1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shaving and Beard/Face Maintenance

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ItalynStylion, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Dec 22, 2011 at 9:18 PM
    markmatters

markmatters Viejon

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner
    put 10 drops on your hands and rub it on your face...then shave...i wouldn't recommend if you're not in the shower though...it's an oil...so it kinda sticks to your face...so after the shave just soap it off...I've never had a problem with ingrown hair or acne...but I have never been able to shave with shaving cream standing in front of the mirror...there's blood everywhere...sensitive face...and i've tried mach 3...turbo...fusion..fusion is shit. I have a gillete sensor...old school but works better that that fusion pos. and recently found the quattro...which also works good. that's just me..

also, electric when i'm running late...i look like a lady putting lipstick on while driving...it works...

2. Dec 24, 2011 at 7:31 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I haven't tried this, its just something I found while researching this topic.

Instructions

Things You'll Need

• Tinted glass or plastic container with lid
    • Funnel
    • 1 cup Castor oil
    • 1/2 cup olive oil
    • 5 drops sandalwood essential oil

• Pour 1 cup Castor oil, 1/2 cup olive oil and 5 drops of sandalwood essential oil into a tinted glass or plastic container with a lid. Shake the container up well to mix the ingredients.
    • 2 Pour a small amount into the palm of your hand before you begin shaving, after washing and drying yourface. Rub your palms together to distribute the oil on both palms, then rub the oil on your face. Let the oil penetrate for two minutes, while you wash the oil off your hands, then apply your shaving cream and shave in the usual manner.

• 3 Put the lid on your your pre-shave oil and store it in a cool, dark place. It should keep fresh for about six months.

Offer for a $2 sample of Jack Black Beard Lube .05 oz
    http://www.getjackblack.com/Products/Beard-Lube-Conditioning-Shave-Deluxe-Sampler__9001WO.aspx

Here is a forum covering shaving from basic to advanced stuff
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/

3. Dec 24, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    I shave while in the shower. Shaving cream is Aveeno and razr is Gillette Fusion I think.

4. Dec 24, 2011 at 7:46 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    how the hell do yall see what youre shaving when you shave in the shower?

5. Dec 24, 2011 at 8:03 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I had a mirror that hooked up to the shower head and kept from steaming up.

6. Dec 24, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    markmatters

markmatters Viejon

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner
    this

7. Dec 24, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I have one of these. I actually disconnected it though. I just hold it in one hand and my razor in the other and just rinse it off every time I rinse the razor off. Also, keeping it clean helps prevent the fogging.

8. Dec 28, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    puckstopper55

puckstopper55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    '11 Double Cab TRD Sport, Mag Grey
    tailgate anti-theft Map Light LED's Dome Light LED LP LED Halogen Bed Light Extra D-Rings in bed Anytime Fog Lights Tri-Fold tonnau cover Wet Ok's
    i have tried "fog proof" mirrors and after a few months they all fog up. I dont want to spend the money to have a mirror siphon off hot water, but I am thinking of trying a mirror that you put water behind and drain it when you are done.

Saving in the shower is definitely the way to go!

9. Dec 28, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    Shaving IN the shower is even better (i use a fogless mirror). With AND against the grain if you want a good shave, unless you have ingrown hair issues, fortunately, I don't. People who know shaving will tell you to use some shave oil as well, prior to applying some additional shaving cream (if at all - some use oil only). I personally don't notice a difference either way.

10. Jan 24, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    Well after buying some mega pack of multi blade face scrapers at costco and hating the shave I decided to go back to my roots.

Safety razor, DE blades, badger hair brush, and real shaving cream.
    This is what I learned to shave with when I was a youth.
    That or straight razor were the choices back then.

Ordered a Merkur 34C and the starter pack from Lee's.
    Arrived yesterday and with my second shave under my belt I am feeling so much better.
    Thanks for bringing up this subject.
    My purty face is very happy, you guys are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Jan 24, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I shave my head bald. I prefer the fusion to the Mach 3 (used them both). I think the fusion works better and feels more comfortable. Also, shaving every day will probably result in less irritation than shaving once every 4-5 days. With shorter growth, it takes less strokes with the blade and it doesn't gum up the blade as quickly. Shave down with the grain first, then up against the grain if you want it closer.

I shave after showering. I've heard leaving the blades in the shower can dull them prematurely. Don't know if that's true or not.

As was stated earlier, sharp blades are must as well.

NXT was some of the best shaving gel I used. My store doesn't carry it anymore though. It doesn't lather, it just goes on clear. The bottle has an led light in the bottom. Kind of gimicky but it worked well. I also use the Nivea after shave balm.

[​IMG]

12. Jan 24, 2012 at 9:48 AM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    I find monkey oils soften the skin.

[​IMG]

13. Jan 24, 2012 at 1:53 PM
    TS1980

TS1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma DC 4x4
    I use Gillette 5 blade razors and Every Man Jack shaving cream. I've got a a very coarse beard. That shaving cream is the shit. I shave in the shower too.

14. Jan 24, 2012 at 2:01 PM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    The shave secret oil is awesome, smells kind of like old man but it's whatever. If you want a different smell Dolce and Gabana make a shave oil scented like their Light Blue cologne for men that is equally good and the ladies love it. If you have a Lush store near you and have some $$ to blow they this stuff http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/face/shaving-creams/dirty-shaving-cream that I really enjoyed. (Girlfriend got me a sample for Christmas). Otherwise for everyday shaving I use thishttp://www.bathandbodyworks.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2257431&cp=4090259.4090258.4090292.4431697.4191892 Just a little pea sized amount will do you and lasts for a pretty good while. Also shaving after a shower is a must if you have sensitive skin/want to reduce irritation.

15. Jan 24, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I used to look like a reptile after shaving. I switched to a gel soap and now I don't have a problem shaving every day. It used to be worse in the winter for some reason.

16. Jan 24, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    josef

josef Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DoubleCab
    /\ this.
    I bought a decent badger brush, proraso shaving soap (check Amazon), and an Edwin Jagger safety razor and things are much nicer now.. and i feel like a man. I've been using that setup for about 6 months and don't think i'll ever go back to cartridge razors.

17. Jan 24, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    TS1980

TS1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma DC 4x4
  18. Apr 5, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Getting ready to order from Lee's and want some input. I've never used straight or safety razors before, I've always used Mach3 and canned shaving gel. So, I figure it's time to grow up and here's what I'm thinking:

Merkur 23C - I think I'll like the longer handle because it'll be more like the razors I'm used to. I went non-adjustable after doing some reading on this article: http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/education/double-edge-shaving/35-your-first-razor.html It basically says master the non-adjustable, then trade up.

Gillette 7 O'Clock Sampler Blade pack - comes with 3 different blade types (2-5 packs of each type) so I can decide which ones I like to start. Eventually I want to try feather blades but this seems like a good place to start.

The Art of Shaving Unscented 4-Elements Starter Pack - Comes with a Badger brush, pre-shave oil, lather and aftershave. I've heard that place is pricey for razors and accessories but also that their shaving products are really great.

Cheap stand for the brush and razor.

I can't believe I'm getting shaving advice from a truck site, gotta love TW :thumbsup:

Thoughts?

19. Apr 5, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    I don't have any long handles only short ball types and my Fatboy. I love the thicker handle on the fatboy as it gives a little more heft while shaving. A none adjustable is going to be like setting my fatboy to 1. Honestly, if you want an adjustable, get an adjustable. Leave it on the lowest setting and dial it up if you're not getting the results you want. Word of advice, let the razor do the work. Don't go to town with it like you would with a Mach 3, or your face will be red and burning so bad you'll think you fell asleep in a convection oven.

Also find yourself some crystal deodorant. (I found it at a drug store.) It's made from ammonium alum. (You can find the guys unscented stuff easy) Rub that over your face after your shave and you'll really be able to tell how good your shave is. It'll burn...a lot, but it's a styptic and an astringent.

For Brushes, I have a horse hair and a boar hair, and the more I use my boar, the more I love it. It's a lot stiffer but I find I can paint the lather on much better with it and the stiffer bristles help to exfoliate and lift the beard a lot more. Just don't buy the most expensive brush you can find...at this stage of the game it's really not worth it. And personally, I don't think I'll ever own a badger now.

Good luck and if you have any other questions just ask.

20. Apr 5, 2012 at 10:16 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Thanks Krazie! I got impatient and made the purchase :eek: I did go back and forth on the adjustable razor and decided not to at this point, get used to shaving with the safety razor on something decent quality but relatively inexpensive and upgrade to the Merkur Futur in a year or so. The sample kit I bought has a badger brush, I might get a second boar brush based on what you're saying, I think I'd rather have the stiffer bristles. Great info on the alum also, I'll look for that stuff. All this is working my way toward a straight razor and actually enjoying shaving rather than dreading it! Thanks again :cheers:

To Top