate06 [OP] Member

Member:
    Plano, TX
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Sport
    By 'idle speed', I mean letting off the brake from a sit still and rolling at idle speed (no gas pedal applied)...like when I'm pulling out of a parking space.

9. Jul 8, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...Coming off a cold start first run of the day-I'm going to guess the power steering system is in need of some attention.

Any idea if the fluid has been refreshed at all??

10. Jul 8, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    Nate06

Nate06 [OP] Member

Member:
    Plano, TX
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Sport
    I have no idea, man. How often should that be done on these trucks?

11. Jul 8, 2009 at 8:05 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Vehicle:
    I'd go with the "If it's darker than coffee get it changed" for this one. And it should be about every 50K or 3 years IIRC (some fluids are "long life" and say 100K...)

12. Jul 8, 2009 at 8:37 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    You have an "idle up" control that revs the engine when the steering is applying a load to the engine. Being as its not an emissions device, odds are its not gonna throw a CEL. Also, Check your fluid level, make sure its not getting bubbles. If it is, it may need to be bled. Also, Make sure your not holding the steeing at full "Lock", in other words, all the way to one side or the other for more than a few seconds....This can cause the fluid to over heat.

To Top