1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shark Attack in Australia

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by rollin904, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Oct 25, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    My opinion on this has nothing to do with how the animal looks. I personally think Great Whites are unattractive - have you ever seen those cameras they put in their mouths and all the barnacles and stuff attached to their gums? :puke:

Fink

2. Oct 25, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    rollin904

rollin904 [OP] Feather Slinger

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Hate sure is a strong word...I don't think anyone here has expressed that opinion for only the "cute" animals. And yea I'm not gonna give up eating meat because an animal has to die for it. I buy organic and free range even though it costs me an arm and a leg simply because I think it helps. And I fish for my own food every week..

3. Oct 25, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    My Momma says that's why Great White's are so angry, cause they got all them teeth and no toothbrush.

4. Oct 25, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    :laugh:

Fink

5. Oct 25, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    I agree with that.

Fink

6. Oct 25, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Nice and ignorant, kiddo. Who says chickens aren't beautiful creatures, too? Personal opinion, though, right? Are you one of those people who thinks others are wrong if they don't hold the same beliefs as you?

You "hate people like me?" You put words in my mouth that the only reason to save this creature is because it's beautiful? Where did I say that since I think it's a beautiful creature it needs to be saved for that reason? While you're at it, please sum up my existence and everything you know about me since you seem able to confidently define me in your post. Here's some space to write:

Great Whites are endangered. Killing them because humans went into their habitat and got hurt is almost idiotic.

7. Oct 25, 2011 at 9:03 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    ...It seems young kids and/or humans with small penis's tend to be the ones who are more likely to kill anything non-human that they come in contact with....

8. Oct 25, 2011 at 9:13 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    DH is right. Just relax.

We are entitled to our opinions and he is entitled to his. Nobody is going to solve anything online, much less on a completely unrelated forum.

You (carcharias) said beautiful, so that made him think you were one of the people that get upset over killing of the "beautiful" animals when in reality, it isn't about beauty, it's the practice as a whole that is unnerving.

I could personally go on for hours arguing about this stuff, but I also love to debate/argue.

Fink

9. Oct 25, 2011 at 9:20 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    I'm scared to death of spiders. :eek:

Fink

10. Oct 25, 2011 at 9:24 AM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    "I never mentioned the shark. I reiterated the hate line. I am not a kiddo. We are debating the subject at hand. Don't take it personal, that is the reason threads get closed. There is no stopping human expansion, the argument I would agree on is moderation. Don't get all internet tough guy on me. Your beautiful comment was implied. "

I hear what you two are saying. DH you never mentioned the shark in your earlier post, of course it was implied, but you instantly categorized me without knowing anything about me. You seem to be the one playing the "internet tough guy" role with remarks like that.

"I hate people like you and those conservationists that only protect the cute or "beautiful" animals."
    You "hate people like me?" Again, please define me. This isn't even close to a debate when you use those words.

11. Oct 25, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Alright, DH, I hear that, and it's cool. My only two points were: 1) the quick judgement based on no information, and 2) me never saying the shark needed to be saved simply because it's beautiful. It's all good.

Back on topic: this saddens me that people would destroy something they don't know anything about. JAWS defined the Great White, and caused them to be fished into near extinction. Even the folks I've gone diving with were hunting them back in the '70's & '80's until something changed in them and they turned towards White Shark conservation.

In Gaainsbai, South Africa, there is a store called Carcharias, and in there they had a huge set of WS jaws hanging up from a time when the sharks could be fished (they are endangered in SA). Well, one day, the Celtic tap-dancer Michael Flatley walks in and asks to purchase them for $10k, and they were sold. When folks got word of the extraordinary price paid for the jaws, people began hunting them again for the money. The last time I was there (early last year) diving took a turn for the worst as the largest shark that showed up was only about 11 feet, which is a big change from the one in my sig pic which bit my cage - 20ft+.

An animal's beauty doesn't factor into it for me when we talk about it being saved. Even though I think all life is precious, it's necessary to kill for survival, and that goes with all life on this planet. That's nature, and I'm just an animal myself who loves eating animal flesh.

This guy entered an area that is less natural for us than the shark that killed him. He could've taken precautions, but diving by himself shows that he wasn't thinking safely. To hear people want to kill all sharks to find a "rogue" shark like it's somehow acted differently than what we as humans perceive about these animals, is completely asinine.

That's it.

12. Oct 25, 2011 at 10:41 AM
    rollin904

rollin904 [OP] Feather Slinger

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Indeed...overwhelming response in this thread supports the idea the sharks should not be hunted. Why is that not the case in Australia? I know they have a few shark attacks a year, but if that were the case I'd just stay my ass outta the water!

13. Oct 25, 2011 at 4:29 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.

Products Discussed in

To Top