1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shock top out technical question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by pAP, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Mar 31, 2011 at 6:06 AM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    ARB locker and OBA, All Pro front & rear bumper, All Pro IFS skid & modified t-case skid, Custom Trans Skid., 4x Innovations sliders, Custom tire carrier/bed bars, Warn Winch, Fox 2.5" Front coilover, Walker Evans 2.5" rear Shock, All pro Leaf, All Pro U-bolt flip, Baja Designs lights, PIA 510 lights, TRD exhaust cut back, Doug Thorley Pipe Bomb
    When going over a drop or pothole, what prevents the shock from topping out? I know some UCA’s have a limit to them preventing the shock from reaching its full extension. In a case where the UCA’s don’t limit the shocks full extension, is it common for a shock to top out? There’s nothing worse than hearing top out….where the piston slaps the end of the shock body:eek:. Other than limiting straps, more travel, and less articulating UCA’s, is there some characteristic (dampening, bushing, etc.) that should be present in the shock to prevent the top out slap?

Thanks
    Pap

2. Mar 31, 2011 at 9:29 AM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    I doubt it. High end shocks do not have them and lower end shocks are not made to leave the ground. Its hard on the shock no matter what you put in there and you cant just bind up your control arms. Thats why a limit strap is usually the best solution

3. Mar 31, 2011 at 10:11 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    For the rear shocks on my jeep.... I've used Doetsch Tech Prerunner shocks. They have a 'bumper' or bump stop on the shaft of the shock.

I'm not sure they'd have anything like that on a front strut.....
    You could check out their website - they have lots of neat stuff.

http://www.doetsch-shocks.com/

4. Mar 31, 2011 at 10:19 AM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    ^I think you mean on the outside of the shock for bump stop or up travel. I think he is looking to limit down travel or droop

5. Mar 31, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    ARB locker and OBA, All Pro front & rear bumper, All Pro IFS skid & modified t-case skid, Custom Trans Skid., 4x Innovations sliders, Custom tire carrier/bed bars, Warn Winch, Fox 2.5" Front coilover, Walker Evans 2.5" rear Shock, All pro Leaf, All Pro U-bolt flip, Baja Designs lights, PIA 510 lights, TRD exhaust cut back, Doug Thorley Pipe Bomb
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am talking about the downward travel. Thats what I figured as far as the shock was concerned. There is nothing in there to keep the piston from slapping the bottom of the body. A tech at FOX just confirmed the same.

FOX suggests their 5" mid travel coilover kit for aftermarket UCA's. And last question.... Has anyone with say LR, AP, or TC UCA's and running 5" travel coilover had trouble with top out?

Pap

6. Mar 31, 2011 at 12:09 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Right....but if there's no other way to prevent the 'slap' - the shocks that I was referring to, have a built in bumper right on the shaft itself thus preventing the slap (so to speak).

I just wasn't sure you could get a strut with a bumper on it.

7. Mar 31, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    I think I see what you are saying and was thinking the same. If the bumper is inside the shock body on the shaft and below the piston, it prevents the piston from slapping the bottom of the body. I don't see why that isn't present in all shocks. :confused:

Pap

Products Discussed in

To Top