1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shell for a 1st Gen

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by abbaschild, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Jan 20, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    abbaschild

abbaschild [OP] Member

Member:
    Orange Co., CA
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma 4WD
    Shell, carpet kit, rear suspension, wheels
    I just sold my 98 and bought an 02 (Only 68,000 miles). I need to put a shell on it. Right now I'm looking at Leer and Snugtop. Anyone have any experience/suggestions/preferences?

2. Jan 20, 2010 at 3:29 PM
    Werloc

Werloc Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Central, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double Cab 4X4 TRD 3.4 V6
    Leer I think is good. I've heard both good and bad about them, mostly good. I know they've been around forever. I had one 20 years ago on my 1985 Hilux and loved it. Depending on color you want, you should find a nice one under $400 on craigslist.org in your area. I see "Tons" of caps in my area every week....;)

3. Jan 20, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    A.R.E is another good one.

4. Jan 20, 2010 at 7:29 PM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    same here I need to get one for mine as well.. when shopping for used caps on craigslist, do we have to search for "tacoma caps"? Are they made specific to a make+model? Or is it generic enough that one cap size will fit multiple compact models?

5. Jan 20, 2010 at 11:37 PM
    1998tacoma4x4

1998tacoma4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma 4x4 3.4L Auto
    Deaver j59 pack 2.5 SAW coilovers, rear bilstein 5100's. Extened stainless rear brake line, deck plate mod, drop in K&N filter, Kenwood headunit & pioneer speakers, SnugTop Shell.
    i have had good luck with my snug top shell.

6. Jan 21, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    You need to look for a cap / shell / canopy / topper designed for a 1995.5 - 2004 Tacoma. Regular Cab and XtraCab bed dimensions stayed the same throughout this period (except, of course, for StepSide beds).

You should also check whether the cap was designed for a Regular Cab or XtraCab. Because the rear cab wall 'profile' is different between these two models, caps designed for one may not fit up or look right on the other.

7. Jan 21, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    randombob

randombob Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eureka, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR
    stuffs
    I bought a Leer 100XR for my 2009. Had the "pretty" glass in the rear and seemed a good value. One major-for-me issue though, is that the latch mechanism they use only requires a strike to unlatch it. I use my truck/shell as a doggy transport for my four-legged kids, and what was happening was that when they went to the back to stick their heads out the side windows, they'd bump the latch and it would open. Imagine having 3 dogs in the back, you're doing 70mph down the highway, and you peek back and notice there's no back window.

Cost me an additional $150 to fabricate a guard system for the latch mechanisms, which also added more wieght to the door and now it doesn't quite open as high as it used to.

If you have pets I would suggest finding a local dealer and checking them out. I can't speak for the latch mechanism of the ARE's or the snugtop as I don't have them, but I am displeased with both Leer's design, as well as their inability to even give a call back after at least two attempted phone calls & messages left.

8. Jan 21, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    TacomaJack09

TacomaJack09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    Billie 5100's, Ride Rite Airbags, Tech Deck
    I would recommend a A.R.E. with Win-Doors. Usually the side windows on caps are fixed, and you can only slide the windows back. The win-doors you can slide the glass back or lift the glass. Check out the link below. I currently have a Leer, but I am saving up for a A.R.E. with win doors.

By the way if you haven't been the the baja taco website, check it out. This guy has a very sweet rig and gives you great mod instructions.

http://www.bajataco.com/Camper1.html

To Top