1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shock & Lift Advice

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by clarsen123, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Nov 5, 2008 at 10:50 AM
    clarsen123

clarsen123 [OP] New Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    99 Prerunner
    bed liner, nerf bars, stereo
    After 160K miles, my ride is getting dangerously mushy. I figure I'd lift it a bit since I need to replace the shocks. I currently have the original TRD Bilsteins. If I go with a new set of shocks and a lift (I don't want new wheels), what would you do? I'm looking at the Toytec kits, based on this forum.

2. Nov 5, 2008 at 11:01 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Just depends on what you plan to do with the lift, how much you want to spend, how high you want to go, etc...

3. Nov 5, 2008 at 3:24 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    check out the pics in my gallery. i have done sort of a lift...new coils/ new shocks on all 4 corners and new rear leaf springs. it all gave me a bit of lift, but my ride is far superior to stock now. all my suspension was completely worn out, so i replaced everything and its great now. if you wanna know what all i did, just let me know.

4. Nov 5, 2008 at 7:28 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    Im kinda running into the same problem my truck is about to hit 160K miles and the ridies getting a little rough but since im right in the middle of college I cant really afford to upgrade to a newer truck nor do I really want to but I would like to do something about my ride.

Will Ive been looking at what u did and I think that is the direction I want to go I dont want a lift cause I want to keep the same tires and wheels but I would like a better ride so if you wouldnt mind to post a list of what all you did and the prices and stuff I would greatly apprcaite it

5. Nov 5, 2008 at 7:37 PM
    deadbolt

deadbolt do w3rk!

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab 6spd 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Black Headlights, HIDs, Tinted Fogs, Powdercoated Black Wheels, 5100s @ 2.5", Diff drop, AFE Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Intake, Black Emblems/Grille, LED Tail lights, 265/75/16s Good Year Duratracs
    In his sig, it says he did the billy 5100s all around. If you replaced with the 5100s, your ride quality would improve a lot.

6. Nov 5, 2008 at 8:38 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    here is what i did........

wheelers 5 pack rear leafs
    wheelers u-bolt set...and i should have gotten the main eye bolt set too...i'd recommend it for sure
    ome 881 coils for the front
    bilstein 5100's on all 4 corners

i got the coils and rear leafs from wheelersoffroad.com
    i got the 5100's from downsouthmotorsports on ebay.

this stuff greatly improved my ride, as well as giving a tad bit of lift...and i still am running stock size wheels. the rest of the stuff i got was energy suspension rear spring bushings( i didnt know at the time......but the wheelers leafs come with them already), i got energy suspension sway bar bushings(not mushy in corners now) and i got goodridge g-stop braided stainless brake lines from wheelers also.

my shocks were about $300 for the set, and check here for wheelers prices....... as i dont remember exactly what i paid. i think it was around $750 or so from what i got from wheelers. all my suspension was shot, and its better than new now!!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Nov 8, 2008 at 4:08 PM
    TRD4x4858

TRD4x4858 Taco Traitor!

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    95 Jeep XJ
    BONE STOCK! lol
    You could always find a set of used low mileage trd coil assemblies from someone who put aftermarket coilovers on there truck. I see them on craigslist all the time for like under 100, i sold my stock coil assemblies for 50 with 30k on them

8. Nov 8, 2008 at 7:37 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    this is true.......as i have my set of trd offroad coils from my 04 double cab in our buy/sale/trade forum for $40 plus shipping........and they only have 46k miles on them.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/bu...stock-trd-double-cab-4x4-coils-04-tacoma.html

9. Nov 10, 2008 at 2:47 PM
    colermidoler99

colermidoler99 Member

Member:
    washington
    Vehicle:
    99 std cab taco
    LIFT TIRES STERIO SYSTEM EXHAUST

definately go revtek.. it rides super smooth on the road and provides a pretty smooth ride offroad

Products Discussed in

To Top