1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shitty cubbys in the bed!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2xtreme4u, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Jan 5, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    jeremiekc

jeremiekc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab Base Model
    Secondary Air Filter removed, Painted Brake Calipers, AFN Drop in air cleaner, OEM Chrome Bumper, OEM Chrome grilll, OEM Cruise Control, OEM Interval Wipers, Hard Wired Garmin Nuvi 670, X-Runner Rims, Devil Horns, 6000w HID's, Bling Light Fogs with Blue Halo, OEM Bilstein Rear Shocks, 12V Plug in Truck Bed pocket. Debagged, 13" Antennax, Color Matched Satoshi Grill, URD Short Shifter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, PainLess Wiring Switched Fuse Box, Black Sand Pearl X-Runner Badges
    I put a 12volt plug in each one so that I can plug in my cooler when I am traveling. I also am thinking about installing an air compressor and tank so this is where I am going to put the air fitting. I am also going to install a 2000w inverter so this is where I am going to wire in some 110v plugs along with one in the cab. You just have to use your imagination.

2. Jan 6, 2010 at 6:28 AM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    get some shelf liner material and some containers, place gloves ,wire , small tools etc in them and fit em snug . Then forget about the boxes , they are a just a distraction for buyers who are gimmick oriented.
    Consider the 400w inverter thats too small for any real loads ...gimmick, overhead compasss WOW COOL!!......gimmick (none in a reg cab btw) .
    Maybe 2011s will come with a " Happy wand " placed on the seat to distract buyers further, wave it as needed.

3. Jan 6, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    AZCOMA

AZCOMA where can't I go?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kacey
    Laveen
    Vehicle:
    05 Preunner sr5
    2.5 saw co's, n-fab bed cage rear tire mount,new head unit and 10"sub,285/75/16 nittos on M/T wheels,H.I.D.'s...The next mod is T.C. long travle kit,Deavers and glass all the way around.
    I sit my beer in there to keep it out of the sun. lol

4. Jan 6, 2010 at 11:23 AM
    SportyTuRD

SportyTuRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    How are you supposed to reach it front the front seats???

5. Jan 6, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    I didn't have time to read all of the posts, so I don't know if it has been answered yet but I'll give it a shot.
    I asked the sells manager this question, I asked why they had the two holes or two cubbyholes in these locations and why they didn't put a cover or door on them?
    He said that he also asked the same question, he asked one of the designers/engineers of the truck at the assembly plant up in northern California.
    He said they put the cubbyholes in because at the time, they couldn't come up with a way of lifting the whole bed up, and putting it down onto the frame on the assembly line. So they put these holes in so the machine could lift it up.

So I'm not sure if they couldn't figure it out because they didn't have the right machine so they had to use an existing machine? Or this is the way they had to do it or so the truck would assemble faster or what?

I don't remember the exact reason what the sells manager told me of why they put the cubbyholes in, but this is the gist of it.

I think they still have a use, I'm thinking of putting a small PA speaker in one of them to use with my CB radio.

I hope this answers your question for why they put them in. :)

6. Apr 26, 2010 at 7:48 AM
    Evans381

Evans381 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Rome, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Toytec ultimate coilovers. 5% Window tint. 40% windshield. Kenwood DDX372BT Monitor. JL Audio 12w0v3 subwoofer set in ported Q-Bomb box. 20" Gear Alloy Recoil wheels wrapped in Cooper Zeon LTZ tires
    Anyone know the best way to keep the latched ones from falling out?? Really annoying

7. Apr 26, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    my shitty cubby hole

[​IMG]

8. Apr 26, 2010 at 10:27 AM
    jeremiekc

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    Secondary Air Filter removed, Painted Brake Calipers, AFN Drop in air cleaner, OEM Chrome Bumper, OEM Chrome grilll, OEM Cruise Control, OEM Interval Wipers, Hard Wired Garmin Nuvi 670, X-Runner Rims, Devil Horns, 6000w HID's, Bling Light Fogs with Blue Halo, OEM Bilstein Rear Shocks, 12V Plug in Truck Bed pocket. Debagged, 13" Antennax, Color Matched Satoshi Grill, URD Short Shifter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, PainLess Wiring Switched Fuse Box, Black Sand Pearl X-Runner Badges
    I put a 12v plug into each of the small holes. I am planning on installing a 2000w power inverter, once I do I will put a 120 plug into each one and one in the cab. I use it for my cooler now. The ones with the lids I store my tie down straps in one side and my detailer and towels in the other side.

9. Apr 26, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    i find they're quite good at holding small amounts of gravel, mulch, top soil, bark from fire wood or whatever else you've been hauling around

10. Apr 27, 2010 at 4:40 AM
    kris77

kris77 Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17

Yours dont have drain holes in them?

I put rags in one a few months ago and then went wheeling and crossed a creek and when i got home my rags were soaked.

Either they arent waterproof or there is drain holes. I dont remember. I think there were drain holes in them.

11. Apr 27, 2010 at 4:50 AM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    Once I get around to it, I plan on having speakers in each cubby to flip on when I want them, such as camping or drive ins.

12. Apr 27, 2010 at 5:01 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    I use mine a lot. It's perfect for my electric hedge trimmer. I have an obnoxiously steep, long driveway, and being able to get electricity to the hedge trimmer far from the house has been very useful to me.

Best idea I've seen for the cubby yet.

Rep for the research. Very interesting.

Awesome.

13. Apr 27, 2010 at 5:05 AM
    MurphyZ

MurphyZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    89 SAS 3.4 1st gen 4runner- Sold 3.4 swap cut hood for clearance exhaust x-over and magnaflow muffler lockright in the rear SAS 83 toy axle (Wab-Fab) 4xinnovations sliders roof rack from 2nd gen for kayak.
    no the ones he is talking about are teh resessed ones. the "second bed" are on the wheel wells and have an indetation for a 1x6 i believe and another one closer to the tail gate. you throw down a piece of ply over that and bam a smooth bed for stuff that wont fit between the wheel wells. works ok
    no way, that is just asking for trouble.

shitty chubbys hahahahaha:p:p:p:p;):)

14. Apr 27, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    jeremiekc

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    They have them but I put black duct tape over the holes so that water would stay out. It works pretty good.

15. Apr 27, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    Oregon TRD

Oregon TRD "GO DUCKS" Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Steel Panthers bathroom floor!
    Vehicle:
    2005 Mall Krawler
    6" Fabtech Lift, 35" Fierce M/T 17" Eagle Alloy Sim bead locks Naked girls in the bed 10.1" DVD head unit Two 7" Headrest Monitors PS2 in glove box
    I'm puttin these waterproof marine speaks in my cubbys. We chill in the bed of my truck all summer.

[​IMG]

16. May 12, 2010 at 10:32 AM
    Oregon TRD

Oregon TRD "GO DUCKS" Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Steel Panthers bathroom floor!
    Vehicle:
    2005 Mall Krawler
    6" Fabtech Lift, 35" Fierce M/T 17" Eagle Alloy Sim bead locks Naked girls in the bed 10.1" DVD head unit Two 7" Headrest Monitors PS2 in glove box
    love this idea.....i want more pics n info on this mod!

17. May 12, 2010 at 2:49 PM
    Creemore

Creemore Well-Known Member

Member:
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic grey TRD Sport/leather pkg.
    I don't know how easily it could be popped out. I bought one as a result of this thread and put it in last week. A nice design feature is that the locking lid also covers the bolts. I think it would take a fairly determined effort to get it out, seems to me.

18. May 12, 2010 at 4:34 PM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    Which ones did you replace? On the stock bed the boxes with latching (but not locking) covers near the tailgate bolt in, but the little pockets over the wheelwells can be popped out by sticking a flat screwdriver under the upper edge and prying against the tiedown rails, which takes somewhere around 3-5 pounds of force with a 8" screwdriver.

19. May 12, 2010 at 4:35 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    You could turn them into bed light holders...

20. May 13, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    Creemore

Creemore Well-Known Member

Member:
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic grey TRD Sport/leather pkg.
    Ah, no. I didn't replace the little one, just the large latching compartment on the left side nearest the tailgate. Sorry for the confusion. I bought the unit that was suggested at the beginning of this thread. Folks thought it was kind of spendy, but it seems like a nice quality piece and pretty darn secure.

Products Discussed in

To Top