1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shell / Topper Decision

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by SLOsquirrel, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Jan 18, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    SLOsquirrel

SLOsquirrel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab TRD Off Road
    None... Yet
    Been looking at shells for for my Super White 2005 Access Cab TRD OR ever since I bought it in early December.

Mostly been focusing on CL and TW to find a used one but it seems like all the "good" ones (Snugtop / Leer) are in the $1000-$1200 range and located 150 miles away. I even had a lead on a nice Leer 100xr in Stockton for $1000 and was gonna grab it on my way to Tahoe tomorrow. Then I found out it had just been sold.

At the advice of a co-worker I called a local shop to see what they could quote me to order one.

Turns out they just got a Snugtop Rebel in the other day. It's color matched and ready to go!

Prices below are what the guy quoted me:

• Snugtop Rebel Shell: $1560
    • Lining : Free (in lieu of the $100 coupon on Snugtops site)
    • Fold Down Front Slider : $89
    • Pro Lock System : $25 (normally $50)
    • Grand Total = $1,674 (Before Taxes)
    Is it worthwhile to buy a new shell for the price difference (i.e. warranty, leaks, scratches, fading, blemishes, etc.)

Also, does anyone have experience in haggling over the price with a dealer (similar to a new car?). I also have a co-worker with a 2011 DCSB that wants a Snugtop (he already had the brochure from the same dealer) and was gonna see if we could get a package deal.

I know I want either a Leer or a Snugtop but not real sure about exact models or options I would want. Any suggestions?

Time is of the essence regarding my decision because I'm leaving for Tahoe for a weekend trip tomorrow and it would be a GREAT thing to have as we should be getting DUMPED on!

2. Jan 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    I have a leer and have been happy with it. I have the 180CC. The rack is a Kargomaster I think?

The nice thing about ordering it is you can get what ever windows you want. I was able to get all three with the lift up option. That is very nice when getting things out close to the cab. And the front window can pull out to make it easier to clean. One note however don't have them put in any cab light or 12 volt outlets. The crap they use is not worth it. This is my shell on my 06. I put it on my 2012.

[​IMG]

3. Jan 18, 2012 at 4:08 PM
    SLOsquirrel

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    None... Yet
    Thanks for the quick response and your input.

I really like the looks of the Snugtop Rebel. Only real addition I might want is the windoors that have the center portion that slides open.

What about price? Does $1674 seem fair? Could I haggle with him? Keep in mind my co-worker and I might each buy one...

4. Jan 18, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    NHCrewcab2008

NHCrewcab2008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thornton, NH
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD
    I am in the same boat, I can't find anything local, and new seems to expensive, and to what the other guy said, don't get the lights, install our own.

5. Jan 18, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    easyeatlanta

easyeatlanta Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    14 DC Trd Off Road
    get a bestop supertop much lighter and cheaper

6. Jan 18, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    Before deciding on which cap, you might want to think about what (if anything) you'll ever want to haul on top of it. If you think you'll want to go more than 150lbs, you should be looking at a commercial-grade instead. I went with the Leer 100RCC with the Dewalt rack because I can haul up to 400lbs on it and it still looks and fits very nicely-

[​IMG]

7. Jan 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    ShaneG

ShaneG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    11 Prerunner SR5
    Unless it's something you need to have right now, I'd wait it out a bit longer and see what CL has to offer. I was able to pick up a relatively new, perfect condition Leer 700 tonneau for $500 installed. These retail for $1200'ish new. Prior to finding this deal, I was about to pick up a Leer 100XQ camper for around the same price. Had it been magnetic gray, I would have picked it up in a heart beat. These shells sell for close to $2,000 new.

Lots of great deals out there offered by those who just want to get the shit out of their garage. Just takes a little patience. I say wait it out, but it's your money.

8. Jan 19, 2012 at 6:36 AM
    SLOsquirrel

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    None... Yet
    Lowest the guy could do was $1,725 OTD. The town I live in is relatively small, I'm sure if I was in the Bay Area or So-Cal I could get a better deal.

I think I'm just gonna wait it out & be patient. I'll wait for another used one to come along.

Thanks for all your input guys.

9. Jun 7, 2012 at 7:41 AM
    cjcarner

cjcarner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 6MT DCSB
    Rhino Rack roof rack with an Inno fairing, Snugtop Rebel cap
    Not sure if you're still looking, but I think someone just posted a super white for a 6ft bed in the "other" section of buy/sell/trade! Idk where it is though.

To Top