1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shims with wheelers 3 leaf?

Discussion in 'Wheeler's Off-Road' started by 2k4Taco, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Dec 7, 2012 at 2:40 PM
    2k4Taco

2k4Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Swanny
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    04 DC TRD Prerunner
    265/75/16 Falken Wild Peaks, 5100/5125 Billys,ToyTec/Eibach Coils, Wheelers 3 Leaf, ToyTec U Bolt Flip, TopGunzCustoms 1.5in Lift Shackles, Deckplate, Tint, Jeraco Topper.
    Hey guys I've been searching with no joy trying to find out if I will need shims to adjust my drive shaft angle. I was planning on keeping the overload leaf in. It's an 04 Dc prerunner. Thanks guys!

2. Dec 12, 2012 at 10:37 AM
    neonlazer

neonlazer Mechanically Goofy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeffrey
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB 4x4 SR5
    Probably could use an answer to this one too.(5100's installed...same 3 leaf going in this weekend)

3. Dec 12, 2012 at 10:44 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    '07 FJ
    Do you have vibrations or axle wrap? The key is not to react before the action. Install the Wheeler's pack. If you have symptoms then determine what is needed to correct the issue.

4. Dec 13, 2012 at 4:46 AM
    2k4Taco

2k4Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Swanny
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    04 DC TRD Prerunner
    265/75/16 Falken Wild Peaks, 5100/5125 Billys,ToyTec/Eibach Coils, Wheelers 3 Leaf, ToyTec U Bolt Flip, TopGunzCustoms 1.5in Lift Shackles, Deckplate, Tint, Jeraco Topper.
    Installed the AAL with no shims. I got no vibrations and the truck rides so much better. Thanks guys!

5. Jul 3, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    TRD S/C, TS PNP AEM FIC, TS 625cc injectors, TS 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    I'm on the fence between keeping the overload or not. I want the ride to smooth out, but I'm thinking with the ~1.5" of travel I already have before the overload shows it's ugly head, the plus the ~1.5 the three leaf AAL gives me, giving me about ~3" of travel before engaging the overload, that maybe I can leave the overload on.

As of right now, the overload seems to be giving me an extreme progressive spring rate feeling. Minor distortions/bumps are fine, but anything larger and the rear end gets very stiff and rebounds with a vengence. If it will still do that with the AAL, then its gotta go. Curious on before and after opinions from those who have the AAL and a) what the ride was like stock, b) kept the overload and C) did not keep the overload.

6. Jan 7, 2014 at 10:54 PM
    IanN

IanN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Medford, OR
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    TRD exhaust
    I know this is old but in case anyone is looking for guidance on whether or not to keep the overload I was told by wheelers to take it out completely when I install my 3leaf progressive heavy duty AAL

7. Jan 10, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    TRD S/C, TS PNP AEM FIC, TS 625cc injectors, TS 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    I gained an opinion from this site that they recommend removing the overload, but more so smiply for ride comfort, and its not uncommon for people to keep the overload simply to have just that bit more right hight as the overload is acting like a spacer mostly. Maybe they told you that as your not buying the 'regular' 3 leaf progressive, but the Heavy Duty.

With the OP's review in post #4, I'm inclided to keep the overload. Once in a very rare while I haul and it would suck to have a reduced capacity. Recently I hauled a 5vz with tranny and was nearly bottomed out (hit the bump stops about two times), and then hauled a bunch of marble, again getting some healthy sag. If the AALs help the ride quaity out when empty with the overload on, I'm game. If wheeler's states specifically that ride quality significantly suffers with retaining the overload, then I'll be very tempted to remove it and live with the reduced capacity.

8. Jan 13, 2014 at 11:03 AM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Hey Ian, You get your kit installed?

9. Feb 25, 2014 at 6:19 PM
    TacoBrah

TacoBrah Stalker

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Icon stage 1, Wheelers 3 leaf HD, LR UCA, 265/75/16 BFG KO
    I took my overload out and put in a 3 leaf HD and it handles 500lbs in the bed no problem at all.

To Top