1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shaving and Beard/Face Maintenance

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ItalynStylion, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Apr 5, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    I've got like 7 or 8 straights and I love shaving. It's more of a relaxing ritual now. And frankly, if you can start your day with 5 inches of steel that makes a surgeons scalpel look dull and put it to your face and neck...the rest of the day will be a breeze.
    And no worries on the impulsive purchase. You'll soon acquire RAD and it'll be a non issue. I actually got my fatboy in a package deal cheap because it wasn't listed as a fatboy. (They go for big bucks) Keep trolling ebay and pounce on one if you see it for cheap. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for them though. And that'd be a desperate grab too.

The thing I love about the straight is that I can have a good week long beard and with no trimming, I can take it all off in one pass. Lets see a Mach 3 pull that off. Haha!

As for the Alum, you can use witch hazel as well, but I find the alum to be a little easier to apply all over, and plus, you can apply it to your fingers as well to get a better grip on your face when shaving. (It absorbs water like mad and will give you gecko like grip.)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Apr 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That would be nice! I end up going over the same spot 3 or 4 times with a Mach 3 even with a 2 day growth. I'm sick of spending big money on the Mach 3 cartridges also, I think this will be a good choice in the long run. I'll keep my eye out for a straight blade in the future, I just don't have the skills or materials for one yet. Once I get good with the safety razor, I'll start practicing in with a straight blade til I can get good with technique and stropping. Thanks again man, hopefully I don't scratch my face up too bad the first few times out!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Apr 5, 2012 at 11:46 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    Don't laugh, but you should try the Venus razors. Most comfortable and close shave I have ever had. And yes they do make different colors such as blue.

I have a wife and two daughters so there is always some new (pricey) refills around and I never have to worry about buying them. But I can use one head for several months if I keep it clean and dry between uses.

4. Apr 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Funny, my fiance kept stealing my Mach 3 because she liked the way mine shaved better than the women's razors. I finally bought her her own so she'd stop stealing mine.

5. Apr 5, 2012 at 3:17 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    I dunno if it's from starting IV's in the back of moving ambulances or what, but I actually started with a straight before a safety and haven't sliced my face up that bad at all. For sure I've had a couple weepers that bled nicely, but never any that looked like someone got murdered in the bathroom.

Get yourself an inexpensive strop, cause you'll cut and nick your first one. I got paddle strop so I could take and use it anywhere. One thing I'll say, good stropping is key for an irritation free shave when it comes to straights. With safety's (As well as St8's) it's about prep. But when you get to that bridge let me know and I'll give you the 411 with stropping.

6. Apr 5, 2012 at 3:26 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Once again, thanks and I'll get ahold of you when I take that next step. I saw the pic of your new/old blade and it just looks awesome! Very nice piece of art :thumbsup:

7. Apr 5, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    I love that thing. It's a monster. And as you probably saw, it's from around 1820ish. Mind boggling.

Gives as good a shave as my brand new made this year Dovo.

8. Apr 5, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    Alderleet

Alderleet Ace of Spades

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Salty Hell
    Vehicle:
    '00 Acc Cab TRD 4x4
    I use a dovo snakewood straight razor, a badger hair brush, and gentlemans refinery black ice shave cream.

My face does this:

[​IMG]
    Every morning

9. Apr 5, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    [​IMG]

Damn straight it does. :cool:

10. Apr 5, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Thank you. Some of the answers in this thread are getting way overdone.

I use this straight razor: http://www.amazon.com/Parker-SRW-St...HBBW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333677577&sr=8-2

And plain ol' Barbasol.

Wash face thoroughly when showering. Shave after showering. Be happy.

Any more ado than this and it's being overdone.

11. Apr 5, 2012 at 8:38 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    I've seen your facial hair. It's a shrub compared to the tigris forest that is mine.

12. Apr 6, 2012 at 6:02 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Don't matter none. Straight razor is the way to go regardless. Cartridge razors just don't provide the flexibility of use one needs for a decent shave.

Where it tends to get out of control is the myriad of skin cremes, aftershaves, moisturizers, and vagina scent products that tend to go on after shaving.

13. Apr 6, 2012 at 6:28 AM
    markmatters

markmatters Viejon

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner
    oh, a manly man.

14. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:50 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    subbed. :thumbsup:

Ive been using an electric almost exclusivly since Ive had facial hair (14 years old haha) as I felt that regular blades always fucked up my skin. Basic training was brutal on my face having to shave every day and having very little time to do it.
    I guess I just didnt know how to shave properly. I will be trying out others techniques in this thread.

15. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    my new sig

16. Apr 6, 2012 at 9:32 PM
    423Mram

423Mram Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Cali
    Vehicle:
    06 Super White PreRunner DCLB
    Products:
    Art of Shaving Pre Shave Oil - Unscented
    Proraso Ultra Sensative Pre Shave Cream
    Proraso Ultra Sensative Shave Soap
    Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush
    Merkur 38C DE Razor with Feather Blades
    Proraso Ultra Sensative After Shave Balm
    Art of Shaving Ingrown Hair Night Cream.

If you noticed, I have extremely sensitive skin. Been thinking of trying a boar brush as I heard they are stiffer than badger brushes. I like to really work the lather onto my skin so I figured a boar would do better than my badger.

17. Apr 8, 2012 at 2:28 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    I don't do the cremes and such. Just the Alum block. Trust me...rubbing that on your face after a shave is the definition of manliness. It's like rubbing a rabid cat all over your face covered in broken glass and vinegar, and splashing gasoline on as a salve and flambéing it for good measure.

18. Apr 8, 2012 at 3:09 PM
    jpneely

jpneely Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Land Cruiser, 2017 Land Cruiser
    soo the advantage of the straight/safety blade shaves is the closeness of the shave?

ive had the same blade on my mach 3 turbo for about 4 months now because i hate dropping 20 bucks on 4 blades that ill go through in a few weeks only to be back in the same dilemma as before....

oh and i dont use shaving creme because i shave in the showa and its cheaper haha. but i dont really have a problem with to much irritation except on my upper lip area. but even that only when the blade begins to have wear and tear.

so yea is there any financial advantage to traditional shaving?

19. Apr 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    If you don't get RAD then yes, you'll save money in the long run for sure. As for the closeness of shaving. For beginners you'll get closer with your mach III. Just because going against the grain with a straight or a double edge safety razor will give you the worst razor burn of your life. Right now though, I can get a baby butt smooth shave on all areas of my face including my chin with a straight razor. Took a bit to get that down pat, but the skill needed to do it takes a bit to hone properly.

I just love the fact that it's a lost skill and I think it's badass to shave with a hunk of steel that's well over 200 years old.

20. Apr 9, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Are you quite done pissing in this thread and upping your post count?

To Top