1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shell vs. Exxon gas

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by vtragweed, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Jan 6, 2009 at 8:30 PM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    Shell is like $.20+/gallon more expensive than any other station around here, and I got shitty gas mileage with their gas in my old 4Runner. My buddy even owns the Shell station, and I won't fill up there.

I usually fill up at the local Conoco/Phillips stations.

2. Jan 6, 2009 at 8:50 PM
    crasch

crasch Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed. w/Super Charger
    Rugged Trail equipped, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, TRD Super Charger, Rock Sliders, NAV DVD Radio
    Tacoma vs Vibe, I would say the engineering.
    Actually chris4x4 is right. There is no real difference in the base gas. Each company may buy different levels of a similar octane. What makes the difference is the additives they add.

3. Jan 6, 2009 at 9:14 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB

I was told the same by the supplier that we purchased fuel from for a Developer that I worked for. The owner of the supplier (fuel company) said it was all relatively the same in quality. And if i remember correctly there were two main producers it was all coming from and both were of near equal quality. I doubt this guy would have tried blowing smoke being that he would lose 120k in business each month if this was the case and anyone found out. Albeit he was speaking in terms of diesel, he said this was essentially the same for the BASE gasoline.

4. Jan 6, 2009 at 9:22 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    I believe there are different regulations for diesel.

5. Jan 6, 2009 at 9:38 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    No, I wouldn't.

6. Jan 6, 2009 at 9:42 PM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    chevron only

7. Jan 6, 2009 at 9:44 PM
    Westdog976

Westdog976 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    4x4 SR5 TRD Sport S/B D/C Magnetic Gray
    MX black upper and lower girlles, debadged, limo tints, TRD CAI, flowmaster dual side exit cat-back, DRL mod, 33x12.5 Toyo Open Country M/T, 18x9 XD Monsters, 6" stage II pro comp lift, smoked LED tails and third brake light, mag gray eyelids, 5901 viper remote start alarm, one touch window modules, 10,000k bixenon hid headlights, 3,000k hid fogs, 4x4 switch LED mod, RBP nerf bars, weathertech floor liners, muth signal mirrors, avid light bar, kenwood excelon dnx9140 nav
    SHELL and why isn't this a poll?

8. Jan 6, 2009 at 9:51 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    True, but read the last few words.. He said the base gasolines were essentially all the same. There are however very different processes that are used to refine sweet crude and sour crude, as far as how they effect the gasoline as a final product....:confused::confused: I have no idea. This is just what the man told me.

9. Jan 6, 2009 at 10:29 PM
    Bearskill

Bearskill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    Unless im in the middle of nowhere and on fumes i ALWAYS use ether Shell or Chevron premium. My baby is worth it. My wife gets Mavrick gas for her car. I swear they cut that stuff with water or something.:rolleyes:

10. Jan 6, 2009 at 10:38 PM
    crasch

crasch Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Rugged Trail equipped, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, TRD Super Charger, Rock Sliders, NAV DVD Radio
    This is true and this is usually different refinery to refinery. Shell in one town can be a very different quality in another or even in a different part of the town. I remember in the early 90's a local TV news station, with the help of UCAN, did a test on the gas from different companies, they saw a difference in quality not based on the company but the refinery it came from. Most of the time, multiple gas companies refine their gas in the same refinery. Even then, especially in California, you can get different mix of gas based on where you buy the gas and different times of the year just because of CARB/EPA regulations. This is especially true on how much oxygenation they do for one part of town. I know in San Diego that there is more O2 in downtown gas then in there outline areas. (Yes its the same with the smog laws. Depending were you are located you may only need to smog your car once where in the city you're require to smog your car every two years).
    From then on, it was the additives that made it different from company to company.
    The only real way to really make sure you get the best gas in your area is to get samples and have a chemical analysis.

11. Jan 6, 2009 at 10:48 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    I've never even seen a Chevron station in PA.

I've only seen 2 Shell stations here too.

I normally get gas at BP.

12. Jan 6, 2009 at 11:09 PM
    crasch

crasch Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Documentation on Gas Quality. Please note that this document is kind of old so may not be completely accurate. For example, I know in all over California, gasoline is oxygenated though out winter and oxygenated all year long in the major cities. MTBE is no longer used in California gas since 2003.
    http://www.ethanolrfa.org/objects/pdf/AboutRFA/Gasoline.pdf

13. Jan 6, 2009 at 11:38 PM
    TRD4x4858

TRD4x4858 Taco Traitor!

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    95 Jeep XJ
    BONE STOCK! lol
    The cheapest thing I can find. I even run Tj gas and my truck runs the same

14. Jan 7, 2009 at 12:03 AM
    stevigee

stevigee It's a MOD, MOD World

Member:
    First Name:
    Stevigee
    Amarillo Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRAIL TEAMS FJ CRUISER
    TRADED FOR 2010 FJ CRUISER TRAIL TEAM Kenwood KDC x792 deck and SW1 pwr sub,cruise,intermittent wipers,hidden hitch, tint, debadge,Nitto Grapplers 265/75-16,Black Powder Coated Toyota Steelies, black steel Toyota wheel center caps, Vent Visors, front guard, leather seat covers, black front badge, shortie antenna, tow hook, seat maglite mod, shock & leaf spring TSB, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, custom black Fabwright rock sliders 1 3/4" DOM tubing w/ kickout, skid plate, Pop-A-Lock, Bilsten 5100 shocks, BLHM, Azela black tail lights, LEER topper w/rack, tent
    Had a friend that worked for a major supplier & he said the same thing. They just add differnt colors of dye & a tiny bit of blah, blah,blah and charge you more - gas is gas. Just buy from a larger supplier so you don't have to worry about getting old fuel. Station with faster turn over will have fresher fuel. Otherwise, don't pay extra - it's all smoke & mirrors...

15. Jan 7, 2009 at 1:34 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Exxon is not always Exxon gas. We have Flash foods chains here. They sell different brand gas at different stations(fuel comes from one supplier). I saw a generic tanker fill up one of the flash foods that was their own brand gas. And then go to one down the street, to a FF that is an Exxon station & fill its tanks.

Taken from Flash Foods website "Fuel South, supplies the petroleum to the c-stores"

16. Jan 7, 2009 at 3:26 AM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    Shell 93 is what I se 90% of the time.
    Shell is a top tier gas.
    I'd use Chevron(also top tier) but there aren't any Chevrons in NJ or maybe the all of the northeast.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

17. Jan 7, 2009 at 6:59 AM
    JimmyCrackCorn

JimmyCrackCorn Atlanta Falcons

Member:
    Cumming, GA (N. Atlanta Area)
    Vehicle:
    2008 Black PreRunner TRD Sport
    Aero Kit, 3" Lift, 18% All Around Tint, 50% Windshield Tint, MO 957's (Polished), 285/65/18 Terra Grappler's
    Anything but Exxon/Mobile or Citgo.

Exxon: Because of the Valdez oil spill which occurred in Prince William Sound, Alaska, on March 24, 1989. (They may have done a lot for the environment since then, but I just can't get over it!)

Citgo: Citgo is Venezuela’s petroleum producer. Venezuela is currently run by Hugo Chavez, would be communist dictator who funds terrorism. (I'd sooner support the Saudis!)

I like Chervon, Shell, and QuikTrip. I have all three close to my house, and all three stay very very busy...so the gas is always "fresh".

18. Jan 7, 2009 at 7:08 AM
    KMN-BLU

KMN-BLU less work/more play

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    My 96 taco gets gas from whichever station I am closest to when it needs gas.

The 09 taco and my 05 NSX have only received CHEVRON.

Who knows if all the propaganda is accurate or not but I would rather try to ride on the side of caution since I have well over $120k tied up between these 2 vehicles alone.

19. Jan 7, 2009 at 7:56 AM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    I will run chevron if it is within .10$ of the rest of the gas, next would be shell. I have ran the mexican gas (valero) it runs ok but I put chevron back in after. I swap between 91 and 87.

20. Jan 7, 2009 at 8:03 AM
    KMN-BLU

KMN-BLU less work/more play

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    Question: Maybe I just think illogically but here goes. If it really does give you better preformance/milage to say buy gas at a top teir location, Then does saving 10 cents a gallon at a cut rate brand really equate. I mean if you are saving 10 cents a gallon and buying 20 gallons you actually saved $2 per fillup. Would not the better perfomance/mileage/cleaner engine not be worth that extra $2.

I guess this logic only works if that top tier gas really works better.

Products Discussed in

To Top