1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shifting the 6spd manual quickly

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Accel Junky, Oct 19, 2010.

?

Is the 1-2 full throttle upshift jerky with the manual trans?

Poll closed Nov 18, 2010.
  1. Yes, it's hard to upshift 1-2 during hard acceleration

43 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. No, you need to adjust your technique.

55 vote(s)
    56.1%
  1. Oct 20, 2010 at 4:18 PM
    JanBoothius

JanBoothius Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jan (Pronounced Yon)
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR DCSB 6 speed
    Heavy stuff big tires drives like hell
    I think that all manual transmissions have a different feel; my previous car, a Subaru, was one of the hardest manuals I have ever driven, far harder than the Taco (or my parents Saab, for that matter).
    The Taco certainly is a little slower to shift, but once you get the hang of it, it is still lots of fun! I have been having too much fun racing with the rampant Ricers here in SLC, "chirping" 2nd very easily (not hard, with the almost weightless rear end).

I have heard (posts on TW) that the short throw shifter can cause problems... so I have stayed away from it.

2. Oct 22, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    squamish VFR

squamish VFR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Squamish B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    '06 tacoma 4door shortbox
    Bilsteins set at 2.5" OME Dakar rear leaf packs, FJ manual TC conversion, basket winch front and rear, hidden hitch in the front behind licence plate. Spyder headlights, tailgate seals.
    OK I'd like to put my $0.02 in on this one for sure. Shifting is the very first thing i noticed when I bought this truck. So for all who have the six speed consider this:

I think that the engine de-celeration ramp time is too long. Drive around, slip the clutch in and stab the throttle. See how long it takes for the engine to return to idle? I think it's about a full second too long. You need to drive it like a truck because you are waiting for the engine to slow down for a smooth release of the clutch. I even double clutch to pass the time. I've also noted very little hold back on this truck that is likley related as well.

I brought it up all the way to Toyota Canada and I was told all the way along that this profile "reduces oxides of nitrogen". It's an emmissions thing... .... ... Now I admit that I'm not an emmisions expert but I've been a pro mechanic for +20 years, and I call B.S. The other manufacturers don't need to loft the throttle for this purpose, and wouldn't such a thing increase HC? I think that 95% of the Tacomas were produced with Auto transmissions for which this profile would work. Of the remaining 5% only half would even notice, of that 2.5% maybe half again would actually complain about it, then give them that B.S. emissions story that the marketing guys came up with as the offical statement in case anyone asks.

The standard trucks are running around with the auto trans computer profile because they didn't bother to spend the time to write a different program to optomize for the few standards that they built. That's what I think.

I contacted an aftermarket computer re-programmer/power chip co.(can't remember the name) the guy told me he knew exactly the problem I was trying to solve but they hadn't even tried to crack the software and explained to me how hard it was to do it on any Toyota.

Drive around the Auto trucks and see how nice they drive and then tell me I'm wrong!

but maybe it's just me...

3. Oct 22, 2010 at 1:50 PM
    Blue07Taco

Blue07Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    Its blue
    TRD intake/ exhaust
    When I first got my 05, I couldn't shift it that fast because I was used to my 04 Cobra. After driving it for awhile, I could launch it in first and bark the tires real hard going to second after driving for a few months with 265/75/16LT. Just takes time.

4. Oct 22, 2010 at 2:16 PM
    jrws6

jrws6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07, Dodge Ram 35004x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel 6M
    X2

Sopposedly the rpm's hang up and are slow to drop is bc these trucks do not have an EGR valve. By keeping the rpms higher (between shifts, and when idling to a stop), at 1000-1600 instead og dropping to idle this burns any unspent fuel out the exhaust.
    The Computer Controlled Throttle on the 6M SUCKS!!!!!!

5. Oct 22, 2010 at 2:18 PM
    jrws6

jrws6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:

ALL trucks dont shift like this! It is not bc it is a truck it is because of Toyota's shitty CCT, and the horrible delay it has!

6. Oct 22, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    jrws6

jrws6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    It is not you it is how toyota designed the truck..... everything from emissions, to torque management, to warratnies comes into play. The 6M trucks are grossly shortchanged bc of all this. Mostly Toyota's fault for not fixing it after 5 years of unhappy manual tranny owners complaining! I think they are trying to make everyone so unhappy with the maunal trannys that it forces them to buy auto's. the 6M's get horrible gas mileage compared to the auto, there in no excuse to be turning 2500rpms at 70mph in a truck with 266 lb-ft of torque! that why we all average 16mpg.... like someone said earlier push in the clutch or shift into neutral when sometime and watch it idle at 1100-1300 rpm's... absurd!
    URD SS helps some but not a cure all. well worth the money if you are a spirited driver.
    Sorry rant off.

7. Oct 22, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!
    If you want it to shift like a sports car, use APR's kit and put in a T56.

8. Oct 22, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon

Is that bad for the transmission??

9. Oct 22, 2010 at 6:37 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    I'm quite sure it is!

10. Oct 23, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    Priddle

Priddle And now for something completely different....

Member:
    St. John's, NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    Current: Pelfreybilt front and rear bumpers, winch, icon front coils/shocks, Icon rear shocks, Dakar leafs, Camberg UCAs, Pumpkin Android stereo, custom sub box w/ 2x10" RF subs and Kicker amp, short shifter kit, Fuel Beast 18" wheels w/ 1mm offset, BFG AT2 285/65/18
    This has been a very enlightening thread...especially the last few posts. I'm somewhat disappointed now but not much I can do about it. Having said that, going to a bigger tire has helped with the short 1st gear. It feels somewhat normal now.

I too see how the engine doesn't return to idle quickly. First time I ever came across that in a vehicle. It's annoying when shifting but I think now after driving this truck for 2 months I have worked around it

11. Oct 23, 2010 at 9:04 AM
    TacohaulicJ

TacohaulicJ Outside outside the box

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    South Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Fresh PreRunner SR5
    TRD CAI, Magnaflow muffler system w/ Black chrome tip, Black chrome accents, URD MAF Calibrator, Smoked out Taillights Mod, Fire engine red painted calipers
    Try adding Some royal purple manual tranny fluid .. personal experience leads me to believe it will improve the lubricity and your the smoothness of your shifting.

12. Oct 23, 2010 at 9:13 AM
    lasllc

lasllc Wait. . what’s wrong here

Member:
    Southwest RedRocks
    Vehicle:
    13 SuperWhite DCSB Sport TRD
    SnugTop Super Sport, BedRug mat, Redline Tuning hood lifts, LED interior lights, 3D carpet protectors.
    it a TRUCK for heavens sake.
    But the short throw is a no-brainer; X alot.

13. Oct 24, 2010 at 12:13 AM
    DionysiosA76

DionysiosA76 Captain Analyzer

Member:
    First Name:
    Dionysios
    Barrington, IL
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco Sport DC 6 spd-SOLD FOR CUMMINS
    Totally custom straight pipe exhaust sourced from an 01 Cummins (fabbed up by yours truly), ScanGaugeII, Westin Bull Bars, air horns, Truxedo tunneau, Black decals, Black rotors, black calipers, Secondary Air filter removal, reengineered dirtbike hauler, auxillary back up lights, blacked out tail lights, socked by Sockmonkey, blacked out hi-stop, TRD stickers (+300hp :) Owens Running Boards, Greek flag shifter, Garmin Nuvi 755w GPS, Cobra 25ltd CB with a 4' fiberglass whip... and never paid anyone nuttin to do it.
    I'm 17 and almost all the trucks i drive can be shifted without the clutch. All over the road haulers do it. Occasionally I only start from a stop with the clutch, the rest are on the fly, its A LOT easier to do with a diesel though.

14. Oct 24, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    aaronk

aaronk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Dbl Cab V6 TRD
    Rant away, you're right on in your assessment. I hated my 6spd so much I traded it for an auto. Prior to getting a 2nd gen I had a 94 Toyota Pickup with a 5spd and it shifted very smooth, much smoother than my brand spanking new 6spd.

15. Oct 24, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Yep, I went through that complaint process too and got fed the same load of bull.

On the rare occasion I let someone else drive my Tacoma who can drive a manual but isn't used to the Tacoma, they almost always have a WTF reaction.

I have a friend who just drove my Tacoma a couple weeks ago who put it quite well with, "The engineers at Toyota must have been out of their minds when they did this."

16. Oct 24, 2010 at 10:06 AM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    Exactly. Don't give Toyota's poor design the excuse of "it's because it's a truck". That's bull. I've driven lots of other manual transmission trucks. This is the only one that's like this.

And in my opinion, the problem isn't just the lag in RPM drop when the accelerator is released. I also really hate the response delay (or lack of response at all) when you tap the throttle. It can make it hard to have a smooth start.

It's like you're not really controlling your engine speed. You're telling a little retarded electronic friend what you want him to do with the throttle through the accelerator, then he decides when and how to carry out that order. It can be extremely frustrating.

When it's time for a new truck, I'll test drive another Tacoma. If they haven't cleared up this crap then, I'll look at something else I guess.

17. Oct 24, 2010 at 10:28 AM
    jrws6

jrws6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    PA452,,, How ya been, Long time no see.

Last time we chatted was on the CCT issue, that we hate so much.
    I was hoping you would chime in on this. And of course I agree with you. It really tics me off when other people make excuses for toyota's shortcomings by saying "it's a truck" Just because it is a truck doesnt mean it is slow, or shifts poorly. Some pretty fast vehicle are trucks and no one makes excuses for them. SRT10, Dodge Ram Cummins, Duramax, Syclones and Typhoons, and I have a SBC 406 S10 with a 5 speed manual tranny that is anything but slow.

Anyways I agree about your 1st gen comments 110%, My six speed tacoma is now for sale, and I will be moving on to another vehicle. If I hadnt had 2 new tacomas in the last three years I would get an auto tacoma just like my manual, but time for something different. My GF 2006 T4R is a pleasure to drive silky smooth auto trans with 85k on the clock. If my tacoma was even in the same ball park as that I would keep it no questions.

18. Oct 24, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Off-Road MGM
    Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Level 8 Tracker wheels, white lithium grease mod for creaky clutch pedal
    I know what you mean. Some time when your truck is stopped and in neutral, give the gas a quick tap. The delay is atrocious. This along with all the throwout bearing hell stories make me wish that I'd bought the auto. I'd trade for the auto, but I'm sure they'd gouge me, so I've been getting used to the 6spd.

19. Oct 24, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    jrws6

jrws6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    x2

I wish I would have logged more test miles on mine before purchasing. All in all I kinda liked my 2008 4x4 4cylinder 5speed Access Cab a little better. It was computer controlled too but was much more tolerable.

20. Oct 24, 2010 at 10:52 AM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    Not bad, haven't been on the Tacoma forums a whole lot though. I have had a couple threads going about a steering issue I'm having though. That's been going on for almost 2.5 months now.

Products Discussed in

To Top