1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shifting your Automatic Tranny? 2nd Gen.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ewa2fl, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Jan 24, 2012 at 10:50 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I've never thought of it this way , but , it makes sense

2. Jan 24, 2012 at 10:52 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    :p

3. Jan 24, 2012 at 11:06 PM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Well it can't be good for the trans. I have no need to shift it manually so I don't.

4. Jan 24, 2012 at 11:18 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    BINGO.

I'll give you one everyday example for me ... My street has a 6% grade so everytime I pull out of the drive, I drop it into 2nd, and it maintains a steady 25mph down the hill .. no brakes required. If I kept it in D, I'd be riding brakes all the way down. Also on the big mountain passes, I'll drop it into 4th on the way up to keep the tranny from hunting.

5. Jan 24, 2012 at 11:32 PM
    hamsterhater

hamsterhater Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island
    Vehicle:
    11' dc mag grey taco
    level kit- exhaust -cai n-fab light bar-4 piaa 6"new hood w/scoop
    i down shift hard to not have a cop see me hit my brakes when hes doing radar. maybe i've just been lucky but it seems to work:eek:

6. Jan 24, 2012 at 11:44 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Can't hurt it

7. Jan 25, 2012 at 3:11 AM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    I'll occasionally pop it in to the next lower gear when going down hill, to help stay close to the speed limit. Otherwise I just leave it in D. Some members complain about lack of control with an automatic, but I don't know what they're talking about. One pedal makes it go, the other pedal makes it stop. Where's the lack of control?

8. Jan 25, 2012 at 4:10 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    If they have you on radar tapping your brake lights is a bit of "too little too late" ... just my opinion :cool:.

9. Jan 25, 2012 at 5:40 AM
    RightYouAreKen

RightYouAreKen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    I live on a plateau and go down a half mile steep hill every day at least once. I drop it to 3 so I can maintain 45 mph without riding the brakes all the way down the hill. When driving in snow/ice I also use lower gears to keep the speed in check and the engine in the power band.

10. Jan 25, 2012 at 6:07 AM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    On some hills, if the speed is slow and I can feel it bogging down and the hill goes on for a bit, I know as I get on the gas more it'll finally kick down on it's own. But sometimes I'll just bump it to 4th myself and the transition is much smoother than waiting on it to happen automatically. But that's it. I stay in D the rest of the time unless road conditions require otherwise.

As for you engine brakers and tailgating, if you don't tap your brakes, you're a fool. I can be at a safe distance and not notice you slowing to turn if those lights don't light up. Think of the point of brake lights - it's to alert people that you're slowing/stopping. I have a 5-spd car and if someone is behind me, I make sure to flash the brake lights. But then, if I'm gearing down that hard, I'm on the brakes anyway. Pads are cheaper than drive trains, IMO. But if you think stopping w/o using the brakes makes you cool, tell em not to bother with replacement brake lights when someone does rear end you.

11. Jan 25, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    Engine braking is very gradual. It's not like you come screeching to a halt. Anyone who is paying attention will have more then enough time to stop.

Products Discussed in

To Top