1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shaving and Beard/Face Maintenance

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ItalynStylion, Dec 21, 2011.

1. May 12, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Scotch brite pad works wonders. Put a little metal polish on and giver. That's what I'm doing with one of mine. Takes a bit of time, but it's worth it in the long run. And I'd rather have the razor eat the brite pad versus the dremel taking a chunk out of my razor.

2. May 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM
    jpneely

jpneely Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Land Cruiser, 2017 Land Cruiser

i didnt think about the scotch brite pad i guess ill give that a try first.

now this razor does have some (what i consider) pretty heavy rust. will the scotchbrite pad still work with this?

3. May 12, 2012 at 12:58 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    If it doesn't, I'd consider it a goner and just clean it up best possible and relegate it to the wall-hanging part of the collection.

Rust that's too deep for scotchbrite is going to be pretty deep, and with the rust going all the way to the edge, you're likely going to have serious pitting that won't hone out.

On a wedge or a quarter grind you would have enough material to regrind, but on anything else the blade will be too thin for a DIY project.

4. May 12, 2012 at 1:14 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Worst to worst then you can give the dremel a shot. But best to start easy before busting out the A-bomb on it right?

^What he said. But some pitting on there will give it a nice antique look. My reynolds has some pitting, but it just adds to the character of the razor. I have two others that I'm in the process of restoring right now and I'm using a brite pad and some 3000 grit sand paper to get the rust off.

5. May 12, 2012 at 5:29 PM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    Yep, I agree with this

Some putting looks good in many cases

I have one that has some putting and I think it looks good, adds character

6. May 14, 2012 at 1:42 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Holy hell!
    Finally caught up on this thread. Amazing stuff here. My mind is overloaded.

In my teens I figured out shaving in the shower worked best for me. I don't have a good beard pattern/growth or I would sport many different styles. After the service I had a barber who would clean up the hairline with a straight and at first it was a little scary. Unfortunately my favorite barbers there departed so I found a new place that didn't use a straight. Not many places do. I was hooked though. Really miss those straight trims after a cut.

I've also always wondered about true shaving, knowing full well it wasn't about Edge/Bic/Gillette. I'm not sure where to start actually shaving like a man being 40. Maybe with one of the safety razors then one day move on to a straight. Great info here to start though. I'm quite certain my grandfather, born 1900, used a straight razor for many of his 94 years. There wasn't much he couldn't do or hadn't done or seen. Most likely missed out on a hand-me-down razor. :(

Hilarious photos and comments too!

Oh last thing, FU TW for getting me into another costly interest.
    :brianr:

7. May 14, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    crazyengineer

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    Using a safety then a straight is a good way to go, it will do a lot to teach you stuff. I learned how to get a much better lather from starting with a safety, which I believe made the transition a bit easier.

8. May 14, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    That's how I did it.
    7 blades on the double-edge then moved to straights.

Good forum: http://www.badgerandblade.com

They also have subforums for all gentlemanly indulgences for those who want a simple source without getting into the dedicated forums that can be a bit snooty:
    "The Nib" for fountain pens
    "The Haberdashery" for all things clothing and accessories
    "The Brown Leaf" for pipes, cigars, and the occasional snuff-o-phile
    "The Speakeasy" for fine adult drinks (discovered Cragganmore 12-year Single Malt thanks to those guys)

Probably a couple of others that escape me now.

9. May 14, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Oh shit don't EVEN get me started.

No... even though Fusion carts are $30 for 8, you will NOT save money with traditional shaving.

I moved to traditional shaving last October and I now own:
    7 double-edge razors
    6 straights valued at $130 to $350
    3 Simpson brushes ($50-$150), two customs (one was $30, one was $200), a travel brush ($40) and my first one that I haven't used since I got my first Simpson.
    4 different shaving soaps (technically I own 5, but I binned one due to irritation)
    3 different shaving creams
    7 or 8 different aftershaves, including one that's discontinued but I can get it out of the UK... for $55 a bottle.
    Three aftershave balms for when it's cold and dry and the alcohol-based aftershaves don't cut it.

10. May 14, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    SHHHHH, that's how I sold my fiance on buying a couple straights :D

11. May 14, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Oh ya... and while it was good that those fuckers got me away from Camels, I'm now into pipes in a big way.

I currently own a Hardcastle, four Petersons, a 2012 B&B Limited Edition made by Mark Tinskey ($200 pipe)....

...and I've already made one of my own and have the parts to start another one:

The Tinskey:

DSCN0010s.jpg

And the one I made.
    The kit was only $45... Freehands often sell for over $300!

finished-2.jpg

12. May 14, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    I just jumped into straights out of the blue. Give'er. :cool:

13. May 14, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    crazyengineer

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    Actually it is cheaper than using the newest gillette whatever.........of you don't catch any of the ADs (acquisition disorders), like razor AD, brush AD, ect.....

I caught RAD the worst of all, but no matter what, of you don't catch the AD
    bug, it is definately cheaper

Oh, and you never have to throw
    Away seething that you bought

14. May 16, 2012 at 12:46 PM
    Syntonization

Syntonization tAKoma Godfather

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    09' TRD Sport dbl cab long bed
    Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX 295/70/17. Tuff Wheels 17x8 -13 Offset. Front Suspension: Fox Racing 2.5 Series Extended travel shocks w/ Eibach coil-overs, Total Chaos UCA's. Rear: Dakar Leaf Springs, Fox Racing 2.5 Series Long travel shocks. Superbump Stops. Cab mount frame chop. BruteFab frame sliders. Pelfreybuilt Front bumper, Hi-Clearance Rear w/swingarm and table. Color matched BRM! Superwinch Tigershark TS9500 SR. Morimoto 5Five FX-R Stage III HID Projector retrofit 6000K. Rigid DOT Fog lights, 20" light bar, dually ditch lights. 6500 lm LED underbody rock lights. Fog lights on any time MOD. K&N 77 Cold Air Intake. Flowmaster American Thunder CAT back dual exhaust. CompuStar 2 way remote start w/ 2 stage alarm and keyless entry. White under hood LED strip lighting, with automatic hood pin on/off switch. Dynamat & Dynaliner sound deadening in doors & cab. Kenwood DDX574BH Head unit with Maestro OBDII interface. Rockford Fosgate Punch 5 ch amp with Punch Component tweeters, woofers & sub. USB charging/data ports in blank plug under head unit. Instrument cluster, red and white LED's replacement. Backlit 4x4 selector switch. Anytime on/off Rear-view mirror back up camera. Uniden PRO520XL CB w/ co phased ATT's. Toyota Hood Protector. Coverking Neoprene black w/ red center seat covers. Color matched Devil Horns grill emblem.
    I just tweeze mine. Saw my wife do it on her eyebrows and thought, what the hell...

15. May 16, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Someday, you'll hit puberty and actually have more than 3 hairs on your chin and you'll realize how horrible of an idea that is... :cool:

16. Oct 4, 2012 at 5:58 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
  17. Oct 4, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    :laugh:

I couldnt imagine pulling out each hair! :eek:

18. Oct 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Lol, you guys just got trolled. That man is Beard Level - Expert.

19. Dec 10, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    I started shaving old school, got a Merkur double sided safety razor for my birthday. Just love it, way closer shave and just blows my old Mach 3 disposable blades out of the water!
    Merkurrazor_e164e3bad0e193da5910d9b3d027b374869bb7a5.jpg
    I have only shaved once with it, but they are supposed to last longer, blades are way cheaper, can get a 10 pack for a couple bucks, and the shaver itself is made out of metal. I shouldn't ever have to buy another for the rest of my life! Wont ever go back to crappy disposable cartridges again!

20. Dec 11, 2012 at 5:45 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That's what I use and love it. I never got the hang of using a straight razor but I love the old school double sided metal razor.

To Top