1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shifting the 6spd manual quickly

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Accel Junky, Oct 19, 2010.

?

Is the 1-2 full throttle upshift jerky with the manual trans?

Poll closed Nov 18, 2010.
  1. Yes, it's hard to upshift 1-2 during hard acceleration

43 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. No, you need to adjust your technique.

55 vote(s)
    56.1%
  1. Oct 24, 2010 at 10:56 AM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    I frequently wish the same thing. I did test drive a 4cyl 5spd before I bought my truck, but compared to the V6 is felt too underpowered.

I think when I first bought my Tacoma, the realities of this throttle thing weren't getting through. I thought it was just me and I had to get used to it. But I was coming back with complaints within a week or two.

My first major complaint though was how if you let the truck slow down too much in gear, the computer would automatically increase the throttle without you ever touching the pedal. That kind of scared me a couple times when coming up on stopped traffic at a light. I took it back and complained. The tech test drove it, acknowledged it happening and said he didn't like it, but he said they all do that. I went up the ladder with complaints. I had a reporter contact me through this site (or maybe ToyotaNation.com) about it. They were gathering info because apparently it had led to a few wrecks.

2. Oct 24, 2010 at 3:48 PM
    Black Sheep

Black Sheep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Dbl Cab TRD T/X Pro
    6" Pro Comp Suspension lift with Pro Comp leveling kit, Bilstein 5100's, Full leather interior with seat heaters, Go Rhino step bars, Sony XNV-770BT Head Unit with NAV, DVD, XM and Blutooth, Tonopro toneau cover, Tinted windows, Black mesh grille, Projector headlights with HID lows, HID fogs, Crystal Eyes rear LED taillights, Weathertech mats front and rear
    I am reading all of this and don't really like what I hear. I have my 2011 Tacoma TX Pro ordered with the 6spd because I like to do the shifting. My 03 Vette is a 6spd and I love it. But, from what everyone is saying here, I should spend the extra $880 and get the auto. I don't want to be dissapointed with a brand new vehicle and be stuck wtih it. I really like a MT. I think that it can be controlled better in the snow. I am going to have to really think about this. I might have to go and drive the 6spd more to make sure if I like it or not.

3. Oct 25, 2010 at 3:03 PM
    squamish VFR

squamish VFR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Squamish B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    '06 tacoma 4door shortbox
    Bilsteins set at 2.5" OME Dakar rear leaf packs, FJ manual TC conversion, basket winch front and rear, hidden hitch in the front behind licence plate. Spyder headlights, tailgate seals.
    Please please please report back with your observations. Meanwhile there's a big opportunity for a company to provide a re-flash for these ECU's. I'd throw down $$ tomorrow to fix this up, not looking for gobs of power, just fix what doesn't work and make it drive smooth.

4. Oct 26, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    kauaibuilt

kauaibuilt U no kea but AINOFEA!

Member:
    LA/SGV
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    Check out my sig...
    http://www.newsprintbooster.com/?gclid=CMK_4rGR8aQCFQUmbAodUjpS2Q

5. Nov 1, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    jrws6

jrws6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07, Dodge Ram 35004x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel 6M
    Yes.

6. Nov 1, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
  7. Nov 1, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    fjrmurph

fjrmurph Well-Known Member

Member:
    This looks like it might solve a lot of problems, i've been driving manual trans for 30+ years as well as a few years driving tractor trailer. I've done a lot of shifting and i'm struggling with my 2010. Does anyone have this Sprint Booster. Its a bit pricy but if it works i'd be interested

8. Nov 1, 2010 at 11:53 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    1st gear is a low gear. 2nd gear is where you want to put the pedal down, at least in the 5 speeds.

shifting without a clutch is fun, until you miss a shift. oooops. i'll stick with a clutch use.

i don't get why people are so into racing these trucks. they are big friggen boats and they corner for shit. talk about tight on entry.

9. Nov 2, 2010 at 2:33 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Ive not driven the 03 vette, but the t56 in the c6 is a rough one to shift. Its slightly nicer than the GTO/monaro version due to the carbon syncros i guess.

Thing comes down to the aisin ay6 is a fairly beefy transmission. Big gears take time to sync. . Furthermore the ratio between first and 2nd is a big jump. It takes some time to overcome the inertia. You can't just sync a transmission instantaneously.

Sounds like you just don't like/think you don't like, driving trucks. This shifts very similar (albeit with different ratios) to my t56 transmissions pre kit. I had assumed that the camaro had the t56 in it when I drove it due to its similar shifting to the corvette/gto. You can't just slam it without consequences. Notch it out, clutch, notch it in. Its not a getrag super shifting compact race transmission. Its for torque.

but yea... obviously test drive it. If you don't like it, get the frontier.. Stay away from automatics. Especially these buggy things.

10. Nov 9, 2010 at 10:17 PM
    kram

kram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Squamish, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad Access Cab 6spd MGM
    URD Short Shifter TSB Leaf Pack, Bilstein 5100s front (1.75") and rear. 285/70/17 Duratrac on Rhino Sidewinders. Weathertech Digifit Floormats
    I love my 6 speed after putting the URD SS in it. I drive it like my car and shift at high RPM a lot of the time. It takes a few shifts to get used to it when swtiching back and forth from my TSX which is quite different and velvety smooth. But I've got it pretty dialed now and get it fast and smooth pretty much all the time.

Products Discussed in

To Top